Sign in to follow this  
Lenovouser

P3D V5.4 High CPU Usage & Temps

30 minutes ago, Lenovouser said:

Job scheduler I can post tonight.

The CPU has 8 cores and SMT is active in the bios

I'm unfamiliar with AMD processors. Does SMT double 8 to 16?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've always had this issue with P3Dv5.  It puts a heavy load on the CPU, even though it was supposed to shift more processing to the GPU.  Maybe it did, but I get near 90% loading on core 1 sometimes and 50+% on most other cores.  Now, my scenery settings are quite high, but with my new computer I didn't expect CPU loading to be almost like it was with my previous computer.

The CPU loading is higher when you're flying because P3D has to do more work to load and render new scenery as you move.  I even get a huge CPU draw when using the flight planner as it loads the map detail. 

One thing I've done which helps a bit is to set Unlimited frame rates in the sim and then use the Nvidia Control Panel to set max frames at 35fps.  You can probably also set 30fps and wouldn't see much difference, but I like to have a bit of "cushion" to ensure smooth frames in the sim.

I've also assigned P3D to use all cores except core 0, leaving that core free for other processes.

I have a very powerful machine, but P3D still manages to heavily load the CPU.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

39 minutes ago, Lenovouser said:

Yes

What was the result (in english) when you tested a short flight with the default jet at the default airport without AI traffic or any other Add-on running?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

I've always had this issue with P3Dv5.  It puts a heavy load on the CPU, even though it was supposed to shift more processing to the GPU.  Maybe it did, but I get near 90% loading on core 1 sometimes and 50+% on most other cores.  Now, my scenery settings are quite high, but with my new computer I didn't expect CPU loading to be almost like it was with my previous computer.

The CPU loading is higher when you're flying because P3D has to do more work to load and render new scenery as you move.  I even get a huge CPU draw when using the flight planner as it loads the map detail. 

One thing I've done which helps a bit is to set Unlimited frame rates in the sim and then use the Nvidia Control Panel to set max frames at 35fps.  You can probably also set 30fps and wouldn't see much difference, but I like to have a bit of "cushion" to ensure smooth frames in the sim.

I've also assigned P3D to use all cores except core 0, leaving that core free for other processes.

I have a very powerful machine, but P3D still manages to heavily load the CPU.

Dave

Dave, just for ***** and grins, try the stock AM and let me know what the result is.

http://izn-flightsim.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/affinity.html#presetAnchor

5 hours ago, Lenovouser said:

To this day I don't understand why I have 60 degrees on the ground with the fat Addon Airport, and as soon as I take off it's 80 to 91 degrees.

As soon as you start moving, the sim starts loading the scenery you're flying towards. This loads up the rest of your cores, while sitting at an airport, however demanding, most of the times only uses one core (and the GPU of course).

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

5 hours ago, Lenovouser said:

Sorry, double post

Edited by d.tsakiris

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

Is your cpu voltage set to Auto in the bios? I find that many motherboards are sending much higher voltage than is needed to the cpu, like over 1.4 and up to 1.5 in some cases! 

setting manually to no higher than 1.35 should help reduce the temps. P3D does use some AVX features which is why the temps are so high! 

Anyway, if you are comfortable in the bios then definitely set a manual voltage. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus Crosshair VI Hero - G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) 3000 C14 DDR4 @ 3600 14-14-15-14-28-42

AMD Red Devil Radeon 6900XT  2700/2112 1125mv - 3 x Iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU 4k @ 11560x2160

Saitek X-55 Rhino - Track IR5 - Obutto Sim Cockpit + Triple Monitor Stand - Fancy some Techno? https://www.mixcloud.com/dj_bully/

8 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Danke. Veröffentlichen Sie Ihren JobScheduler-Abschnitt in Prepar3D.cfg und geben Sie an, wie viele Kerne Ihre CPU hat und ob Sie Hyperthreading oder das AMD-Äquivalent aktiviert haben.

[Global]

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=65535
P3DCoreAffinityMask=65535
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=4

3 hours ago, vonmar said:

What was the result (in english) when you tested a short flight with the default jet at the default airport without AI traffic or any other Add-on running?

Yes, I have that too with default scenery and F35

2 hours ago, djbully said:

Ist die CPU-Spannung im BIOS auf „Auto“ eingestellt? Ich finde, dass viele Motherboards viel höhere Spannung an die CPU senden, als nötig ist, beispielsweise über 1,4 und in manchen Fällen bis zu 1,5! 

Eine manuelle Einstellung auf nicht mehr als 1,35 sollte dabei helfen, die Temperaturen zu senken. P3D nutzt einige AVX-Funktionen, weshalb die Temperaturen so hoch sind! 

Wie auch immer, wenn Sie mit dem BIOS vertraut sind, stellen Sie auf jeden Fall eine manuelle Spannung ein. 

Yes the CPU voltage is on AUTO (Mainboard : Asus Crosshair Hero X570)

If I set the voltage, the CPU will always run at 1.35 without clocking down

Maybe I can set something about offset settings

14 minutes ago, Lenovouser said:

[Global]

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=65535
P3DCoreAffinityMask=65535
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=4

All 16 virtual processors are being used. It’s been a long time since I worked on this and what were the optimal settings especially for an AMD processor.

There was a big discussion about this here. The supplied calculator may help you determine if you have the best settings. I’m not convinced you have as it’s usual to turn some virtual processors off to assist the OS.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

19 minutes ago, Lenovouser said:

Yes, I have that too with default scenery and F35

Ok.
Thank you for the reply.

I see in a previous post you had reinstalled P3D.

But, I did not ask in my last post if you tested P3D in a default state 
with default Options/settings before adding any Add-ons?

Edited by vonmar

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW