Sign in to follow this  
fakeflyer737

Oops Opt out BETA

So I decided to opt of the next beta because I don’t want to really deal with the bugs etc. Upon opting out MSFS did a full reinstall. 

I say it went to the install screen but I figured it was just a quick up, I left the room and it reinstalled itself. I booted MSFS up and everything is gone. I use addon linker so all of my stuff is on the fake addon community folder. 

So what do I do now?  How do I tell MSFS to look at my addon linker community folder? Also, seems like MSFS installed in its default location and I always had it on my m.2 drive, can I change the path or any I screwed?

cheers 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

The place to change the path is at the "Waiting for Updates" screen that  you see while booting up the sim. Down at the bottom is where you change the path. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

2 hours ago, Fielder said:

The place to change the path is at the "Waiting for Updates" screen that  you see while booting up the sim. Down at the bottom is where you change the path. 

OK so I just change the path to the orignal and I should be all set too go? 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Here's the directions I followed:

Another similar method, without the need to edit anything, is to move the contents of:

MS Store:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages

Steam:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Packages

to a new directory of choice, e.g. C:\MSFS.

Note: These are the two folders within the packages directory that will be moved:

Once moved, instead of editing the UserCFG.opt file just run MSFS.

The content manager will start, prompting a download of all content. Click on “Browse” instead and using explorer select the new folder where the packages have been moved to, e.g. C:\MSFS.
Content manager will detect the location of these packages and continue to the main menu without downloading anything.

If MSFS ever needs to be reinstalled, pointing the content manager to the location of this custom folder should prevent the download of all the packages.

Please treat this process with care and remember each step taken. If the process doesn’t work for you ensure that you are able to restore everything to the state it was in prior to moving anything. Don’t delete any content without a suitable back up. Following the instructions carefully should not lead to any broken installations. All steps taken here are at your own risk.

Note: I cannot confirm that this method will also protect those who are using gamepass. I have heard of cases where this custom folder is also wiped during an un-install. If using gamepass it is a good idea to have a completely separate back up independent of any folders used by or linked to by MSFS- a separate hard drive is recommended.

A final note. If you are using any 3rd party applications that need to know the location of your community folder, e.g. applications that install content into your community folder, then you will also need to update those applications with the new path to your moved community folder.

NOTE: This came from this post [HOW-TO] Change the installation path of installed packages inc community folder - Microsoft Flight Simulator / Community Guides - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

Edited by flyblueskies
  • Like 4

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

4 hours ago, fakeflyer737 said:

because I don’t want to really deal with the bugs

I've never really had any problems with bugs during a beta. Kind of ironically, the only bug that I had to deal with during a beta was the white border around screens, white dot and disappearing mouse pointer, but it ended up in the final version of the delivered update. So, I guess I really didn't dodge any bullets there.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fakeflyer737 said:

OK so I just change the path to the orignal and I should be all set too go? 

Yes, but after you type in the new path at the "waiting for updates" screen, look and see if it changes to not requiring lots of GB of downloading. It won't require lots of GB if the path is exactly where you installation already is. But it has to be the exact path. If it starts downloading tons of GB, pause it and close MSFS and try again to put the correct path in the box. Once it matches your installation perfectly, it will load with little or nothing to download.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.