Sign in to follow this  
Stratocruiser1

MISSING GROUND TEXTURES

I started MSFS today and it did a short update. When the sim started I noticed it looks like I have lost a lot of ground textures. Everything is varying shades of gray. I shut down the sim, shut down the computer and re started it, went to the Microsoft store and checked my files and there were no upgrades to do there. I re started the sim and the same ground textures are missing. There are no taxiway or runway painted outline markers, the runway numbers and markings are gray. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

15 hours ago, Stratocruiser1 said:

When the sim started I noticed it looks like I have lost a lot of ground textures. Everything is varying shades of gray

If you're using the cache option of MSFS2020 Map Enhancement program delete the cache. If not, disregard this post.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Solved. 

I checked my cache option and it is off. I have never created one or use the automatic one in the Options settings. 

I changed the name of my Common package name, shut down the sim, re started the sin and it built a new blank Common file with nothing in it.

Re started the sim and vola. Everything is back to normal.

There must be some scenery in my addon mods that the last update from MS last week does not like. I will add things back is one at a time and see if I can find the culprit.

Thanks

Isn’t there any info from Asobo about this?
I mean just now at EHEH all of a sudden those ground textures appear.

Will this ever be fixed !!!!!!!!

spacer.png

Edited by altenae

MSI Tomahawk Z790, I7-13700K, DDR5 6000mhz, MSI 4090, 3x SSD 980 PRO, Corsair 360 Liguid CPU cooler, Corsair H1200V2 power.

On 3/15/2023 at 1:05 PM, altenae said:

Isn’t there any info from Asobo about this?
I mean just now at EHEH all of a sudden those ground textures appear.

Will this ever be fixed !!!!!!!!

spacer.png

Have you been able to correct this problem? I've had it for months, but I thought it was something that would be corrected in an update but it hasn't. Please can you give me your feedback.

Thank you

Eduardo Lee

(MROC)

38 minutes ago, elee said:

Have you been able to correct this problem? I've had it for months, but I thought it was something that would be corrected in an update but it hasn't. Please can you give me your feedback.

Thank you

That looks like the long known about issue with DX 12 that some users suffer with including myself. It's the single reason I can't use DX 12 and it causes airport ground textures to randomly vanish. It's been a thing from day one with that mode. I no longer believe they are remotely interested in fixing this for this interation of the sim.

However, I don't believe this issue is anything to do with the problem the original poster was talking about.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

16 hours ago, elee said:

Thank you

Still there.
We can go to the moon but this seems unfixable !!!!!

MSI Tomahawk Z790, I7-13700K, DDR5 6000mhz, MSI 4090, 3x SSD 980 PRO, Corsair 360 Liguid CPU cooler, Corsair H1200V2 power.

It seems crazy for ASOBO to want to put MSFS 2024 into us when it hasn't even been able to fix this Dx12 problem. Like many here, we have a 4090 that we cannot use at its maximum because MSFS does not yet have full Dx12 support. Sad. Very sad.

• Like 1

Eduardo Lee

(MROC)

4 hours ago, elee said:

It seems crazy for ASOBO to want to put MSFS 2024 into us when it hasn't even been able to fix this Dx12 problem. Like many here, we have a 4090 that we cannot use at its maximum because MSFS does not yet have full Dx12 support. Sad. Very sad.

Also the prevalent tile-swapping/changing issue that gets worse every time Bing gets updated. 2024 is a non-purchase for me unless that's corrected.

Edited by Bones62
  • Like 2

Wow, I haven't posted on here for seems like over a decade (sort of lost anytime to fly in the sim, but trying to come back). Anyway, I can't fix the root cause of this, but I can make it go away on a case by case basis, ie. you need to do it each time you load a flight.

It only just started to do this to me and not draw all the tiles of an airport over the top of the base satellite images. Sim looked like the images in this thread. If you enable Developer mode and go to 'Debug', then 'Terrain', unselect 'Draw on Terrain' and you'll see the sat image that sits under the drawn on airport textures. Now reselect 'Draw on Terrain' and it will correctly draw all the textures over the top of the base image.

As I say doesn't fix the root problem but alleviates the symptons.

Just for reference AMD 3900x, AMD Radeon Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance. Running in DX12 Beta with FSR2 on Quality and on Ultra with LOD dropped back to 150 / 125.

1 hour ago, OldWiseMan said:

ie. you need to do it each time you load a flight

Sadly in my case more often. As a matter of fact, I also use my sim to do some sort of "sightseeing" to enjoy the visual beauty of the sim, e.g. moving around on a busy airport with the drone prior my flight. And if you do this, the issue re-appears even in the same flight and even if you did do the devmode debug "trick". The "easiest" transient fix for me is still the increasing drone altitude until the tiles are loaded again. Also not working for very long though...

Besides this, I finally downloaded the Map Enhancement Tool from flightsim.to, the tile swapping around my hometown was just unbearable in the last few weeks rendering flying there impossible. With the Map Enhancement Tool at least this issue is gone for now when flying in affected regions. Nice illustration how community fixes core sim issues easily while MS/Asobo fails to do so over months or sometimes even years. Embarassing...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

3 hours ago, OldWiseMan said:

Wow, I haven't posted on here for seems like over a decade (sort of lost anytime to fly in the sim, but trying to come back). Anyway, I can't fix the root cause of this, but I can make it go away on a case by case basis, ie. you need to do it each time you load a flight.

It only just started to do this to me and not draw all the tiles of an airport over the top of the base satellite images. Sim looked like the images in this thread. If you enable Developer mode and go to 'Debug', then 'Terrain', unselect 'Draw on Terrain' and you'll see the sat image that sits under the drawn on airport textures. Now reselect 'Draw on Terrain' and it will correctly draw all the textures over the top of the base image.

As I say doesn't fix the root problem but alleviates the symptons.

Just for reference AMD 3900x, AMD Radeon Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance. Running in DX12 Beta with FSR2 on Quality and on Ultra with LOD dropped back to 150 / 125.

Yes, we have all tried this and is not a fix as the issue comes back very quickly for many of us. Also, using developer mode means no log as far as I'm aware.

If you don't want to deal with it then go back to DX 11. It's the only "fix".

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2