Sign in to follow this  
odourboy

Any Pico 4 users here?

Guest al watt

Thank you all for replying  to my info request..So it would work but not well... Oh well   

al

I have a Ryzen 5 5600x 3.6ghz 6C 12T CPU  A Radeon RX6700XT OC GPU 

I was going to purchase the Peco4 125 for MDS2020 Simming as I only do flight simming and am not a gamer,   but some You Tubers have said it would not work as needs a 3080or 90 above to work..   

Is this true or will the Peco 4 work in my system

I have never tried VR

Thank you 

al watt

Just ordered a Pico 4 as my first headset as well to try out. Information in this thread is much appreciated. Will hopefully get round to testing this weekend.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

Sorry to wake up this again but another future pico 4 future owner, just ordered mine after seeing Mark review in the video below, lets hope 4070ti will be enough to feed the baby

Marques

Ryzen 7 7700x@5.4Ghz | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360| RTX 4070 ti | 32GB Ram @5600MHZ| Crucial MX 200 M.2 500GB |Crucial MX200 SATA 500GB | HTC Vive | XIAOMI 43" 4k TV | Acer Predator 27" G-Sync | AOC 32" Freesync

Congrats and welcome 🙂

Just keep on mind: it is advised tu also buy a usb to usb-c cable to use the headset plugged. Also, if you plan to buy the application "Virtual Desktop", you MUST buy it from the Pico store and nowhere else. 

Absolutely recommend virtual desktop to run it wirelessly. If you have a clean, strong wifi signal at home then it's a great way to connect. The Pico 4 is a very capable headset.

Edited by Donka

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

43 minutes ago, Donka said:

If you have a clean, strong wifi signal at home then it''s a great way to connect

If you don't, you can use a USB to Ethernet adapter and plug your Pico 4 into a gigabyte switch port which your PC is also connected to. The Pico will connect 'wirelessly' (even though it's wired) and give a perfect 1200mbps connection. The right Ethernet adapter can double as a charging port for the Pico. 

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

So you don't need a cable plugged as recharging can be done later? That's very good. Resolution and FPS are also better than a Reverb g2? 

With my Reverb G2 the cables are very annoying and also the pixelated view.

You will get pixels in the Pico4 too, don't get too optimistic 😉 You just get a little bit less pixelated picture than in the G2.

I use my Pico4 with the USB cable 100% of the time. The cable don't disturb me, since I use my Pico for simulations only, and while seating in a chair, so I couldn't care less about the presence of a cable, really 🙂 My Wifi router is not fast enough and I'm too lazy to replace it anyways. So the USB to USB-c cable is a good alternative for me.

1 hour ago, Daube said:

You will get pixels in the Pico4 too, don't get too optimistic 😉 You just get a little bit less pixelated picture than in the G2.

I use my Pico4 with the USB cable 100% of the time. The cable don't disturb me, since I use my Pico for simulations only, and while seating in a chair, so I couldn't care less about the presence of a cable, really 🙂 My Wifi router is not fast enough and I'm too lazy to replace it anyways. So the USB to USB-c cable is a good alternative for me.

Daube, are you connecting using Pico's Streaming Assistant software? Can you detail the steps you use please? I'm curious how this compares with Virtual Desktop as I've heard negative reports using USB C so have never tried it.

I'm using both, sometimes the Streaming Assistant, sometimes the Virtual Desktop. Never both at the same time, they are alternatives, not complementary.

For the Streaming Assistant, I just follow these steps:

1- launch the sim, reach the cockpit (at parking)

2- plug the headset by USB (I don't use the Wifi at all)

3- launch the Streaming Assistant client application on my computer. A window appears asking me which connection method I want to use. I select Wired and confirm.

4- put the headset on my face and activate the left controller only (I don't use controllers in the sim, it's only to operate the headset menus)

5- launch the Streaming Assistant app in the headset. A window appears, I can see my computer listed in there (thanks to the client app), I select it and connect (maybe automatically, I don't remember right now but it's quite straight-forward anyway)

6- I wait for a few seconds, the connection triggers SteamVR automatically, and when it has started up finally, I can see the SteamVR landscape in the headset.

7- I slightly raise the headset from my eyes so that I can see my computer screen, and use my mouse the "select" (put in focus) the simulator window again, because SteamVR window stole the focus at launch...

8- I put the headset back on my nose and I switch the sim to VR using the CTRL+TAB default key combo.

At this point the headset starts displaying the sim in VR mode and I can start operating the aircraft using the mouse.

• Upvote 1

Thanks - I'll maybe give this a try out to see how it compares. I did try Streaming Assistant over Wifi but Virtual Desktop gave the superior image quality. If this is improved over USB C connection than Wifi for Streaming Assistant then could be a strong option.

On 7/3/2023 at 12:23 PM, Daube said:

2- plug the headset by USB (I don't use the Wifi at all)

Does the USB cable at the same time also charge the Pico? Or do you need an other cable for that?

I am just asking because I use the Pico with an USB cable for charging while I am connected via Wifi / Virtual Desktop to MSFS. I don't want to stop a flight just because Pico's battery is empty.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

The cable does charge the headset. However, on my computer (and that might be a problem specific to my computer, I don't know), the charging power is not enough to prevent the battery from depleting. It's slow to deplete, though, so I can fly for two hours at least. 

Maybe with a better motherboard, the USB plug would deliver higher power, enough to recharge the headset when in use. But on mine (quite old), it's not enough. It's good to charge while the headset is OFF, but not enough when I'm in a VR game.

You can purchase a USB link cable which has a secondary input to connect another power source to ensure enough power is supplied to the headset so you don't run out.

Example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BNNF33WH/?coliid=I3EXP9L5WO6H4A&colid=3TYI2PGNS1NV9&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

My PC provides a high capacity charging capability on the USB port I plug into (60W IIRC). He Pico 4 battery depletes, but very slowly. I've never run out, but I think I would if my session ran longer than eight hours.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)