Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Terrible tile/loading issues Venezia area ( Italy)

47 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Are you saying that Asobo do not always use the best quality Bing images? S 

hmmm, a two-step answer if I may

I don't know whether Bing imagery is good in the first place... Awyway, the MSFS imagery quality is inconsistent : apparent seams between tiles, color and resolution discrepancies. And things are not getting any better. It seems that scenery has become the poor cousin in Redmont, contrary to what the common wisdom says.  You know the "its only a scenery simulator" BS.

But, you see Christopher, with all its faults,  the sum is greater than the parts. Thats why we love it. Tough love but love nevertheless 😄. The day P3D offers me the imagery (even inconsistent) for the whole world, great built-in weather, great flight modelling including turbulence as we have never seen before , regular scenery free DLC, I may consider returning. Maybe. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

5 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

As for server capacity I don't know... the issues are reproducible and come out in the same areas and to the same extent at different times.

I fully agree. All of this is fully reproducible already in the World map. As we know, the same textures used in the Map are used later when flying. Varying altitude (and hence varying LOD of the textures) corresponds to zooming in and out of the Map and can be easily simulated. I tried at different times and on different days, but got the same results.

Concerning the question why I see generic textures now at locations where I saw real aerials just a few weeks ago (and took screenshots!), my theory is that the team from time to time replaces older satellite textures with new ones. The new ones are processed only by AI due to sheer volume of them, not by real people. If the new aerial tile contains e.g. a white cloud blocking its part, AI then blindly smashes generic textures over the cloud covered area. It doesn't look at the older tile, where the depiction was actually good enough and could be happily used...

I do agree that it feels worse now then let's say a year ago. Including texture popping between the old ones and new ones.

Finally, I do have to admit that WU14 brought new aerials (satellite textures)  to some areas, e.g. Czech Republic, and those areas are now suddenly 3x better concerning all ground texture issues described above. But, I am afraid, the WUs are not curing the basic wish of most of us: To have consistent and up-to-date satellite imagery wherever available and possible.

Edited by David_CSA
  • Like 1

Intel i7-10700K OC 5.0 GHz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB OC 2145 MHz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming | AiO cooler Corsair H115i Pro XT 2x140 mm | Corsair RM850x 850W Gold | Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow | Monitor 32" LG UltraGear 32GK850G G-Sync 1440p

On 7/27/2023 at 1:58 PM, GSalden said:

Like there are multiple seasons ….

I just checked the area from your video and it looks very different on my end. I have photogrammetry there and zero tile popping. Activating PG and/or installing WU Italy  might solve the problem in that particular place. 

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Regarding different imagery in the same area. I don‘t quite understand why they do that. In places where there‘s no texture swapping the same imagery is used for all LODs, e.g. in Switzerland. You can zoom out as far as you like and the imagery doesn‘t change, e.g. fields look exactly the same and cars stay where they are no matter what zoom level. Why is it possible here and not in other places?

By the way, Swisstopo has new imagery that‘s more up to date and of a higher resolution. Would be great if they could incorporate that (it‘s free after all).

PrZ1XZM.jpg

top: new imagery; bottom: current imagery

Edited by Shack95

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

8 hours ago, Shack95 said:

I just checked the area from your video and it looks very different on my end. I have photogrammetry there and zero tile popping. Activating PG and/or installing WU Italy  might solve the problem in that particular place. 

Photogrammetry is On and WU Italy is installed….

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

13 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Are you saying that Asobo do not always use the best quality Bing images?

They most definately don't. I keep on notiticing this over and over again, when I compare the newest Bing Map images available on "Maps" and injectable through the "Map Enhancer" Tool against what is in the sim by default. 

Edited by Farlis

13 hours ago, GSalden said:

Photogrammetry is On and WU Italy is installed….

Weird. That's how it looks here:

65ZA8SR.jpg

As I said, I get no texture swapping at all in this place.

2 minutes ago, Shack95 said:

Weird. That's how it looks here:

65ZA8SR.jpg

As I said, I get no texture swapping at all in this place.

Thanks.
If I get very close I also get the correct tiles. 
Tomorrow I will try the area again. Maybe it looks better then…

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Hello,

I've been experiencing this issue lately. It is really annoying. I've always been impressed by the visual quality of the scenery but now there is a big problem. I hope Asobo can fix it.

