Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

Wonderful experience.

I was also reluctant to jump onboard but really it was the only sane option. The flight dynamics thing has become a sort of clichee but really there's no comparison, XP just has a whole different feel.

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

1 hour ago, 2reds2whites said:

What lmao? No it's not. It's only realistic if your eyes were made of cameras and their associated dynamic range.

To say it's 100% realistic is absolutely laughable.

Why is it laughable?  If my eyes are inside a real cockpit and I look up, my eyes have to adjust to the outside.  If my eyes are outside the cockpit and I look in, my eyes have to adjust.  This is the case in many non flying situations too.  If this wasn't realistic, why do pilots wear sunglasses or use sun shades?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

19 hours ago, efis007 said:

Elimination of that stupid function called "eye automatic exposure"

For me a fantastic feature. I love it and looks very realistic on my monitor and with my GPU.

• Like 2

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

39 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Why is it laughable?  If my eyes are inside a real cockpit and I look up, my eyes have to adjust to the outside.  If my eyes are outside the cockpit and I look in, my eyes have to adjust.  This is the case in many non flying situations too.  If this wasn't realistic, why do pilots wear sunglasses or use sun shades?

Because the dynamic range between the human eye and a camera is vastly different. Your eyes adjust but maintain a HUGELY more detail in shadow and brightness simultaneously than any camera ever could. 

Pilots wear sunglasses and use sun shades because the external brightness exceeds the eye's tolerance - not to mitigate differential exposure - as any dark objects in the cabin are made equally darker by the sunglasses which keeps the difference constant.

I literally can't believe I'm having to explain how eyes work.

But then again I have to consider that there are those who genuinly believe that if you're sat in an aircraft (or indeed any scenario) that your eyes will see this;

https://imgur.com/a/2PFi4uc

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

WOW! I have just done a night landing in to EGNT in the rain. Holy hell! It looks absolutely amazing! 

One thing, any way to get rid of those funny blocky reflections in the cockpit windows? Only thing that spoiled it. Other than that, nothing has ever come close to that in a sim before! I could almost smell the fuel and feel the water!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, 2reds2whites said:

that your eyes will see this;

I was the one filming... but yes, you know better what my eyes could see.... 

Next time you are driving, pay attention to your peripheral vision, your eyes adapt to the light reflected by the object you are looking at, cameras adapt to the light reflected by what you select. XP isn't "playing camera" it is simulating your iris/pupil assuming you are focused on the center of the screen.

18 minutes ago, 2reds2whites said:

Pilots wear sunglasses and use sun shades because the external brightness exceeds the eye's tolerance

I mostly where sun glasses so I can see the instruments when flying towards the sun

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

2 minutes ago, mSparks said:

I was the one filming... but yes, you know better what my eyes could see.... 

Next time you are driving, pay attention to your peripheral vision, your eyes adapt to the light reflected by the object you are looking at, cameras adapt to the light reflected by what you select. XP isn't "playing camera" it is simulating your iris/pupil assuming you are focused on the center of the screen.

assuming you are focused on the center of the screen.

The mind truly boggles.

If that's what you saw in real life whilst you were filming by the way, you have an extremely serious visual disability. You should see an ophthalmologist immediately.

Edited by 2reds2whites

25 minutes ago, 2reds2whites said:

The mind truly boggles.

If that's what you saw in real life whilst you were filming by the way, you have an extremely serious visual disability. You should see an ophthalmologist immediately.

You seem to have missed

8 hours ago, mSparks said:

(but on balance practically perfect.)

yes, because they need openXR for eye tracking in VR.

You should see an ophthalmologist

You are the one saying the contrast in these two images is the same, not me that needs their eyes checking tbh....

8ekyd4F.png

6oiv8U7.png

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

I also think XP12 should model a higher dynamic range, i.e. higher than the static range of the human eye.

Because, unless the display device has an eye tracker (which could be used to change exposure in real time, depending on what portion of the screen the user is looking at), it will generally result in dark cockpits when the bright external world is in view.

• Upvote 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

25 minutes ago, mSparks said:

You are the one saying the contrast in these two images is the same, 

What on earth are you talking about?

43 minutes ago, 2reds2whites said:

I literally can't believe I'm having to explain how eyes work.

Keep your sarcasm to yourself - of course I know how eyes work.  We are viewing the world on a monitor that can't display the dynamic range of the real world. it appears to me the 'eye adaption' feature is doing a great job of simulating it..

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Just now, 2reds2whites said:

What on earth are you talking about?

You said

2 hours ago, 2reds2whites said:

It's only realistic if your eyes were made of cameras

i.e. implying what XP draws and what a camera takes are the same. Like you can't tell the difference between them?

AutoATC Developer

7 minutes ago, Murmur said:

I also think XP12 should model a higher dynamic range, i.e. higher than the static range of the human eye.

Because, unless the display device has an eye tracker (which could be used to change exposure in real time, depending on what portion of the screen the user is looking at), it will generally result in dark cockpits when the bright external world is in view.

Exactly why an eye tracker or TrackIR does a great job.  As the eyes move around the cockpit the brightness adjusts - works great with my TrackIR.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Exactly why an eye tracker or TrackIR does a great job.  As the eyes move around the cockpit the brightness adjusts - works great with my TrackIR.

and a really wonderful job of simulating your pupil dilating/constricting since the display can't go bright enough to make it actually.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

In the meantime, while LR works to improve the issue, I found a workaround by setting art control dataref "autoexposure/null_lo" to -1 (from default 1, I think).

Still not perfect, but a little better. Some people might think the external world is somewhat overexposed, but I find it more realistic than default, also in terms of brightness.

n20hgVI.png

Edited by Murmur

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]