Sign in to follow this  
shamrockflyer

Autopilot Disconnecting In Turbulence

In every aircraft from the ini A310 to the PMDG 737, everytime I am in flight where there is some moderate turbulence the autopilot disconnects sending me either into a nose dive and immediate right turn or staying level and only veering slightly off course.

It is making most flights difficult to do as they constantly need attention and a close watchful eye so that if it does disconnect I can quickly take manual control and get back on track. f

I don't use time acceleration and never will, I like to set up a flight, get to cruise altitude and depending on how long it takes - do stuff around the house or walk to dog etc. Is there any ideas on what could be causing this issue?

Can happen in a real aircraft too.

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

You want a "real" plane, so you have a real plane. that is reality. in turbulence you should fly manual.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shamrockflyer said:

I forgot to mention that its not just in turbulence, it happens at random times too.

Could be one of a few things to check for:

A multiple binding under MSFS controls (keyboard / mouse / yoke / throttle / rudder / other HID) that also disconnects the AP or moves a flight control surface/trim tab without you knowing.
In Windows power options, USB Selective Suspend Settings marked as Enabled.
A controller getting old and giving spurious commands.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

5 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

Could be one of a few things to check for:

A multiple binding under MSFS controls (keyboard / mouse / yoke / throttle / rudder / other HID) that also disconnects the AP or moves a flight control surface/trim tab without you knowing.
In Windows power options, USB Selective Suspend Settings marked as Enabled.
A controller getting old and giving spurious commands.

The thing is that I have AP DISCO ON CTRL INPUT disabled on the PMDG 737.

I have gone through all my windows power options and set all USB settings that I could to not go to sleep when not in use.

My controllers are all new with the oldest being around three years old. They are all calibrated and do not have any connection issues.

9 minutes ago, shamrockflyer said:

The thing is that I have AP DISCO ON CTRL INPUT disabled on the PMDG 737.

I have gone through all my windows power options and set all USB settings that I could to not go to sleep when not in use.

My controllers are all new with the oldest being around three years old. They are all calibrated and do not have any connection issues.

USB drivers all up-to-date?
Have you tested with an entirely clean community folder? (I had some freeware scenery in my Community folder that prevented default helicopters from working, go figure… 🤷‍♂️ and we know that other add-ons like Toolbar Pushback don't play nicely any more).
Are you sure that there aren't any gusts or significant wind direction changes at the time of AP disconnect? It's causing some people problems:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/very-abrupt-weather-wind-transition-erratic-wind-behavior/528975/364

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/unable-to-add-wind-layer-wrong-windspeed/508370/25

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/live-weather-does-not-match/135263/2799

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, F737MAX said:

USB drivers all up-to-date?
Have you tested with an entirely clean community folder? (I had some freeware scenery in my Community folder that prevented default helicopters from working, go figure… 🤷‍♂️ and we know that other add-ons like Toolbar Pushback don't play nicely any more).
Are you sure that there aren't any gusts or significant wind direction changes at the time of AP disconnect? It's causing some people problems:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/very-abrupt-weather-wind-transition-erratic-wind-behavior/528975/364

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/unable-to-add-wind-layer-wrong-windspeed/508370/25

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/live-weather-does-not-match/135263/2799

Yes when there are sudden wind changes I do find it disconnects a lot more than not.

I forgot toolbar pushback didn't play well anymore, I will remove that and see how it fairs.

2 hours ago, shamrockflyer said:

In every aircraft from the ini A310 to the PMDG 737, everytime I am in flight where there is some moderate turbulence the autopilot disconnects sending me either into a nose dive and immediate right turn or staying level and only veering slightly off course.

It is making most flights difficult to do as they constantly need attention and a close watchful eye so that if it does disconnect I can quickly take manual control and get back on track. f

I don't use time acceleration and never will, I like to set up a flight, get to cruise altitude and depending on how long it takes - do stuff around the house or walk to dog etc. Is there any ideas on what could be causing this issue?

I had that happen a few times with the FBW A320 and the Fenix A320. I solved it by putting a small null zone in each of the controller sensitivity settings. This allows for some movement of the controller without disconnecting.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

2 hours ago, shamrockflyer said:

Does it generally disconnect when you move the stick / yoke / rudder quite a bit? If yes, then it's probably a deadzone issue.

I would bet on "noisy" controls issue or dead zones setup

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I have dead zones set on both my rudder pedals and yoke. Doing a "test" flight in the A310 no amount of moving the controls disconnects the autopilot. Setting wind to the max setting doesn't disconnect the autopilot. The only thing I can think of is the sudden change in live weather stations is causing something to occur.

Are both throttles set in "the notch" - and is the appropriate PWR (knob) setting correct? 

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png