Sign in to follow this  
Lenovouser

P3D V5.4 High CPU Usage & Temps

Hi,

I have problems with V5.4

First I had upgraded from V5.3 to V5.4

After a couple of flights I noticed that my CPU temps are around 90 degrees.

Then I saw that P3D keeps loading the CPU to 100%.

As soon as I'm in the air, I notice that my whole computer works slower because P3D keeps drawing up to 100% resources.

I then completely deleted P3D and reinstalled 5.4 again.

The problem is still there.

What I find strange is that I have 55 to 60 degrees on the ground and 75 to 85 degrees in the air.

I sometimes have a difference of 20 degrees between the ground and the air.

I also don't understand that everything is ok on the ground, but as soon as I start, the temps go up.

Maybe you have some tips for me?

Here is my setup:

AMD 5800x3D
32GB RAM
RTX 3080 12GB

P3D V5.4
ORBX Packages (Global , LC Packages)
Additionally , Three HD , Buildings etc.

about 140 airports installed

• Upvote 2

Have you tested a short flight with the default jet at the default airport without AI traffic or any other Add-on running?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

I had very high GPU temps with 5.4 a while back and it would just stop working. I changed my frame rates from unlimited to 30fps and the temps dropped dramatically. This may work for you too.

Pete Locascio

8 minutes ago, tamba765 said:

I had very high GPU temps with 5.4 a while back and it would just stop working. I changed my frame rates from unlimited to 30fps and the temps dropped dramatically. This may work for you too.

That is not recommended and will adversely affect performance as the CPU fights to keep the fps to that setting.

It’s important to know the refresh rate of your monitor. If it’s capable of 30Hz set that in Windows Display options and in P3D set frame rate to unlimited and VSync = On.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

^This is what I use in addition to locking 30 in NCP.

8 hours ago, Lenovouser said:

I have problems with V5.4

I noticed much the same issues as you when I tried 5.4.  I couldn't assign the Scheduler threads to the CPU cores as I wished.  In the end, the best solution for me was to go back to 5.3 HF2.  Configured on the CPU cores I wish, it runs fast and cool for me.

34 minutes ago, lownslo said:

I noticed much the same issues as you when I tried 5.4.  I couldn't assign the Scheduler threads to the CPU cores as I wished.  In the end, the best solution for me was to go back to 5.3 HF2.  Configured on the CPU cores I wish, it runs fast and cool for me.

What does "much the same issues" mean on your setup?

Did the initial default P3Dv6 Scheduler actually cause high cpu temps on your setup?

Did you post any issues in the P3D forum?

My CPU temps and usage is the same as it was in previous P3D versions without errors/problems using the default scheduler.

Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Hi,

I give a status:

I completely deleted P3D 2 days ago and reinstalled V5.4.

I also deleted all add-ons, airports, ORBX packages, Active Sky, GSX to do a completely clean installation.

I installed V5.4 and additionally:

Active Sky
PMDG 777-747
ORBX packages with Global and LC
FSUIPC
GSX

In addition, 2 x airports PANC and KSFO

Then tried the first test from PANC to KSFO....

And here the same thing again, after the start the temps go up to 90 degrees. The whole computer feels slow.

Navigraph, or Volanta Maps stutters, even surfing on Chrome stutters as soon as I take off with a plane.

It's extremely frustrating, it took me 6-7 hours to install, and everything installed cleanly.

I just don't understand the problem.. Something like this has been happening for more than 2 years after more than 2000 flight hours.

I'm so frustrated that I'm getting tired of P3D.

I've really tried very hard the last few days, practically sat in front of the computer for several days, but it just doesn't want to work the way it used to.

Although I did not update but completely reinstalled.

I do not get it

Temps go up to 90 degrees...

Obviously, CPU and GPU slows down. Both of them...

Which cooling system do you use?

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - MSFS

@Lenovouser, I suggest you download and install MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner SS from here.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

Once configured it allows you to monitor not just temps but also how hard the important cores on your CPU are working. I suspect 100% which would explain the rise in temps.

If you fly from two default airports using a default aircraft do you get the same problem? If so that rules out third party aircraft and airports.

Do you have ORBX Vector installed? That is a known performance problem in v5. Try disabling it and see what difference it makes.

What resolution and refresh rate are you using?

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

First I want to say that I have no problems with temps.

My temps are the same as always, in MSFS the CPU doesn't get above 65 degrees, rather below 60 degrees..

Even in games, the CPU never reaches over 70 degrees.

I also get Cinebench a maximum of 74 degrees.

I have never seen 90 degrees, except in Prime 95.

I don't understand how P3D can chase the CPU up to 90 degrees.

It's not always 90 degrees, more like 82 to 85 degrees, which I find high.

I actually always do very long flights with P3D and have little desire to load the CPU like that.

To this day I don't understand why I have 60 degrees on the ground with the fat Addon Airport, and as soon as I take off it's 80 to 91 degrees. There's a 20 to 30 degree difference.

even when flying over Greenland I have 85 degrees although there is nothing there.

Here is my setup:

AMD 5800x3D
32GB RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3080 12GB

43.4 inch monitor with 3840x1200 resolution.

I monitor the temps via HWinfo and Streamdeck, so I always see the temps

Edited by Lenovouser

@Lenovouser, English please.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, Lenovouser said:

sorry fixed

Thanks. Post your JobScheduler section of the Prepar3D.cfg and advise how many cores your CPU has and whether you have Hyperthreading or the AMD equivalent enabled.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather