Sign in to follow this  
JBDB-MD80

TFDi MD-11 Goes on Pre-Sale ?

On 6/27/2023 at 1:17 AM, Fiorentoni said:

But don't confuse this with harcore simmers, this is a whole different category and is maybe 10000 to 20000 at max.

That's nice you've come up with your own definition, however weakly defined.  We're ALL using the simulator and therefore EVERYONE is a SIMMER.  Some are obsessed w/ attention to aeronautical fidelity, which is a subset of simmers.  Even the latter are obsessed w/ scenery, cloud depiction etc this is why every one of them spends $$$$$$$ trying to make the other sims look good.   My point is these are in no way discreet categories, they are on a spectrum.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

There we go. Quite impressive. Still not enough to move me beyond my "never pre-order" stance, but I'm liking a lot what I'm seeing 🫡

• Like 1

spacer.png

News Editor at Techraptor, previously at Twinfinite.

spacer.png

I don’t have a “never preorder” rule.  I’ve funded quite a few tabletop rpg game kickstarters, bought plenty of early access titles, and backed Star Citizen.  I do have an “80 bucks is a lot of money to pay in advance, when I can spend that money on something I can use now” thought.  

on the other hand, I want this md11 to be made. Tfdi have shown themselves to make good on products in the past, and the 717 was pretty cool.  These aren’t massive corporations here.  Small companies in this field, especially ones that have to rely on sales of products that take years to develop both before and after they get their small payment have to do something. Probably from the sounds of it, the usual snobbery of tfdi not being one of the holy anointed avsim devs means a bunch of you would be perfectly fine with tfdi going the way Quality Wings apparently has, but I’m not.  

49 minutes ago, ShawnG said:

I don’t have a “never preorder” rule.  I’ve funded quite a few tabletop rpg game kickstarters, bought plenty of early access titles, and backed Star Citizen.  I do have an “80 bucks is a lot of money to pay in advance, when I can spend that money on something I can use now” thought.  

on the other hand, I want this md11 to be made. Tfdi have shown themselves to make good on products in the past, and the 717 was pretty cool.  These aren’t massive corporations here.  Small companies in this field, especially ones that have to rely on sales of products that take years to develop both before and after they get their small payment have to do something. Probably from the sounds of it, the usual snobbery of tfdi not being one of the holy anointed avsim devs means a bunch of you would be perfectly fine with tfdi going the way Quality Wings apparently has, but I’m not.  

Eh, personally, I don't really feel like not being one of the big names is relevant. I've been impressed by what Fenix showed since day 1, and they certainly did not disappoint. Who knew who Pyreegue was before 3 years ago? And yet they make some of the best airports in the sim. FlyByWire didn't exist before MSFS, and yet we owe them much. AeroDynamics also wasn't a thing, and today they have shown more of their DC-10 and it looks mint (we got a 1-2 classic tri-jet punch, how nice).

Regarding TFDi, I'm not fond of their "hey, here's a limited package with a bonus that you can't get otherwise" thing that they did, because that's a tried and true tactic to create artificial FOMO of which I have plenty enough in the gaming industry, but regardless of that, they seem at the very least competent. 

I enjoy all sorts of aircraft, from Aerosoft to Fenix and PMDG. For me the aircraft itself is more important than the brand, so if someone releases an aircraft I want, I'm likely to buy and enjoy it even if it's not 100% ultradetailed, as long as the quality is there (and by quality, I mean the production values and features, not necessarily complexity. There are days I'm in for a 100% complexity flight, and days in which I just kick back and relax), so I appreciate what I'm seeing for now and I'm likely to buy it, unless it proves to be a disaster at release. So far, so good.

Edited by Abriael

spacer.png

News Editor at Techraptor, previously at Twinfinite.

spacer.png