Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

I'm trying to speed up my launch of MSFS...

3 hours ago, fppilot said:

Less than a minute.

That was my point really. The difference in load times with zero addons and then over 500 addons (587gb) is just over 40 seconds for me. Disabling anywhere from 10-30% of those addons which takes me approximately 30-60 seconds if I'm really quick reduces load times on my system by maybe 10-15 seconds. It's a net loss in saving time.

Edited by Dave_YVR
  • Like 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

43 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

That was my point really. The difference in load times with zero addons and then over 500 addons (587gb) is just over 40 seconds for me. Disabling anywhere from 10-30% of those addons which takes me approximately 30-60 seconds if I'm really quick reduces load times on my system by maybe 10-15 seconds. It's a net loss in saving time.

Again, not everyone have powerful CPU's and M2 drives. The difference for me just by enabling FSLTL is 2 minutes more of loading. For you it's probably 2 seconds. We need to take people's hardware into the equation. If I'm going go fly in the Caribbean and enable all my addons I have to wait around 8 minutes for the sim to load. If I just enable the few sceneries I'm going to use and a couple planes it's less than 4 minutes. Looks like some of you never used MSFS on an old rig or just forgot how it was.

Edited by Alvega
  • Like 2

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

8 hours ago, Alvega said:

If I'm going go fly in the Caribbean and enable all my addons I have to wait around 8 minutes for the sim to load. If I just enable the few sceneries I'm going to use and a couple planes it's less than 4 minutes

Ok, what I don‘t get is the fact that you save some time with less scenery loading, but on a slow system, how long will it take to open addon linker, choose your addons and then save and close the linker and start the sim. And don‘t forget that everytime you change something in the community folder the loading of the sim takes longer due to some kind of indexing.

Edited by mwe_EDVK
  • Like 1

Ciao Michael

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, Palit RTX 4080 GameRock OC, 64GB Corsair DDR4 3600, MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk Max WiFi, LG C3 OLED 42" 4K Display, ViewSonic 16" Touchscreen.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + Pendular Rudder, Stream Deck XL, Tobii Eyetracker, TrackIR 5.

Windows 11 Pro 24H2 Insider Build

3 hours ago, mwe_EDVK said:

how long will it take to open addon linker, choose your addons and then save and close the linker and start the sim.

Just tried it, took me 20 seconds to open Addons Linker, click the preset button and close it. I don't have to choose the addons because I have them organized in presets for the areas I fly.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

18 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

I don't think your timings with/without add-ons coincide with what most of us are seeing.  I have well over a TB of add-ons (all loaded on a fast M2 drive).  The difference in load time with all add-ons enabled vs disabled for me is probably well over 5 minutes.  Using add-on linker to disabled unused mods is absolutely beneficial to me.   

• Upvote 1

On 5/29/2023 at 11:44 AM, edpatino said:

Get rid of FSUIPC.

There is nothing wrong with FSUIPC, and it doesn't cause slow loading.

• Like 5

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

As the OP, I've gone out and bought a 2TB SSD, my mobo isn't compatible with a NVME drive but its a step up from my ancient HDD.  Just copying Community/Official folders to the new drive now.  At the very least if I don't see any benefit I have 2TB extra space and I was running low anyway.  I'll report back on changes.

Thomas Derbyshire

8 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

As the OP, I've gone out and bought a 2TB SSD, my mobo isn't compatible with a NVME drive but its a step up from my ancient HDD.  Just copying Community/Official folders to the new drive now.  At the very least if I don't see any benefit I have 2TB extra space and I was running low anyway.  I'll report back on changes.

Let me now if you see any improvement in loading times, I may have to buy one too if there is a big difference, which I doubt.

Alvega

15 minutes ago, Alvega said:

Let me now if you see any improvement in loading times, I may have to buy one too if there is a big difference, which I doubt.

I bought this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fanxiang-S101-Internal-Compatible-Desktops/dp/B09XDJPPMB

Reasonably priced for 2TB and lots of great reviews for a budget SSD.

Edited by sidfadc

Thomas Derbyshire

6 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Thanks, what about the loading times?

Alvega

13 minutes ago, Alvega said:

Thanks, what about the loading times?

I'm still copying files across as I type.  Probs about another hour to go.

• Like 1

Thomas Derbyshire

5 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

There is nothing wrong with FSUIPC, and it doesn't cause slow loading.

It did to me, that's why I uninstalled it (I also was not using it too much, really).

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

17 hours ago, mwe_EDVK said:

Ok, what I don‘t get is the fact that you save some time with less scenery loading, but on a slow system, how long will it take to open addon linker, choose your addons and then save and close the linker and start the sim. And don‘t forget that everytime you change something in the community folder the loading of the sim takes longer due to some kind of indexing.

From my perspective....I always start with addon linker anyway, so I'm not gaining or losing anything in terms of time.  I always use addon linker to select or deselect what I want to fly/load etc.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

6 hours ago, sidfadc said:

I'm still copying files across as I type.  Probs about another hour to go.

My finger was itching over the buy button so i decided to go ahead and also bought a 2TB SSD (Crucial MX500) to replace my old Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD. Hope you can tell me your loading times decreased so I don't regret this, lol.

Alvega

On 5/29/2023 at 6:36 PM, sidfadc said:

Addons such as Navigraph or GSX,AIG, FSTL, etc, which have too many small sized files are usually making MSFS launch longer. Addons with larger size with less quantity of files do not. This is the criteria for me.

Edited by kt069

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV