Sign in to follow this  
GodAtum

MSFS 7.1.2 Atmos sound?

Anyone use 7.1.2 Atmos surround sound? Or is it overkill for MSFS?

I can't imagine the ceiling speakers will give much unless a plane flies over you or there's thunderstorms above you?

Not sure. I'm quite happy with good old stereo and a sub woofer myself.  If you do get it to work, I would be interested to know how it improves things for you.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I use Dolby Atmos for Headphones. A big improvement. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

1 minute ago, St Mawgan said:

I use Dolby Atmos for Headphones. A big improvement. 

Does it work for speakers too?

5 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

Does it work for speakers too?

It doesn't. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Just now, St Mawgan said:

It doesn't. 

So I cant use Dolby Atmos for speakers at all in MSFS?

See here - 

Uncanny. I bought it 2 days ago for use with headphones. I read some people raving about it and I always felt the spatial aspect poor in MSFS. I didn't use x-plane much but thought its C172 had a great spatial cockpit sound. Anyway Atmos was a mild improvement over the windows spatial setting I had but my headphones are cheap (for use with VR), so now I have 7 sets of wireless headphones in my Amazon wishlist I'm trying to choose between and also decide if it's even worth it. 

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

5 minutes ago, Spit40 said:

Uncanny. I bought it 2 days ago for use with headphones. I read some people raving about it and I always felt the spatial aspect poor in MSFS. I didn't use x-plane much but thought its C172 had a great spatial cockpit sound. Anyway Atmos was a mild improvement over the windows spatial setting I had but my headphones are cheap (for use with VR), so now I have 7 sets of wireless headphones in my Amazon wishlist I'm trying to choose between and also decide if it's even worth it. 

Corsair Virtuoso RGB 😉

Dolby Atmos is natively supported by MSFS. Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre is a free way to output audio in W10 and W11 if you have a compatible receiver or sound bar. You only have to pay a license fee of about £12 if you want to have access to Dolby Atmos for Headphones too. There aren't too many games that natively support Atmos, but MSFS is definitely one of them. Other games that natively support Atmos on pc are: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2019, Black Ops Cold War, Vanguard and MWii. Forza Horizon 4 & 5, Forza Motorsport 7 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Atmos works flawlessly outputting from my 3070 and from my 6900XT. I advise to get a Display port to HDMI cable. I have my GPU plugged into my LG C1 oled via a HDMI cable and have display port to hdmi cable from a display port on my GPU to HDMI in on my Atmos receivers. This way, cuts out any audio lag from trying to use earc.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 4L0M said:

Dolby Atmos is natively supported by MSFS. Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre is a free way to output audio in W10 and W11 if you have a compatible receiver or sound bar. You only have to pay a license fee of about £12 if you want to have access to Dolby Atmos for Headphones too. There aren't too many games that natively support Atmos, but MSFS is definitely one of them. Other games that natively support Atmos on pc are: Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2019, Black Ops Cold War, Vanguard and MWii. Forza Horizon 4 & 5, Forza Motorsport 7 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Atmos works flawlessly outputting from my 3070 and from my 6900XT. I advise to get a Display port to HDMI cable. I have my GPU plugged into my LG C1 oled via a HDMI cable and have display port to hdmi cable from a display port on my GPU to HDMI in on my Atmos receivers. This way, cuts out any audio lag from trying to use earc.

Thanks thats very useful info. What exactly is MSFS surround? I'm using FSTL traffic and the stereo sound on that is awful. Also, do weather like thunderstorms come from above?

4L0M is correct that Atmos is supported in MSFS. One of the requirements is to download the Dolby Access app (free for home theatre users) and configure your speakers in Windows for Atmos. I can't speak for headphones but with a home theatre setup you need a Dolby Atmos compatible AV receiver linked to you video card over HDMI.

Within MSFS spatial sound needs to be turned on otherwise your height speakers won't output the correct signal.

• Like 1

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

Does one just d/l the Dolby app from the Microsoft store, pay for it and then your good to go? I have a headset capable of using Dolby. Thanks

Eric 

Yes, download the dolby access app from the Windows store. If you are outputting to an Atmos receiver, there is no cost to use it. You need to pay for the Dolby Atmos for headphones plug in, this goes on sale quite often. I think I paid less than £10 for it. The Headphones Atmos app can be used on 10 different devices once you have paid for it, so you can also use it on Series X at the same time if you have one using the same Microsoft account. ANY stereo headset can be used for simulating Atmos in a headset, although the better the quality headset, the better the results.

You can also pay about £20 for DTS X headphones & the DTS X object based sound codec for speakers if your amp/soundbar also supports it and you want to have all options open for object based audio on your pc.

Edited by 4L0M
  • Like 2

What sounds come from above though? Weather, traffic? Has anyone tried FSTL Traffic with surround sound?

Edited by GodAtum
  • Like 1