Sign in to follow this  
bernd1151

West Papua: Bugalaga to Karubaga

We all know Lukla Airport in the Everest region of Nepal. When you fly into Karubaga Airport (WAVG) in West Papua for the first time, you are reminded a little of Lukla, as it too has a runway on a steep mountainside. Of course, I could have taken the Kodiak, Twotter or Pilatus Porter, but I wanted to make it a little more challenging, so I was thinking of the single-engine Fokker F.VIIa or the Junkers F13 instead. Especially the Junkers was a popular plane in this part of the world in the 1920s. The Fokker was more flown in the Dutch East Indies. This time I chose the Fokker, the Junkers will be used on another flight. I fly with live weather; should be fun.

1.jpg 

2.jpg 

3.jpg 

4.jpg 

5.jpg 

6.jpg 

7.jpg

Took me some time, but finally I have reached 11.000 ft. The highest peak around here in West Papua is Mount Kwoka with 9,850 ft. I’m aware that originally the F.VII can’t go any higher than 8,500 ft. So, consider this one of the technical wonders of MSFS 😊

8.jpg 

9.jpg 

10.jpg 

11.jpg 

12.jpg

The weather seems to improve

13.jpg 

14.jpg

Did I say “improve”?

15.jpg 

16.jpg

And now the exciting part begins, we are about to land

17.jpg

There’s my airport

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Thanks for viewing

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Wonderful shots buddy !

Nice scenery around..

cheers 😉

• Like 2

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Spectacular in every regard...the plane, the scenery, the weather!

• Like 1

Many thanks PM, John and Will for your kind comments !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Beautiful and adventure-themed pictures set, bernd ...Glad you thought of these two classics (Fokker F.VII and Junkers F13) ...and the former won over your (aviation) instinct here for this post ...🙂 ...

Looking forward to the Junkers F13, a most significant plane that started off air operations for many airlines in the 1920s...  

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for your kind comment, P_7878!

• Like 1

An outstanding flight and narration, @bernd1151. I like your adventures, but these locations are even more special. And I would not be too surprised if you had been there in RL before...

• Like 1

Cheers, Gerold

Spoiler

Hardware: Intel i9-13900K @ 4.2 Ghz, BENQ EW3270U (3840*2160), 32 GB RAM DDR5-6000, Gigabyte Gaming OC Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB, Samsung 980 Pro M.2: 1 TB (Win 11-System), Samsung 870 QVO SSD: 2 TB (MSFS), 2 * Samsung 850 EVO SSD: 1 TB (P3D 4.5 HF3) & 500 GB (spare). Scenery / Add-Ons: Lots of commercial & freeware sceneries. Plus REX Weather Force (MSFS), FS Global Mesh 2010, ActiveSky_P3Dv4, ASCA, EzDok v3, Pro-ATC/X and REX 4 Texture Direct (all for P3D).

On 10/12/2023 at 7:10 AM, Stiller Water said:

An outstanding flight and narration, @bernd1151. I like your adventures, but these locations are even more special. And I would not be too surprised if you had been there in RL before...

Hahaha, many thanks, Gerold. Yes, I have been to PNG a couple of times, twice with the missus, but then she refused to join me. Too dangerous, she said. I have been to Indonesia quite often, many times on business. But I have never been to the Papua part of Indonesia. Maybe I would have, had I known that a company such as Susi Air exists 🙂 

• Like 1