Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

I noticed that about 90% of FSElite articles are about MSFS

2 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

By the same measure, AVSIM is very very biased. Just check out and compare the number of posts or message threads between forums eg. MSFS vs P3D vs X-plane.

Hi,

Those numbers are skewed big time so you can't go by those! For those of us around AVSIM since the beginning we know that some of these titles/posts were combined. AVSIM was also hacked by someone that was suppose to be part of the team.

It's not AVSIM that is bias, it's the users that are bias, it also depends on which sub forum you go to as to which camp they reside in.

Edited by Mike_CFII_MEL
  • Upvote 3

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

2 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

By the same measure, AVSIM is very very biased. Just check out and compare the number of posts or message threads between forums eg. MSFS vs P3D vs X-plane.

All these discussions about figures are obviously absurd and IMHO akin to a "look-mine-is-bigger-than yours" of  pre-puberty kids but to keep things in perspective

- The 823K FSX forum figure cumulates FSX + all the precedent FS versions posts including FS9 until 2006 .

- The FS9 forum was created after the FSX release because there was then a strong demand to differentiate both sims (including by yours faithfully). Tom decided to create a new FS9 forum for the legacy sim.  The 156K  figure  shows the continuous success this sim had even after the FSX release.  

- the 506 K for MSF in 3 years reflects a robust success too

- The 390K figure for P3D cumulates 6 versions for 10 years

- the 130K ffigure for 12 versions in 28 years shows that X-Plane has always been a niche sim which has its own community

These are the recollections of an old simmer. The mods are welcome to correct me...

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 5

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Maybe a little chest thumping but the 90% stat probably reflects actual usage for obvious reasons especially since MSFS is the best flight sim with the most promising future IMO.

sp

Edited by Sky_Pilot071
  • Like 4

MSFS is the what's happening in 2023, flight sim wise it simply outshines and garners more attention than everything else on the market.

Even the FS Labs P3D Concorde hype/trend died within a week, half of the hype and attention were people looking forward to and discussing the future MSFS version🤣😂

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 5

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

On 9/24/2023 at 1:24 AM, Steve Dra said:

Today, just about any physical format is bordering on useless with the access we have to high speed internet.  I have stacks of CDs, DVDs etc that I look at every so often....try to get motivated play one...then remember I disconnect the DVD player years ago and would have to go behind the TV/entertainment center and reconnect it.

We only ever connect the Blu-ray player if the kids want to watch animated movies in 3d.

In theory the 4k blu-rays we purchased back in the day would give a better viewing experience than the streamed version of the same movie but it is too much hassle to connect the player up most of the time.

2 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

In theory the 4k blu-rays we purchased back in the day would give a better viewing experience than the streamed version of the same movie but it is too much hassle to connect the player up most of the time.

@Glenn Fitzpatrick I suspect for most also, this is exactly the same situation we find ourselves with VR headgear now.

• Upvote 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

On 9/23/2023 at 1:37 PM, ctdlg said:

Some of us can really feel a huge difference between a $100 equipment and a $1000 equipment. + some good loudspeakers.

$1,000 equipment today vs $1,000 equipment from "back in the day" as the poster referenced is very different. My dad brought a very high-end Sansui stereo system home from an R&R trip to Tokyo he took while in Vietnam. It would've been hard to get anything much better in the early 1970s, and it was so well built that he was still using it when I went off to college in the mid 90s. 

But the $800 Technics setup I bought for my dorm room blew it out of the water. 

Today, a decent soundbar or even an upgraded Nest speaker has better dynamic range than his old Sansui did.

On 9/23/2023 at 5:24 PM, Steve Dra said:

Because everyone knew that Betamax was a superior format, hehe...then laser discs came out. LOL looking back they were so ridiculous. 

Today, just about any physical format is bordering on useless with the access we have to high speed internet.  I have stacks of CDs, DVDs etc that I look at every so often....try to get motivated play one...then remember I disconnect the DVD player years ago and would have to go behind the TV/entertainment center and reconnect it.
I remember the old days when I'd pay $200 more for a receiver that had a signal to noise ratio that was a few points better than another, like I'd ever hear the difference. And Blaupunkt was both considered audiophile quality, and fun to say.🤣 

Currently listening to my Spotify playlist on an Alexa puck placed in the corner, with the walls pushing out some nice bass tones.  Less than $100 worth of equipment sounding just as good as equipment costing thousands back in the day.

Love this scene in "Catch me if you can" (at 24 secs), where he tells the guy to stay away from the Hi Fi...."Its reel to reel". 😄

Man those tapes VCR2000 and VCC2000 night mares 🤣

André

11 hours ago, eslader said:

$1,000 equipment today vs $1,000 equipment from "back in the day" as the poster referenced is very different. My dad brought a very high-end Sansui stereo system home from an R&R trip to Tokyo he took while in Vietnam. It would've been hard to get anything much better in the early 1970s, and it was so well built that he was still using it when I went off to college in the mid 90s. 

Today, a decent soundbar or even an upgraded Nest speaker has better dynamic range than his old Sansui did.

Back in the 80's I picked up a Direct Drive turntable with an Ortofon cartridge at a bargain price from a PhD student returning overseas.  Great turntable but just the Stylus for the cartridge cost hundreds of dollars to replace.

You see all these MP3 generation hipster types buying $100 vinyls that have so little Acetate you can bend them and throwing them on a USB turntable that cost maybe $100 max with a crappy Sapphire Stylus raving away about the benefits of "analogue" and it is hard to not to laugh.  yes, compared to the insanely compressed Spotify streaming music they are accustomed to listening to, the sound is probably better, but it is still pretty awful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Back in the 80's I picked up a Direct Drive turntable with an Ortofon cartridge at a bargain price from a PhD student returning overseas.  Great turntable but just the Stylus for the cartridge cost hundreds of dollars to replace.

You see all these MP3 generation hipster types buying $100 vinyls that have so little Acetate you can bend them and throwing them on a USB turntable that cost maybe $100 max with a crappy Sapphire Stylus raving away about the benefits of "analogue" and it is hard to not to laugh.  yes, compared to the insanely compressed Spotify streaming music they are accustomed to listening to, the sound is probably better, but it is still pretty awful.

This, about 100 times. 😄

And, even on really good hardware, vinyl sounds great... Until it doesn't. You're dragging a needle across plastic. That ain't gonna last forever, and then it sounds like hissing and popping. 

A really high-quality uncompressed (or even lossless-compressed) digital recording will beat a vinyl that's been played 20+ times almost every time.

I always did like playing with Dad's Sansui turntable as a kid though - that tone arm was so perfectly balanced it was amazing even to elementary school-aged me. And the reel-to-reel was like messing with a space ship control panel, which of course I pretended it was. You could almost say it was my first flight simulator. 😉

13 hours ago, eslader said:

Yep, I have a Sansui system too (Bought it in the1980's). 

The best MSFS and flight sim speaker I've owned is the Klipsch below. One would be hard pressed to find a better value than this one. I've seen it on sale for about U$79.

"The price is what you pay. The value is what you get." -W Buffet

spacer.png

• Like 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1