Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Probably the most powerful desktop flightsim Ever!

FLIGHT UNLIMITED (1)...

I bought the first version ( floppy disks ) for MS-DOS in 1995 and then it's CD version during a trip to Berlin to attend Java's kick off  in late 1997 - all in German 🥴

It's been a long time since I last played FU, but I still retain the experience as UNIQUE and probably one of the very Best I ever had in a desktop flight simulator.

FU2 and FU3 were great flightsims too, but not as special flight dynamics wise as FU (1).

Interesting to read about the creator of FU 1 - Seamus Blackley Seamus Blackley - Wikipedia

It was the first time I got aware of the reason why he left the project and also Looking Glass Technologies  - he refused to create what would become a direct competitor of Microsoft Flight Simulator, and was fired from LG 😕

Also interesting to learn about the roots of one of the most interesting combat flight simulators I tried back then: Jane's Attack Squadron...

Edited by jcomm
typos

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Well I must admit I had not thought about flight unlimited in quite some time, and was actually a bit surprised that it might still be an ongoing concern.

With that in mind I attempted to look up some videos regarding the current state of the SIM and was unable to find anything recent at all.

And by recent, I mean within the last year.

Is this sim dead, Or is my search criteria bad?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I still have FUI (the CD version) on my shelf. Would you think it can be installed and would work on an present-day PC?

And I agree, it was a great Sim, albeit performance was marginal at its time.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

And the support from Richard Harvey (I think that was his name) was stellar.  Unfortunately I think he passed away to cancer if my memory serves me correctly. 

These guys implemented things such as taxiing too close behind a larger aircraft providing warning messages from atc about jet blast affecting your aircraft or atc screaming at you if you veered off the taxiway. 

If I recall they also implemented PCL (pilot control lighting). 

Awesome sim for it's time FU1 that is. 

• Like 1

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

LOL!! You wrote Flight Unlimited but I was thinking FlightGear! 😀

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 hours ago, crosswind said:

And the support from Richard Harvey (I think that was his name) was stellar.  Unfortunately I think he passed away to cancer if my memory serves me correctly. 

Wasn't Richard Harvey the founder of Fly II ? I don't think he had anything to do with FU? I was a beta tester for Fly II that's why I remember the name. They still sent out CD-ROMs with the beta! 🙂

• Like 1

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

@Silicus You are correct, and thanks for the correction on Richard Harvey.  Dealing many developers over time you kind of loose track.

• Like 1

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

I remember Flight Unlimited ATC and Taxi guidance system was revolutionary (something that MSFS later adopted). The Flight Characteristics were better. The Photogenic Scenery wasn't anything new but the quality in FU was far better due to being a limited to a smaller area. Yes I spent many hours in it, with the second and third release not so much. The Flight Sim Community gained a lot from FU raising the bar at that time.

• Like 2

Matthew Kane