Sign in to follow this  
PavlinS

My P3D Ortho Project

I am afraid there will be a lot of manual labor in this scenery. 

xU1Sqbq.jpg

Anyway, I found a program that can help me manually create routes, this will be curious. 

I admire your determination, Pavlin. That must be quite labour intensive work.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

I admire your determination, Pavlin. That must be quite labour intensive work.

Thank you. About the guy with the FS2020 posts in the thread - he currently can't respond to any thread in the forum, so prob. that's why he is so silent. 

Guys, decided to postpone the world trip so I can work on my scenery projects. 

At the moment I will produce the photoreal package for Kuala Lumpur manually, which might take some time, hopefully till October. Then, afterwards will do photoreal package for Jakarta, Indonesia, then the whole country of Japan, then Hong Kong area, then even better scenery for United Arab Emirates, that includes both Dubai and Abu Dhabi, then Qatar, the whole country, then maybe Paris, France. 

This 7 projects will take prob. years to complete. I want the level of realism to be higher than landclass product, more like even higher than region product from ORBX. I'll do my best and will create single-placed autogen thru the whole thing. For now concentrating on Kuala Lumpur manual creation. I will post updates once milestones are done. 

Guys, there is a distinguished problem using the SimDirector to place objects. So, I will use ScenProc only and create the autogen there, but I am currently studying the manual of ScenProc to create vector data for the scenery with distinguished highways / vector data. 

6LgQhYx.png

Hopefully this will remove the trees from the highways etc. 

I will use the purchased vector data. Something tells me soon I will have a ready to go scenery for Kuala Lumpur. 

Guys, because I am sick and tired of getting trees where buildings should occur, next few months I will create polygon data for the trees / buildings in the scenery. From now on this is the way I will create my data for scenery. Handcrafted, so it can achieve maximal accuracy. 

rFVglun.jpg

On 5/9/2023 at 1:23 PM, PavlinS said:

This 7 projects will take prob. years to complete...

Years? I thought I saw a survey showing most flightsim users are older than most gamers. Are you sure your target users will still be alive?

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

5 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

Years? I thought I saw a survey showing most flightsim users are older than most gamers. Are you sure your target users will still be alive?

I am not talking only for Kuala Lumpur in this case. I am talking Kuala Lumpur, maybe out in October - November from now, then will be Jakarta, Indonesia, then will be whole VFR Japan, which will require a lot of work, prob. a year till I create all this vector data, then will be UAE, the whole country with exclusion of Dubai and Abu Dhabi cities, because they already have scenery for them, then will be whole country of Qatar, than France. I mean, you realize I am doing this from scratch, it is not only 1 scenery, but multiple. And yes, ofc there will be users. Also what I am doing is filling a whole in P3D - there is not a single photorealistic package scenery for terrain in Asia. Only airports and few freeware ones, that are not containing any vector data in them. 

Also serveys does not mean a thing, when they are not made from all the people in the world that use sim. I mean, the fact that FS2020 users are more than the people that use P3D does not mean that P3D users will disappear. I strongly believe there will be still market for my sceneries, even if it's smaller one. Also I am doing this to make my world trip movie. That's the main goal - photorealistic scenery for the places I do not have one. 

For now I had created only almost 30 polygons, it is taking time, because of the houses around. 

uWqMf5N.jpg

Edited by PavlinS

9 hours ago, PavlinS said:

I am not talking only for Kuala Lumpur in this case. I am talking Kuala Lumpur, maybe out in October - November from now, then will be Jakarta, Indonesia, then will be whole VFR Japan, which will require a lot of work, prob. a year till I create all this vector data, then will be UAE, the whole country with exclusion of Dubai and Abu Dhabi cities, because they already have scenery for them, then will be whole country of Qatar, than France. I mean, you realize I am doing this from scratch, it is not only 1 scenery, but multiple. And yes, ofc there will be users. Also what I am doing is filling a whole in P3D - there is not a single photorealistic package scenery for terrain in Asia. Only airports and few freeware ones, that are not containing any vector data in them. 

I strongly believe there will be still market for my sceneries, even if it's smaller one.

Are you planning to sell these photoreal sceneries you’re creating? If so, since you’re sourcing satellite photo scenery from the Google servers, I don’t think you can sell them without paying for the source material. 

POST EDIT: After reading the link below, I don’t think you’d be able to even distribute your work as freeware, but definitely not for sale. 

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/is-using-google-map-for-scenery-legal.448748/

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Are you planning to sell these photoreal sceneries you’re creating? If so, since you’re sourcing satellite photo scenery from the Google servers, I don’t think you can sell them without paying for the source material. 