Another minor issue is when you have trees scatterred on top of mountains where there is no longer any vegetation. Unfortunately there is no option to reduce the tree density. Not realistic at all.

I don't like complaining about MSFS because it is such a nice software, but...

Edited by yankeegolf3
typo

2 hours ago, yankeegolf3 said:

Another minor issue is when you have trees scatterred on top of mountains where there is no longer any vegetation. Unfortunately there is no option to reduce the tree density. Not realistic at all.

And fields...

It's an issue with the AI algorithm that places them automatically. It needs refinement. Until this comes, if ever, we are left with having to use manual exlusion files. Someone did an extensive rework of Switzerland and uploaded it on flightsim.to

What no one cleans up by hand, will remain dodgy. The shortcomings of using machine learning for doing this as an automated process.

Edited by Farlis

37 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Someone did an extensive rework of Switzerland and uploaded it on flightsim.to

Wow, that‘s great. I didn‘t know that. Thanks for the heads up!

3 hours ago, yankeegolf3 said:

Hello,

I've been experiencing this issue lately. It is really annoying.

Do we have any idea or suspicion why this issue is worse now?

Several people noticed degradation of landscape tile textures and their behavior especially lately...

Intel i7-10700K OC 5.0 GHz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB OC 2145 MHz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming | AiO cooler Corsair H115i Pro XT 2x140 mm | Corsair RM850x 850W Gold | Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow | Monitor 32" LG UltraGear 32GK850G G-Sync 1440p

Perhaps a clue?  In my particular neck of the woods, KSBM area (outside of the Sheboygan photogrammetry area), I’ve noticed this issue and the tiles that pop in are much NEWER than ever seen before in the sim - I can tell based on how certain newer buildings in my town (Plymouth) are suddenly appearing on the imagery but WITHOUT autogen.

Also outside of the Oshkosh (KOSH) and Rockford (KRFD) photogrammetry areas - the imagery used to look like winter/early spring (and thus silly), the tiles popping in at the last second are much better!  But they pop in and out.

Maybe work is afoot to update all LODs with nice, new imagery?

So, I’ve taken to either flying in SoCal or Seattle areas in MSFS or flying in XP12 anywhere else. 🙂

9 hours ago, Republic DC9 said:

Perhaps a clue?  In my particular neck of the woods, KSBM area (outside of the Sheboygan photogrammetry area), I’ve noticed this issue and the tiles that pop in are much NEWER than ever seen before in the sim - I can tell based on how certain newer buildings in my town (Plymouth) are suddenly appearing on the imagery but WITHOUT autogen.

Also outside of the Oshkosh (KOSH) and Rockford (KRFD) photogrammetry areas - the imagery used to look like winter/early spring (and thus silly), the tiles popping in at the last second are much better!  But they pop in and out.

Maybe work is afoot to update all LODs with nice, new imagery?

So, I’ve taken to either flying in SoCal or Seattle areas in MSFS or flying in XP12 anywhere else. 🙂

Thank you very much for your analysis. 

It again overlaps exactly with my experience, for example around LOWI Innsbruck in Europe. Like fighting of older and newer tiles, sometimes photographed in a different season. 

It looks like that even more LODs are now used at some places, but the system is not tuned... As if not controlled at all. 

And actually, when flying at 500 or 800 feet AGL, nobody wants to get any swapping of textures (despite showing even higher detail), because one is so close that the immersion gets totally lost...

8 hours ago, David_CSA said:

Thank you very much for your analysis. 

It again overlaps exactly with my experience, for example around LOWI Innsbruck in Europe. Like fighting of older and newer tiles, sometimes photographed in a different season. 

It looks like that even more LODs are now used at some places, but the system is not tuned... As if not controlled at all. 

And actually, when flying at 500 or 800 feet AGL, nobody wants to get any swapping of textures (despite showing even higher detail), because one is so close that the immersion gets totally lost...

Exactly, it is like a duel between older and newer tiles, as if there was no priority, with no winner. It should be fixable, or I am being naive...

It does not happen everywhere. Last night I flew in wyoming and the scenery was perfect. Maybe there only old tiles only at that area.