Sign in to follow this  
Baber20

X-Plane 12 supports full volumetric lighting

Volumetric lighting is disabled by default because it can be buggy sometimes but you can turn it on by changing the value of dataref sim/private/controls/lights/do_spill_fog from '0' to '1'.  After this EVERY light source throws out realistic volumetric lights. Car head lights, street lamps, airport apron lights, aircraft lights, airport ground vehicles. Pretty much everything. Since the lights are real time volumetric, they interact with the weather conditions dynamically and produces some very interesting visuals. Try it yourself.

A330-2022-11-03-09-21-59.png

A330-2022-11-03-09-22-37.png

A330-2022-11-03-09-28-17.png

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

7 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

Volumetric lighting is disabled by default because it can be buggy sometimes

First I've seen this feature. Looks amazing.

Bugs noticed via your own testing? I would expect (hope) something like this to eventually be enabled by default.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

Nice!

True it's buggy, that's why it's deactivated. They absolutely need to debug it, it's spectacular:

dF8QOq9.png

Edited by Murmur
  • Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Do you think maybe I set the taxi light a little on the nuke you side of too bright maybe

l2BiCxZ.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

39 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Do you think maybe I set the taxi light a little on the nuke you side of too bright maybe

Lights of some aircrafts are broken. It is not a problem with the SIM but the planes need to be updated. For example, try the A330. No issues with lights whatsoever.

• Like 1

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

20 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Fixed, omg this kit is Soooooooo niiiiicee

Is it sensitive to visibility settings?

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

40 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

Is it sensitive to visibility settings?

There's quite a few clipping issues, doesn't render through cockpit glass, it seems to murder VR performance, atm its either on or off, but seems to play nicely enough with visibility.

So "coming soon" but definitely off by default for good reasons.

Edited by mSparks
  • Upvote 3

AutoATC Developer

Hmm , well for me the datarefeditor is not showing up in plugins, i just want to check the volumetric stuff.  

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

52 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Hmm , well for me the datarefeditor is not showing up in plugins, i just want to check the volumetric stuff.  

DRE or DRT, art controls

AutoATC Developer

7 hours ago, Humpty said:

The datarefeditor is an add-on, get it here.  https://developer.x-plane.com/tools/datarefeditor/

As mSparks said, it's under the Art Controls,  Just type "fog" in the lower left search box to find it.

10 hours ago, mSparks said:

DRE or DRT, art controls

DRE does not show up , DRT does

Hmm is the OP sure that this is for Volumetric ? I think what it's doing is turning on some fog lights on the aircraft ? 

I thought volumetric would do some other magic like give me Crepuscular rays 😞

Edited by Humpty