Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

Best MS flight sim for your old laptop is $4.99

Don't get rid of your old laptop.  It's still useful, If nothing else, for the memories and for all those add-ons you bought.  
(76) Top 10 Reasons that FSX Steam Edition is better than Old FSX - YouTube

Kinda hard to believe FSX Steam can be had for only $4.99:
spacer.png

• Like 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Thanks for the heads up!

I purchased FSX-SE shortly after launch in 2014, and I got it for $5. For default planes (or the CLS birds available as DLC), a laptop will be OK... but if you want something heavier (either the Wilco or Aerosoft buses offered there, or reinstalling any PMDG bird), you'll need something better. But well, for someone wanting to start, you only have $5 to lose.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I don't have FSX - SE on my PC anymore, and due to Covid etc I havn't been away on holiday for a good few years.

I did wonder what sim I would put on my laptop if I was going away for a few weeks.

FSX wouldn't ba a bad shout, as I have the PMDG aircraft, and Orbx scenery. Also, you can pop out the PFD which helps on a small laptop screen.

Calum Watt

Lots of life in FSX SE yet.  With FlyInside, it is even a pretty good VR experience.

August

• Upvote 1

Make sure your OS is Win10 or above. Steam will stop supporting lesser versions next year -- https://www.pcworld.com/article/1674070/steam-will-drop-windows-7-support-in-2024.html

• Upvote 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

FSX Steam Edition runs smoother than the boxed versions and I have experience with both.  With this new computer, I bought and installed the Steam version and it is an improvement, well worth the few dollars I paid for FSX Steam Edition.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

On 3/28/2023 at 6:27 PM, k5083 said:

With FlyInside, it is even a pretty good VR experience.

Yes indeed !  Discovering FlyInside a few ago changed everything in simming for me.  Used it with the Oculus CV1.  I still remember 1st time ‘getting in’ to the default KingAir.  Breathtaking.  

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

Some of the major addon builders have put their catalogue of FSX planes up for free. 

A great stick, throttle for a laptop is the TM T.flight. The two large metal ears on the back of the throttle grip, there's one on each side, can be programmed to act as left and right toe brakes. The twist on the stick can be made the rudder. 

Just one USB port on the laptop runs both stick and throttle.

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-One-xbox/dp/B07643TW2V

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

FSX Steam is on sale again on Steam for their Summer Sale at 80% off or U$4.99.

I bought one and running it on a lightweight laptop. Has anyone tried using FSX Steam with Intel's integrated IRIS XE graphics? I'm getting shimmering which is surprising considering the specs of the laptop which has the 11th generation Intel chip.

The laptop specs are pretty good but I can't figure out how to fix the shimmering on the radio stack instrument panel on the default Cessna 172. I don't know if running a 32-bit app on a 64-bit OS is the problem...

Amazon.com: Acer Swift 3 Intel Evo Thin & Light Laptop 14.0" Full HD IPS Intel Core i7-1165G7 Intel Iris Xe Graphics 16GB LPDDR4X 512GB NVMe SSD WiFi 6 Back-lit KB Windows 11 Home SF314-511-753K : Electronics

4 hours ago, Matt Sdeel said:

Has anyone tried using FSX Steam with Intel's integrated IRIS XE graphics? I'm getting shimmering which is surprising considering the specs of the laptop which has the 11th generation Intel chip.

Not Iris XE, but Radeon Vega (which is as bad as yours, no offense). I can keep 20 steady FPS locked in FlyTampa St.Maarten with the Carenado 182 RG and some AI. My CPU can't manage to get 30 FPS there without frying itself.

Regarding shimmering, I don't remember having them. Two things you need to ensure:
1) All your textures have mipmaps
2) Anisotropic filtering is enabled in FSX settings.

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

34 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

1) All your textures have mipmaps

How do I do this in FSX Steam? (I'm not at my laptop now)

I use this utility:

Optimizer Textures (Ordenador)

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/12801

I only apply it to addon sceneries and aircraft.

• Like 1

Best regards,