Sign in to follow this  
Petraeus

Dumb question - 'Quality of Life'

What is meant by the expression 'Quality of Life' in the context of improvements to software?

I've heard the expression when talking about terminally ill people for example, or the benefits of working from home rather than the office, but the examples of 'QOL' quoted in the marketing blurbs don't seem to be anything more than minor tweaks. Am I missing something? Why don't I notice the quality of my live improve when I go to version 1.03b?

Petraeus

Improvements that will generally improve the product over time, would be my taking on it. A good example would be the PMDG 737 range, and their forth coming EBC in my opinion would be an example.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

Quality of life means simplyfying typical user procedures and routines in programs, like only needing 3 clicks to start a flight instead of 27. That's why most of those changes are only minor tweaks. It's like enhancing the quality of the user experience without changing any of the core of the software.

I suppose that user-friendly was worn out and they needed something sounding more grandiose. This is how the good ole patches became service packages😁

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

QOL is basically any improvement that does not improve the core functionality of the product but provides other benefits.

In terms of a pickup truck it might range from more durable paint through to an easier to mount cargo cover for the rear tray.

Software that doesn't have to be debugged by by the user group.

Bill W

Quality of life is in the eye of the life that expects quality.  It's different for each person.

I don't know what it means for software users.  For me it has to be turnkey, right out of the box.  No fiddling or adjusting.  For another person it might mean, "I can improve this with a tweak or two."  People who like to fiddle with things to make them better.

But in general terms 'Quality of Life' is different things to different people.  

For a single construction worker it might mean a cool one at a favorite tavern and a friendly blond sitting at the end of the bar.

For a married office worker it might mean coming home from work, relaxing in a recliner, and a wife bringing a glass of Scotch, no ice, and the aroma of a pot roast just taken out of the oven.

It's really undefinable except in personal terms.

Noel

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Thanks. Sounds like what we used to call, when I worked in IT many years ago, 'Usability'. In fact we had 'Usability Laboratories' to work out how to improve the user experience.

I suppose 'Usability' was itself a jargon word.  But at least we didn't stand around talking about 'quality of life', sounding like doctors deciding whether to switch off someone's life support.

Edited by Petraeus
  • Like 1

Petraeus