Sign in to follow this  
bszuch

Last 2 days - all ground textures are a dark gray

Have flown out of multiple airports.  Last few days, all the ground textures are a dark gray.  Not just airports, but everywhere.

Any ideas what is causing this.  Recently got Drewieckidesign KEWR that has a dirt layer, but even with it out of the community folder, no change.

The buidings, trees, etc. look fine.  traffic all looks good.

Try clearing the Rolling Cache in Options\Data and see if that resolves the issue.  I do it every time there is an update to MSFS or if I've installed new scenery.

Edited by HUSSAR
  • Like 1

\Robert Hamlich/

Better yet, don't use rolling cache at all, unless you are in the habit of flying repeatedly over the same territory. Otherwise you don't really need it.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2023 at 9:30 PM, bszuch said:

Have flown out of multiple airports.  Last few days, all the ground textures are a dark gray.  Not just airports, but everywhere.

Any ideas what is causing this.  Recently got Drewieckidesign KEWR that has a dirt layer, but even with it out of the community folder, no change.

The buidings, trees, etc. look fine.  traffic all looks good.

What is the solution for this? It started happening to me the last few days, and DX11/12 makes no difference, rolling cache either.

I flew in multiple places yesterday, no issues, so probably not a MS server problem. I'm assuming you haven't had this problem before.

If you have multiple add-ons and anything was updated recently I suppose that could be the source of the problem. Which means pulling your scenery add-ons and re-adding one by one to see if any of them are the culprit.

My only other thought is check any visual settings that might have changed in the past few days.

ASUS MAXIMUS IX CODE Z270, i7-7700K OC@4.8, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, VKBSim Gladiator joystick, CH Pro pedals, Razer Orbweaver Chroma Gaming Keypad, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB (main drive/sim drive), WD Black 1TB HDD

I had this also, three or four weeks ago - but it was immediately after changing Bijan's "Late Winter - Early Spring" back to "Winter N - Summer S".

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

I had this also, three or four weeks ago - but it was immediately after changing Bijan's "Late Winter - Early Spring" back to "Winter N - Summer S".

Been using Winter N-Summer S for months, have never seen that problem. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Obviously we have a few differences between our PC hardware, the drivers, our operating systems - not even including our sim source and its mod state, don't we Bob? Let alone the plethora of different addons and their versions. 

• Like 1

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I was able to solve mine, and the culprit was from Bijan's excellent tree software, but not the seasons themselves.  I had tried and inadvertently left on his experimental snow for the Northern Hemisphere.  Didn't put two and two together till after I turned it off,  that I never saw this issue when flying out of Orlando or Tampa, always northern airports this winter.  The whole ground including airports and regular ground textures looked like they had a fresh coat of blacktop on them.  Even the GTN750 ground on the map was black....   Anyways, since turning the experimental snow off,  no further issues.  Still love Bijan's trees....

-Brian

• Like 1

BTW, if this does prove to work for the rest of you, we should probably change the title of this to say SOLVED......

-Brian

• Like 1

Glad it got you into the right area, Brian - Thanks for the feedback. His 'Seasons' docs do mention this issue, but I only fixed it before reading the docs. . . .  of course. . . . 😁
 i.e.
"4- You may see large darker squares around some airports (mostly in Europe). Mask behaves differently on Exclusion rectangles used in Europe by Asobo.

5- Runway markings may fade with mask values 98, 99, 100 which clears all runways and most roads from snow.  

Again, this is an experimental feature so please understand these issues before using this.

Do not use DX12 with terrain mask as the blending is not compatible."

You're just reminded me! I had this experience at Milfor Sound, complete loss of ground textures. I was going to post something on here but got involved with another flight and completely forgot about it until now! I'm getting too old for this game :biggrin:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hahahahahah!  Good seeing you again, Howard!   "Too old?" -me too, I reckon - but more from the frustration of "MSFS things that should work, but don't" - like traffic. I'm now down to a 'once a month' test flight or two, plus a read of Avsim - just to see if it anything significant is getting fixed. The "up side" of it is - I have a lot more money in the bank . . . . . . and my blood pressure stays where it should be.

ATB

Edited by Paul J