Sign in to follow this  
Alaska738

Alaska Airlines Salmon People

I suppose that it is indeed gorgeous for some folks, principally those who are enamored by Escher art. But, I ain't one of them! 

• Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Big fan of Tlingit (and Haiden) Art and Culture so this one is a great representation of the Tlingit People

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

Reminds me of World War II "dazzle camouflage".

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

2 hours ago, birdguy said:

How much does it cost to paint and airliner with psychedelic colors?

These give a general idea. I see that Dean Baldwin Painting has an aircraft painting facility at the Roswell Air Center.

https://simpleflying.com/aircraft-paint-cost/ 

https://simpleflying.com/aircraft-paint-waste-analysis/#:~:text=The amount of paint required,(415 liters) of paint.

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

This article just came out this past week, it claims that white paint is the heaviest paint and black paint is lighter, but most planes are painted white anyways when black is more efficient

A can of white aviation paint is an additional 53 per cent heavier than black, 6393.7g vs 4156.7g per standard 3.78 litre can.

Also says those layers of colour add even more weight:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/why-are-planes-painted-white-and-why-is-air-nz-the-all-black-exception/MI727X3XAVGV7CE2JVMO4UH47E/

I like Air New Zealand's black planes and turns out the black paint is about 50% lighter, but the old American Airlines polished metal will always be my favourite 

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

1 hour ago, Matthew Kane said:

turns out the black paint is about 50% lighter,

33% lighter.

If A is 50% heavier than B, then B is 33% lighter than A.

If B is 50% lighter than A, then A is 100% heavier than B.

The video linked below is interesting because it shows the black paint sprayed over white paint then the masking removed to expose the various white markings of the final design. It also shows the tail being sprayed separately by Boeing, which, I believe, is standard practice.

https://www.facebook.com/UNILADTech/videos/painting-an-air-nz-787-9-dreamliner/343110936856054/

Edited by dmwalker
  • Upvote 1

Dugald Walker

On 5/14/2023 at 2:32 PM, dmwalker said:

I see that Dean Baldwin Painting has an aircraft painting facility at the Roswell Air Center.

Yeah, they've been there for several years.  When I was still flying I'd see an airliner taxiing to their hangar from time to time.  Once they had the hangar door open and an Air Force C-130 was getting painted in there.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

it never ceases for amaze me when airlines spend a ton of money on painting aircraft purely for box ticking reasons, then the following week sack the office cleaner, and take away the tea bags in the office due to being lean and trying to save money. box ticking at it best. 

14ppkc-6.png

3 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

it never ceases for amaze me when airlines spend a ton of money on painting aircraft purely for box ticking reasons,

It's all Braniff's fault, isn't it? They started it.

Dugald Walker