Sign in to follow this  
zorro747

TrackIR panning smoothness

Hello, Folks!

Maybe you can help me to resolve my problem. The thing is that I am using TrackIR 5. When I turn my head the movement on the display is smooth but during the motion the picture is jaggy. I don;t know how exactly to explain what I mean, but will try. Just recently I got a brand new comp. The specs are in the signature. Before that I had RTX3070, Z590, i7-11700K. In a default aircraft I was getting pretty much satisfiying results. Even in Fenix or PMDG in light custom sceneries the movement was silky smooth. In heavy airports I experienced that jagginess on head movement. I bought a new comp. Which should be more powerful than the previous one. But as I said even in light aircarfts the movement is smooth but the picture during motion is jaggy. I hope you understand what I mean.

I went through several turorials on youtube how to change the settings in the comp,  nvidia panel etc. But apparently I need somothing to tweak or visa versa.

Maybe you know how to fix the issue?

I see many videos on youtube when people use TrickIR and with lower machines and the picture is very smooth on head turns... 

Intel i9-13900K, GIGABYTE GAMING Z790, GeForce RTX4080, 32GB

It's not really possible for me to understand what you mean without seeing it but I wonder if you are experienceing screen tearing. What monitor do you use? Does it have freesync or g-sync? Are you running MSFS with V-Sync on? What FPS are you running? Does it happen when your FPS drop?

If it is screen tearing your answer will lie somewhere in what I just wrote. As I said though, without seeing what you are talking about I'm just guessing.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Is it jittery simply due to performance dropping as you are turning your head?  Ive used TIR for 18 years but even though its smooth when performance is good it often is jittery at first when I pan about at an airport as the cpu struggles to load all the new objects and ai traffic.  Normally gets better after the objects are cached.  Easy test is NOT to use TIR briefly, just use the mouse look and if its the same then you know its a pc problem and not a TIR problem

• Like 1

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

I believe you are talking about screen tearing, try vsync within the sim and lock your frames to say 30fps and test. 

Edited by CarlosF

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I don't know how exactly to explain the issue. When I turn my head the movement is smooth but the picture during the movement gets kind a blurry. I understand that when the complex scenery is near then it happens. But with my specs I didn't expect such things... My previous setup was simpler but I had a bit worse result, but just a bit...

My monitor has freesync on. 165hz 2K.   In the sim settings are all utra. TLOD 200, texture LOD 150. 

I assume that there should any parameter to tweak, but don;t know which exactly... But the thing is like I metioned before, on youtube there are plenty videos when on lower machines all the head moves are silky smooth and crisp....

10 minutes ago, zorro747 said:

I don't know how exactly to explain the issue. When I turn my head the movement is smooth but the picture during the movement gets kind a blurry. I understand that when the complex scenery is near then it happens. But with my specs I didn't expect such things... My previous setup was simpler but I had a bit worse result, but just a bit...

My monitor has freesync on. 165hz 2K.   In the sim settings are all utra. TLOD 200, texture LOD 150. 

I assume that there should any parameter to tweak, but don;t know which exactly... But the thing is like I metioned before, on youtube there are plenty videos when on lower machines all the head moves are silky smooth and crisp....

As was already posted, see if it does the same thing with Track IR off, using the mouse to look around. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

16 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

As was already posted, see if it does the same thing with Track IR off, using the mouse to look around. 

But I don't think that this is the IR issue...  Because sometimes everything works well. Will try to play around with the settings

On 2/24/2023 at 7:16 PM, CarlosF said:

lock your frames to say 30fps and test. 

Don't do this, 30 fps with track IR is awful.

2 hours ago, zorro747 said:

My monitor has freesync on. 165hz 2K.   In the sim settings are all utra. TLOD 200, texture LOD 150

What are your frames set to? Are they locked or unlimited? I believe trackIR runs at 120hz, so ideally you want 120 FPS at all times for it to be super smooth, or derivatives of this down to around 40 fps. IE you want 40 or 60 or 80 or 100 or 120 fps.... etc. You get the idea. G-sync does help a little in this regard, but if you don't have G-Sync, try locking your frames to one of those numbers and see what happens. Also within the track IR software itself, play with the smoothness setting and make sure precision mode is turned off. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I have had my FPS locked to 30 FPS for years, with Track IR, no problems..

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Yep me too. Very happy with Track IR at 30FPS locked. Panning around the cockpit is certainly smooth to my eyes.

I recall that there was another setting in the sim menu that made a big difference to address the OP’s issue. Was it maybe turning off the camera shake option? Not at my sim to go through the settings.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

3 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

Yep me too. Very happy with Track IR at 30FPS locked. Panning around the cockpit is certainly smooth to my eyes.

I recall that there was another setting in the sim menu that made a big difference to address the OP’s issue. Was it maybe turning off the camera shake option? Not at my sim to go through the settings.

Enabling Precision on trackir software helps smoothen things. I generally have frames locked at 30 but my eyes must detect a flicker or jitter as they tire quickly. If I can get 45 then it's a lot easier on the eyes

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

49 minutes ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

If I lock FPS @ 30 and use TrackIR, the movements are pretty bad, even though I can get 30 without a problem. If I use 60, it's silky smooth.

Like I said, 30FPs with track IR is poor. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

I ate sirloin steak for years, no problem. Then I discovered fillet… 🙂 

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

True, since you did not post your hardware specs that was the first thing it came to ming.

You said you had a 165Hz monitor, I would suggest you change refresh to 120 on your monitor, then set your vsync within the sim to 1/3, this setting will lock to 40fps, which is quite smooth. Try it, you can always revert back if you dont like it.

• Like 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo