Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

Beverage Cart Delays Flight

Taking a 757 from KSAn to KJFK we sat at the gate with all passengers on the plane for 15 minutes.  Finally the pilot said a beverage cart was missing and that can throw off the weight and balance of the plane.  Without the cart, we can’t take off.  So we had to wait another 10 minutes until catering got another cart.   Was this a BS excuse?  I mean can 1 less cart throw off the balance of a 757-200?

Paul Gugliotta

Sounds like BS to me. I worked weight and balance for a major airline and the deduction of a few hundred pound is not going to make enough of a difference to delay a flight. Planes leave all the time without their full complement of catering carts.

NAX669.png

Maybe that cart had the pilot's cognac on it.

• Like 4

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Fifty quid says it was the crew food trolley. 

"we can't take off without the cart" 

Moaning crew again..... Welcome to to my world. 

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

In reality of course it wouldn’t make any difference to the aircraft, …however, that one cart would be required as part of the aircraft’s certified basic operating weight and index. That’s the aircraft weight prepared for service with all its carts and peripherals loaded.

However trivial it may seem the load sheet and loading would be incorrect without it and I don’t think you can LMC ( last minute change) a change to the BOW it’s a certified figure .

Ive often said the hardest part of flying big jets is getting them off the gate.

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Nice resume jon b.

Jim

Edited by jagabom
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 10:31 AM, jon b said:

In reality of course it wouldn’t make any difference to the aircraft, …however, that one cart would be required as part of the aircraft’s certified basic operating weight and index. That’s the aircraft weight prepared for service with all its carts and peripherals loaded.

However trivial it may seem the load sheet and loading would be incorrect without it and I don’t think you can LMC ( last minute change) a change to the BOW it’s a certified figure .

Ive often said the hardest part of flying big jets is getting them off the gate.

ive put delay codes on flights before because the crew cart only had apple juice not orange juice.

ive put delay codes on flights before because the crew cart didnt have quavers crisps but hula hoop crisps instead. 

ive put delay codes on flights before because the crew cart didnt have the flight decks halal meal before.

ive put delay codes on flights before because the crew cart  didnt have any cheese.

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png