Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

I wonder how many are using the HUD with the PMDG

12 minutes ago, micstatic said:

yes please

Just sent you a message

• Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

1 hour ago, Gazzareth said:

Don't know why, even after watching the video's on it I really can't get on with it.

G

It may take a little while for it to click. Once you are confident of what it is telling you and what the symbols mean it really does make things easier. Until then though, it's a bit like wearing a jumper that itches.

• Like 2

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

I use it only when the airline I'm flying is using it/has it installed in the first place. Lots of US carriers do (Delta, United, Southwest, etc.)

What I discovered using the HUD, is that it makes one input the minute corrections the pilot needs to nail a good landing. If you have ever seen videos of real pilots flying the 737, they are moving the yoke up and down and back and forth almost by the second. This is what the HUD makes the pilot do, and the result is nailing the touchdown zone every time. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

What I discovered using the HUD, is that it makes one input the minute corrections the pilot needs to nail a good landing. If you have ever seen videos of real pilots flying the 737, they are moving the yoke up and down and back and forth almost by the second. This is what the HUD makes the pilot do, and the result is nailing the touchdown zone every time. 

Yes, I agree. When you follow the FD circle and understand what the dotted line means and grasp the centre line marker it makes it difficult to ever fluff a landing. I don't think I ever miss a TDZ when using it. PMDG really did a great job with it from what I can see. I'd be most curious what the real world users of it think of it.

2 minutes ago, Jazz said:

Yes, I agree. When you follow the FD circle and understand what the dotted line means and grasp the centre line marker it makes it difficult to ever fluff a landing. I don't think I ever miss a TDZ when using it. PMDG really did a great job with it from what I can see. I'd be most curious what the real world users of it think of it.

What it has done for me is to get me to stop looking at the PAPI  lights and GS, which are not accurate, and now I hit the touchdown zone every time instead of flying over it at 100 feet agl. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

What it has done for me is to get me to stop looking at the PAPI  lights and GS, which are not accurate, and now I hit the touchdown zone every time instead of flying over it at 100 feet agl. 

Exactly right.

15 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

What I discovered using the HUD, is that it makes one input the minute corrections the pilot needs to nail a good landing

Yes the resolution of the flight guidance cue is much higher than the flight director bars on the PFD.

Something that looks like accurate flying on the PFD FD bars might look way off on the HUD guidance cue.  

A top tip to cheat on the landing is during the flair put the top of the  HUD FPV symbol so its just touching the horizon line !

• Like 5

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Never used any HUD with commercial planes. Feels gimmicky. Planes are easier enough to fly already.

Edited by MikeH99

4 minutes ago, MikeH99 said:

Feels gimmicky.

It's not. Airlines are not in the habbit of spending money on things that are not of real value to them or their pilots. Cockpit gimmicks are therefore a no-go, I should imagine.

Try using it. Your opinion may change. It's quite an impressive piece of kit.

• Like 1

I don't like HUDs. I feel they take away my natural "approach feel". I can see the added value, though.

32 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

I feel they take away my natural "approach feel

You have to force yourself to still scan other information and instruments both on the HUD and the PFD/ND otherwise you just get lost in the game of keeping the little circle inside the big circle and you lose your situational awareness and as you say the feel of the aircraft.

Its quite ironic being a long time flight simmer I’ve flown loads of military stuff with HUDs in sims, practically grew up using them in early combat games like falcon. However when I first started using them in the “real” world I found I wasn’t a fan.

They are useful on occasions I’ll admit but don’t do anything an experienced pilot can’t do for themselves using the MK1 eyeball.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

7 hours ago, Kevin_28 said:

I never use it. Perfectly comfortable looking at the PFD.

The HUD is 8 times more sensitive than the PFD. 

I have always used the HUD in the PMDG 737 ever since it first became available many years ago in FSX - particularly helpful in crosswind landings.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."