Sign in to follow this  
rlaycock

Sugestions as to why DX12 causing CTD?

Hi all.

I recently bought a new PC Intel I9 12 gen with the NVIDIA 4090 card, I am still on Win 10 pro.

If I select DX12 and the frame gen thingy I get Crash to Desktop after about 30 min of flying.  It seams to be not dependent on aircraft or location etc.  If I revert to DX11 all is stable but not quite as smooth!

Any suggestions of what might be causing the Crash?

Or is this just something I need to expect as DX 12 is still Beta?

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Best wishes.

Bob

Hi

Thanks for the reply. 

I did wonder about NVIDIA drivers so I updated them today but with the same result.  Perhaps its just the beta thing. 

It not a big issue Its just with DX11 and DX12 I seam to need v-sinc enabled to stop the screen tearing. 

With DX11 It feels as like the FPS cant quite keep above 60 all the time (60 is my monitor refresher rate) so my theory is, the game drops to 30 for a few seconds particularly when panning etc.  However with DX12 it is super smooth in all situations.  My theory is DX12 stays well above the 60 FPS so it never drops to 1/2 of the screen refresher rate ie 30 FPS.

At least that's my theory, but as a old Mechanic Engineer what would I know about all this stuff.

Best wishes.

Bob  

1 hour ago, rlaycock said:

Any suggestions of what might be causing the Crash?

Or is this just something I need to expect as DX 12 is still Beta?

I've tried different drivers as well.  HAGS enabled or disabled. My only suggestion would be to try one of the studio drivers, because that is one thing I haven't tried.

As you might guess I have the same issue (occasional CTD in DX12 mode) although not as quickly as you do.  Sometimes I can fly for an hour or two before it happens.  I cut them a little slack as DX12 is indeed still beta.  It is not specific to your 4090.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I've had all sorts of issues when trying DX12 - though I admit many of those are probably caused by any one of my hundreds of addons (LOL!). On my old/mediochre system, I didn't really get much of an FPS improvement or more smoothness. Maybe more obvious on higher end systems.

Any way - as regards doing the all too familiar "driver dance" I found NVCleanInstall makes it all very painless. A great little program:
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-nvcleanstall/

• Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

I have no problem w/ CTD and use DX12 and Win 10.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I have issues with DX12 when AI traffic is involved. There is a significant drop in performance with DX12 compared to DX11. That's on a RTX3090, I7 11000K at 4.5 GHZ, with 64GB of RAM on Windows 11.

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Hi all

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

A quick update.

I chose to accept DX12 is still beta so until it is out of Beta I will stay with DX11

Something Adamski_NZ said to me the other night got me thinking about my monitor.  I was mistaken, it is not locked at 60 refresher rate, it was however set at 60.   It can indeed go up to 120 So I set it at 100.  In MSFS2020 it was a smooth as silk.  However lost of screen tearing. so in MSFS 2020 I enabled V-Sync at 50% of refresher rate.

I now believe I am getting 50FPS locked everywhere which has removed the screen tearing and minor stutters when panning. 

Not quite as good as having the the frame generator thingy on but as the frame generator thingy requires DX12, which is causing my crash to desktop I will be more then happy with DX11 and locked 50 FPS which appears very smooth to my old eyes.

Best wishes

Bob