Sign in to follow this  
Mace

FS a classic over 25 years

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Sometimes when I hear people complain about FSX, I often wonder what they would have said about FS1 and some of the later versions that many of us thought were pretty cool : http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsh/index.htmDownload the excellent video by Josef Havlik at the site (120 Meg FS History video) to see all the versions of FS in operation (the frame rates were a little higher than shown). A great compilation and very nostalgic for

If you only play FS and have a low expectation you will be happy. When you compare it to what other studios like Crytek, Namco etc are doing, it makes FS look ancient. Things like HDR lighting are a basic standard these days. Yet after a long struggle with their own technology, MS couldn't even figure that out. On their current path, its going to take 20-30 years just to catch up to what games like Crysis can do TODAY.

Guest The Wizard of Oz

The rabbit and the tortoise wingnut? the rabbit and the tortoiseCheers WOZ

>If you only play FS and have a low expectation you will be>happy. When you compare it to what other studios like Crytek,>Namco etc are doing, it makes FS look ancient. Things like HDR>lighting are a basic standard these days. Yet after a long>struggle with their own technology, MS couldn't even figure>that out. On their current path, its going to take 20-30 years>just to catch up to what games like Crysis can do TODAY.I don't think that Microsoft is behind in the times, find me another flight simulator that looks better that covers the entire globe. First person shooter are much easier to make as there is a much smaller area of land involved, and sight ranges are correspondingly lower at 6 feet agl than 6000 feet agl.

Factually, we do have HDR bloom in the DX10 Preview and it is much more performant than the DX9 bloom. I did state this in my blog post, so please can we broadcast accurate data on this forum?

I don't play these games-but from what I can tell this is still in beta?-correct me if I am wrong.Fsx has been out for a year-are you comparing something that isn't quite out yet with something that has been for a year? You know what they say about computer years-the same as a dog's....I also notice the "mimimum" specs are the computer I am using with good performance on fsx...I probably assume minimum specs for this game will perform probably like minimum specs for fsx-which I am far above for fsx-but not for your game.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest Mike707

Phil,PM, Core Platform. Is that a promotion or just a different role?

My responsibilities have broadened recently, to include more than Graphics and Terrain.

lol..... Now your trying to make a point using the minimum specs? FSX minimum specsCPU: 1.0 GhzHard Drive Space: 14000 MBDVD-ROM: 0X DVD-ROMRAM: 256 MB RAMVideo Memory: 32 MB VRAMUnbelievable. It may install but you wouldnt see 1 fps on that box.

>Unbelievable. It may install but you wouldnt see 1 fps on that>box.*plonk*

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>If you only play FS and have a low expectation you will be>happy. When you compare it to what other studios like Crytek,>Namco etc are doing, it makes FS look ancient. Things like HDR>lighting are a basic standard these days. Yet after a long>struggle with their own technology, MS couldn't even figure>that out. On their current path, its going to take 20-30 years>just to catch up to what games like Crysis can do TODAY.You know, I have always been a bit against Tom Allensworth's moderation policy, but have accepted it as part of the rules of this house... Given the multitude on going anti MSFS posts like the above, by the above, I now wholeheartedly embrace the policy and more so, would have used it to a much greater extent, as the above post serves absolutely no purpose in this thread.In reading this post back, mine probably does not either...Oh well,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaCheck out my 5th Around the World flight with MS FSX at http://members.iinet.com.au/~portercbp/fly...W_05/index.html

Ok-I'll spell it out for you:1) You are comparing a game that is not even out yet to fsx that has been for 1 year, based on the pre hype from the company.2) The quotes from the website "and while these specs affect how Crysis will perform now, we have also optimized Crysis so that the game scales forward 1-2 years --we want to make sure that Crysis' gameplay, visuals and performance improves as technology does.Minimum requirements:Processor - 2.8 GHz or faster (XP) or 3.2 GHz or faster* (Vista)"Since I have a 3.2 ghz and Vista-I am fairly certain the game will crawl on my computer-or at best I would have to run it with sliders mostly to the left. I also expect it will crawl on a moderately new computer of today with all the sliders to the right. No different than fsx.Then there are the obvious differences of a world based on reality vs. modelling a fantasy one. I asked the question the other day-are you related to Wingnut? Because he was removed from avsim..I'd take the hint when other posters are hinting that Brian and I are not doing our job.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

>>If you only play FS and have a low expectation you will be>>happy. When you compare it to what other studios like>Crytek,>>Namco etc are doing, it makes FS look ancient. Things like>HDR>>lighting are a basic standard these days. Yet after a long>>struggle with their own technology, MS couldn't even figure>>that out. On their current path, its going to take 20-30>years>>just to catch up to what games like Crysis can do TODAY.>>As soon as "Crysis" comes complete, with worldwide navigational, airport, and topographical mesh data-bases; as well as the ability to use my favorite aircraft................I'll buy it! :-hah L.Adamsonedit: and after watching several high definition "Crysis" videos, thanks to a link on the FS9 forum,I'd expect the "Crysis" team to render all airports and city's, just as they appear in real life. Can't wait!!! :-jumpy