Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Landing Fenix versus PMDG 737

13 minutes ago, Noel said:

Kind of hard to say that unless you have matching sensitivities, no?  When I land PMDG 738 I am making subtle inputs w/ the TM Boeing pendulum yoke and the Saitek before it and no way I can do excessive movements in it and get away with it.

When I first started using PMDG 738 I had been reading about when pilots w/ disconnect the AP on an instrument landing when not using autoland, and the comment was at about 200'.  W/ the MSFS version of the plane it comes in too high for an ILS approach such that if you maintain the pitch establishing in the glideslope I was ending around 100' over the RA at the runway threshold, and could not get landing rates I was after.  So now I hand fly in from about 500' instead of 200' giving me better control over altitude over RA.

Bob, what is your altitude above the runway threshold?  Just a thought

Following the GS, I am usually high over the threshold, unless I dive for the threshold, which is not the way to fly a stabilized approach that I have ever used. And i usually hand fly between 700 and 500 feet agl.

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Would some of you who are getting good landing numbers mind sharing your control sensitivity settings.  That would be very helpful.

Bob Bressert

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Following the GS, I am usually high over the threshold

Why is that I wonder, why are they programmed to bring the pilot in too high?  I guess better than too low? 🙃

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 minutes ago, Noel said:

Why is that I wonder, why are they programmed to bring the pilot in too high?  I guess better than too low? 🙃

Almost every approach, I see the GS indicator diving towards the ground around 250 feet agl. If you maintain the descent rate prior to that, you will land long and miss the touchdown zone. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I once watched a whole video of head-on RL airbus landings and the one thing I saw on all of them was that the flare was only a very small movement and it happens only after 20ft with the throttle closing. 

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Almost every approach, I see the GS indicator diving towards the ground around 250 feet agl. If you maintain the descent rate prior to that, you will land long and miss the touchdown zone. 

I know, again, why?

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I dont like the electric elevator trim in MSFS. I am very inconsistent in landings vs P3DV5. Seems like night and day vs sims. Hopefully all this improves over time. 

Anyone who knows the N1 numbers for common weights in the A320 and B737 for manual thrust?

Thanks Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

49 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

I dont like the electric elevator trim in MSFS

Interesting I didn't know there was one!  I have always (FSX/P3D/MSFS) just assigned a rocker switch to trim up/down and treated like an electric trim--and it works fine for the 3 planes I use the most.  The B78X HD doesn't seem to respond at all to inputs from this rocket switch.

Noel

4 minutes ago, Noel said:

Interesting I didn't know there was one!  I have always (FSX/P3D/MSFS) just assigned a rocker switch to trim up/down and treated like an electric trim--and it works fine for the 3 planes I use the most.  The B78X HD doesn't seem to respond at all to inputs from this rocket switch.

There is a delay in the trim  , at least on all my planes. FSUIPC has a workaround but havent tried it out.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

My best way to land the Fenix is to do it manually without the autothrottle, or using the autoland.

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

Let me ask again, if those who are getting good landing numbers would consider sharing your control sensitivity settings?  That would be very helpful.

Bob Bressert

11 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I think that is a sim issue that has been mentioned several times. Has nothing to do with the Fenix. 

I forget about the ILS as soon as I see the runway or approach lights.

11 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

I dont like the electric elevator trim in MSFS. I am very inconsistent in landings vs P3DV5. Seems like night and day vs sims. Hopefully all this improves over time. 

10 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

There is a delay in the trim  , at least on all my planes. FSUIPC has a workaround but havent tried it out.

You are aware that you do not use the trim at all in an A320? (Apart from setting the TO-trim preflight)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bobterri said:

Let me ask again, if those who are getting good landing numbers would consider sharing your control sensitivity settings?  That would be very helpful.

I have all sensitivity settings at default (except for a Neutral deadzone for my noisy stick).

Most important is to not set a sensitivity curve for the elevator. It would only make your controls more twitchy when using a higher deflection of the elevator - like in the flare. Keep the sensitivity linear for the elevator (and also for the rudder or you will get too twitchy controls in crosswind situations). And do not reduce Reactivity.

Other than that I found it is key for a good landing to properly break the descent rate from 600-700 FPM to 300 FPM at around 50 ft - that is before the flare logic of the Airbus kicks in. From there just gently hold up the nose when the Flare begins with small stick inputs. Then pull back the throttle and gently increase the stick input. Do not pull back the throttle too early. If you do it at the same time the Flare mode kicks in - thus lowers the nose - the aircraft will tend to drop to the ground.

To be able to properly break the descent rate at 50 ft you need to have a good feel for the controls. You won't have that when you only disconnect the autopilot at 200 ft. So I would recommend to fly manually at least from 1000 ft to get a good feel for how the aircraft reacts to your control inputs.

I just  tested it, after a month away from MFS, in the latest Fenix version.

LPMT08-LPPT02 short hop.

Manual flying and throttle after FAF.

Landing was butter, wind was 10 knot with slight cross-component. There was no wing rocking. Uncrabed to align with rw axis just before main touched. Ground physics are still messed though...

I have all axis with 5% dead zone and ON in the Fenix options for realistic pitch sensitivity (so, more sensitive).

Just as I have observed IRL on a few jumpseat experiences in A320s, I start retarding a bit before the aural plays, around maybe 30ft.

Edited by cagarini

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...