Sign in to follow this  
cianpars

Run MSFS process as high priority

It's a bit of a pain having to set the priority every time I uses MSFS but I'm finding it's running more smoothly in this configuration.

Is it possible to start the process as high priority via a batch file?  If so, would anyone mind posting the text to do so, bearing in mind that most of us would probably need to edit the location of flightsimulator.exe, but that wouldn't be too difficult.

Thanks to anyone who can provide the text for me to insert into a .bat file.

Whilst on the subject of batch files, could anyone supply the text they might be using to launch several processes, e.g. littlenavmap, fsltl and flightsim.exe.

I guess most of us would be able to edit the location for each process and if a .bat file could be written to do both, that would be fantastic.

Thanks to anyone who responds, whether they create one to do the job specifically or just copy and paste the text from the .bat file they are using themselves.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

All good questions.  I have recently bought Process Lasso, which I believe can do this (high priority) plus more, but I haven't started using it yet.  The free version may do it.

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Thanks Bob, I will take a look.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Here's another third party program to set priority levels. And affinities. And all sorts of other stuff. And it's free.

https://www.bill2-software.com/processmanager/

And here's a video on how to use it to set the priority level.

• Like 2

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

Process Lasso is an excellent program, easy to use and definitely does what it's supposed to including retaining affinity/priority including I/O priority.  I have all processes running off of Core7, where MSFS' main thread runs, have changed MSFS process priority and I/O to High.

It is one of several actions taken recently that have yielded best ever flight performance (meaning smoothest, most stutter-free and it is, etc)

• Like 4

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 11/20/2022 at 9:39 AM, JimBrown said:

Here's another third party program to set priority levels. And affinities. And all sorts of other stuff. And it's free.

https://www.bill2-software.com/processmanager/

And here's a video on how to use it to set the priority level.

I use this and it works well the only caveat I found is I need to start the addons I need (Spad.next, FSLTL etc) then MSFS and once I am in the aircraft at the gate I start Bill's process manager which will take care of all the affinity's and the priorities. If I start the process manager first MSFS will CTD every time. For some reason MSFS does not like it if the affinity is changed before it is fully loaded. If I have to quit the sim a simple reboot is required then I repeat the process. I have all my addon apps on my E-Cores and just leave MSFS on the P-Cores

• Like 3

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Also used Lasso, but after upgrading my PC with an AMD CPU, MSFS always crashed with Lasso activated.

Now i’m using dAffinity, a small tool to set the CPU Core Affinity and CPU priority for each program running. You can try and use it for free; with the paid version you can save your preferences so it’s setup automatically each time.
I run FSUIPC, FSLTL, Fenixsim, etc all on the last 4 (HT) Cores and leave the rest for MSFS and windows. 

https://www.d7xtech.com/daffinity/

Maybe something you can use.

Kind Regards,
Andre

Edited by Andre92
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Andre92 said:

Also used Lasso, but after upgrading my PC with an AMD CPU, MSFS always crashed with Lasso activated.

Now i’m using dAffinity, a small tool to set the CPU Core Affinity and CPU priority for each program running. You can try and use it for free; with the paid version you can save your preferences so it’s setup automatically each time.
I run FSUIPC, FSLTL, Fenixsim, etc all on the last 4 (HT) Cores and leave the rest for MSFS and windows. 

https://www.d7xtech.com/daffinity/

Maybe something you can use.

Kind Regards,
Andre

Thanks Andre, did you ever contact Justin of Bitsum, the developer of Lasso on AMD?  I'm contemplating moving to AMD CPU next year.  At least there is dAffinity you are saying.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

No, i didn’t. Just happened to find this alternative and never bothered with Lasso again. Lasso is also a great program (if it works).

Regards,

Andre

16 hours ago, LouP said:

I have it starting up on high priority with no issue with a simple edit to the registry.  Take a look here:  736: Set MSFS Priority to High at All Time #3 – FSX TIMES (wordpress.com)

Did set this but where can i see that it actually runs in high priority now (Win 10 Pro)?
Not in Task Manager anyway...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

14 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

Did set this but where can i see that it actually runs in high priority now (Win 10 Pro)?
Not in Task Manager anyway...

Does it not show in task manager when you click on details, then right click on the flightsimulator.exe process Lange?

With the registry hack set (double checked again just now) the priority still stays at "Normal". So the register thingy doesn't work.
Then i used this: https://fsxtimes.wordpress.com/2021/08/15/726-set-msfs-priority-to-high-at-all-time-2/ (set High and Save for FlightSimulator.exe)
If i then check Task Manager again, the priority is on "High", however, if i quit FS and rerun, it's again at "Normal" so it doesn't stick. It's not permanent.
If i run ProcessHacker again it's still set to High but in fact it's back to Normal if i pull up Task Manager along side. If i then confirm it again in Process Hacker, it changes in Task Manager to High until i quit FS.  

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

1 hour ago, Lange_666 said:

So the register thingy doesn't work.

It definitely works for me everytime i load the sim. 

• Like 1

After a triple check it does for me now to. Made a (easy overlooked) typo in the reg edit. 
Made a subkey named PrefOptions instead of PerfOptions which doesn't make it work.
Overlooked on the double check but nailed on the triple one.

• Like 2