POST EDIT: After reading the link below, I don’t think you’d be able to even distribute your work as freeware, but definitely not for sale. 

I am not using the google source material in the scenery. I do polygons based on it, so it is my own work. Also the imagery is from Ortho4XP converted for P3D, which is freeware as well. 

You are giving me idea, maybe I should sold them, but in order to do that I need to have high quality, which won't be easy to achieve mind the fact I am new to scenery development at all. 

23 minutes ago, PavlinS said:

I am not using the google source material in the scenery. I do polygons based on it, so it is my own work. Also the imagery is from Ortho4XP converted for P3D, which is freeware as well. 

You are giving me idea, maybe I should sold them, but in order to do that I need to have high quality, which won't be easy to achieve mind the fact I am new to scenery development at all. 

Just a hint:

The aerial photos you download with Ortho4XP also come from other sources, like Google...

Even if you download the aerial images with Ortho4XP, you have to license them to sell them.

Kind regards, Matthias
My System: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080S, Win11 Pro, MSFS+Prepar3Dv5.3
My photosceneries at the FSXForum and FSDeveloper

A32X_Cockpit.pngbanner_onboard1pfhr.png

5 minutes ago, MatthiasKNU said:

The aerial photos you download with Ortho4XP also come from other sources, like Google...

If you read the whole thread you would know that I had used the Google satellite imagery at first, but since that give me terrible discoloration that was ranted from bunch of people on the first page I changed the source to USA2 server. Also as I said, this scenery projects are not to be distributed, I am going to use them as scenery layouts for the world trip movie I am going to do after I finish them. 

Also I can exclude the imagery from the scenery. Because unlike you I paid for aerial imagery from OpenStreetMaps to download from NextGis. Also I can distribute only the autogen as you do. but that autogen I am creating myself with vector data, that I create myself, so I can distribute it for free. 

Interesting fact - can you tell me how ORBX is creating their aerial imagery then? And how they distribute their terrain packages? 

Edited by PavlinS

14 minutes ago, PavlinS said:

If you read the whole thread you would know that I had used the Google satellite imagery at first, but since that give me terrible discoloration that was ranted from bunch of people on the first page I changed the source to USA2 server. Also as I said, this scenery projects are not to be distributed, I am going to use them as scenery layouts for the world trip movie I am going to do after I finish them. 

Also I can exclude the imagery from the scenery. Because unlike you I paid for aerial imagery from OpenStreetMaps to download from NextGis. Also I can distribute only the autogen as you do. but that autogen I am creating myself with vector data, that I create myself, so I can distribute it for free. 

Interesting fact - can you tell me how ORBX is creating their aerial imagery then? And how they distribute their terrain packages? 

Cool down. That was not meant in a bad way, but only as a well-intentioned hint.

I know, but USA2 is ESRI by the way, so the image data is quite expensive.
By the way, OSM only offers vector data, not aerial photos. And - please excuse me - OSM is an open source project, so the data is also available free of charge. Of course, you can also buy other vector data for the desired area that is not based on OSM. But you always have to decide for yourself whether you need it. I have never needed it myself.

By the way - yes, I can. ORBX or developers of add-on airports buy/license the orthophotos they use in their scenery. They then edit these in, for example, Gimp, Photoshop and then compile them into a bgl. This is the way I also use - except that I process the images entirely with Python and Hexagon ERDAS Imagine and not with Gimp or Photoshop.

Edited by MatthiasKNU

Kind regards, Matthias
My System: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080S, Win11 Pro, MSFS+Prepar3Dv5.3

I found as well that USGS data is free to distribute, because it is licensed under Public Domain. And no worries. I did not got angry, just, this licensing options - is not too early to talk about that, I am not done with the autogen still, I am not done shaping the polygons and vector data for it, it will take months to complete. But anyway, thank you. 

Just now, PavlinS said:

I found as well that USGS data is free to distribute, because it is licensed under Public Domain. And no worries. I did not got angry, just, this licensing options - is not too early to talk about that, I am not done with the autogen still, I am not done shaping the polygons and vector data for it, it will take months to complete. But anyway, thank you. 

Yes exactly, the USGS images can be used free of charge, Spain also offers free images.

And of course you're right, you still have a lot of work ahead of you if you really draw in the polygons by hand - really respect if you want to create such large areas! 
But I warn you in advance: After the 500th polygon it gets really annoying! 😉

Kind regards, Matthias