Sign in to follow this  
jmhelms

MS 2020 Reinstall

I just installed a new SSD drive and have need

to re-install MS 2020...any way to do that w/o

paying again and retain all my settings, etc.?..

Any help appreciated...

John Helms

See the chain of posts started by me on this general topic about 10 days ago. I purchased to re-install, but the chain of posts may be helpful all the same as far as retaining settings, previous purchases, etc.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

I really think your reply does not address my question...

I am well aware of Add-on Linker and have used for

ages and highly recommend it...none of your posts

answer my questions about the best way to reinstall

MS 2020...

John Helms

Good luck getting help with that attitude.

• Like 6

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

Steam or Store version?  Steam can't help you.  Store version I just did.  Save you Community folder somewhere safe.  Use the windows app to uninstall MSFS.  Delete the MSFS folder.  Create a new folder on your SSD called MSFS.  Reboot.  Load and run XBox app.  Install MSFS from there into your new SSD.  Once done, copy your Community folder into MSFS folder and do settings.  My camera settings are associated with the aircraft which are in the Community folder.  Everything else I can configure easy.

• Like 2

I just did what u r about to do. I saved my community and official folders. I then ran the install of MSFS from XBox app. When I started MSFS and it was about to update, I paused it. I then replaced the new official and community folders with the back up. I then continued  the update. The entire installation took about 45 minutes. perhaps less, I wasn't timing it.

I did take pictures of my important settings as I expected everything to be default. 

Your control setting however, is saved on the MSFS cloud so no worries there.

If you do not save the official folder and you have slow internet like me, you are in for hours of downloading like the virgin installation.

Regarding paying again. Not to worry ...If steam go to your library. it should be there...If Microsoft, go to Microsoft store and check your library, it is there under games. Or go to xbox app and its there, just follow the instructions.

Good luck. hope I was able to help.

Edited by Romeo_Tango
add information

Robin

As others said. Settings are stored in the clouds. Camera views for your specific airplane are not they are stored locally /Simobjects/Your Aircraft/cameras.cfg.

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

I always follow the KISS method, which in this case means, let the installer do the whole thing start to finish, Store version.  Yes this takes hours because it's essentially a virgin install.  But I could care less if it takes hours I'm certainly not going sit and watch install itself!  I've done one new install in Aug 2020, and two complete reinstalls, both after reinstalls of Windows 10 fresh.  I do save the Comm folder then drop it in as appropriate.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

22 hours ago, jmhelms said:

I really think your reply does not address my question...

I am well aware of Add-on Linker and have used for

ages and highly recommend it...none of your posts

answer my questions about the best way to reinstall

MS 2020...

John Helms

Why do you need to reinstall? Just move your main folder to the SSD and you're done. 

RocketRod...excuse the delay in gettng back...i have had a stroke...

I launced  the Windows App, found MSFS, found it recognized i owned

it, asked if i wanted to reinstall it somewhere and i said yes, and nothing

happened...its like it couldn't find MSFS...in my journey to two large SSD

drives i have one with my MSFS and all it's data on it…set up and ready to go

....my computer doesn't

rocognize it because the people who installed W-10 didn't use "John"

in my "User" account, buy used "Admin"...one word off in

in the path to MSFS....I can either find out how to delete MFSF and

follow your instructions; or, 

repair the path to MSFS....how to remedy?...

John Helms

@jmhelms

The procedure I exampled was just detailed in a zendesk report and they didn't comment on anything wrong with it, so I assume from that and it worked for me its right.  When Windows Uninstalls MSFS, it does not completely uninstall it.  Hopefully you saved your Community folder and any preferences and camera settings before your uninstall.  What should be left is the MSFS/Official folder.  Ensure you delete that prior to install.  I used the XBox app on my pc to install.  It will install a small file to your C:\ drive and then you can select where to install your MSFS Files.  I created my folder before hand.

You need to get comfortable with how to access those drives now before you lose the data.

Oh, hope you recover quickly.

Edited by RocketRod