Sign in to follow this  
forshaw

Can MSI MPG Z590 M/B support the RTX 4070 TI?

Hello Folks;

So i currently have a RTX 3060 (low end of the 30 series) and wanted to upgrade to the RTX 4070 TI since I am struggling with the 3060 and wanted to take advantage for FR Generation etc.etc. and to other goodies that goes along with the 70 series. I don't want to go crazy since I will be CPU limited anyway.

I have a MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Edge M/B (PCIe 4.0) however when I installed the 4070 Ti its doesn't boot the monitor up, At first, I thought it was a DOA card but I returned it to the local store and got another brand new card and the same issue, can't be 2 bad cards in a row🙂. I am now thinking that the MB may not support this card which is strange since based on my research it actually does. When I boot up my PC the GPU power "red" light goes and stays on, I am using the power auxiliary cables that were provided so power connections are all good on that end.

Did anyone on this forum have this issue or happen to know if this is indeed an incompatibility issue? I am just about to return the card for a refund, and a little disappointed since I was looking forward to the upgrade.

Thanks.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw.

15 minutes ago, forshaw said:

Hello Folks;

So i currently have a RTX 3060 (low end of the 30 series) and wanted to upgrade to the RTX 4070 TI since I am struggling with the 3060 and wanted to take advantage for FR Generation etc.etc. and to other goodies that goes along with the 70 series. I don't want to go crazy since I will be CPU limited anyway.

I have a MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Edge M/B (PCIe 4.0) however when I installed the 4070 Ti its doesn't boot the monitor up, At first, I thought it was a DOA card but I returned it to the local store and got another brand new card and the same issue, can't be 2 bad cards in a row🙂. I am now thinking that the MB may not support this card which is strange since based on my research it actually does. When I boot up my PC the GPU power "red" light goes and stays on, I am using the power auxiliary cables that were provided so power connections are all good on that end.

Did anyone on this forum have this issue or happen to know if this is indeed an incompatibility issue? I am just about to return the card for a refund, and a little disappointed since I was looking forward to the upgrade.

Thanks.

Kindest Regards.

Forshaw.

How many watts is your PSU? Sounds like a power problem. Min you need is a 650w. I personally wouldn't go below, 750w. Also, plugging the adapter into one cable can be an issue. You want to split the power draw and use two CPU/PCIe ports on the PSU.

Edited by YukonPete

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

If you put your 3060 back in does it work? As far as MB support, of course it supports a 4070. As Pete says it may be power related, or possibly check bios setting to ensure the 4070 is selected instead of on-board video - the 4070 shows up in bios doesn't it?

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Hello YokonPete and Somiller;

Thank you both for your responses I appreciate it. My power unit is enough I have got 800w 80+ Gold Certify; that's the 1st thing I confirmed before I bought the card.

My current 3060 is working fine which is what I am using as a fall back. I am doing a straight swap out from one working card to a new card so on-board is "not" selected. 

2 hours ago, somiller said:

the 4070 shows up in bios doesn't it?

I wouldn't know if the 4070 shows in the bios since it not booting to the monitor I can't see anything. Just out of curiosity why would 4070 show up in the bios 🤔

I am stumped.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Forshaw.

My first suspicion would be a bad/incompatible cable or (if modular) a bad cable connector on the PSU.

Did you use a cable provided with the PSU/computer, or with the GPU?  The modular plugs on different PSUs are not standardized, so a cable from a source other than the PSU manufacturer may have a different pinout on the PSU end than the socket on the PSU.

If the cable is from the PSU manufacturer (or the computer OEM), then I'd try swapping cables (most of my PSUs come with four) and/or using different socket(s) on the PSU.  Also, make sure connectors on the PSU are firmly and completely seated in the socket.

And as mentioned above, if there are multiple GPU power connectors, do *not* use a single cable with two connectors daisy-chained on the end.  Use two separate cables.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I use two separate cables from my PSU, and connect them with the "two to one" cable that was included in the box (Asus TUF 4070TI)

Btw, your motherboard support 40 series GPU.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

On 9/5/2023 at 5:27 PM, Ixoye said:

I use two separate cables from my PSU, and connect them with the "two to one" cable that was included in the box (Asus TUF 4070TI)

Sorry for the delayed response since I was travelling.

Yes that's exactly what I had to do. I had to use a separate set of cables from my PSU to pair it into the 2 to 1 cable included in the box. The card has been working like a charm and enjoying it, coming from a 3060 it's really helping

Thanks again.

Forshaw.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 5:27 PM, Ixoye said:

On 9/4/2023 at 2:35 PM, Bob Scott said:

My first suspicion would be a bad/incompatible cable or (if modular) a bad cable connector on the PSU.

Did you use a cable provided with the PSU/computer, or with the GPU?  The modular plugs on different PSUs are not standardized, so a cable from a source other than the PSU manufacturer may have a different pinout on the PSU end than the socket on the PSU.

If the cable is from the PSU manufacturer (or the computer OEM), then I'd try swapping cables (most of my PSUs come with four) and/or using different socket(s) on the PSU.  Also, make sure connectors on the PSU are firmly and completely seated in the socket.

And as mentioned above, if there are multiple GPU power connectors, do *not* use a single cable with two connectors daisy-chained on the end.  Use two separate cables.

Thanks, yes problem solved, As stated in my other post it was on me not pairing the correct 6 pic connectors from the PSU to connect to the provided cable for the card. All good and running great.

Cheers.

Forshaw.

• Upvote 1