Sign in to follow this  
Alvega

Addon runway lights

Here you go, Nemo. Like I said earlier, there's an improvement around the PAPIs themselves but from the air I'll have to wait until in the air to confirm.

https://imgur.com/a/bEuRvn4

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

1 hour ago, El Diablito said:

Here you go, Nemo. Like I said earlier, there's an improvement around the PAPIs themselves but from the air I'll have to wait until in the air to confirm.

https://imgur.com/a/bEuRvn4

Strange, I just checked on default KSAN, TAPA and MYNN and none of them have that effect on the PAPI lights. Is this with the free version from flightsim.to? And are you sure this isn't an addon airport? What airport is this so I can test?

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

10 hours ago, Alvega said:

Strange, I just checked on default KSAN, TAPA and MYNN and none of them have that effect on the PAPI lights. Is this with the free version from flightsim.to? And are you sure this isn't an addon airport? What airport is this so I can test?

Yeah it's the free version from Flightsim and the pic is from Tokyo Narita. That effect is created at all airports, not just with the PAPIs, in my experience. If addon airports did that there would be no need for the mod!

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

I think most users who fly both sims would agree that x-plane has clearly the better night- and runway lights, and has had already for many years. the difference is day & night 😀.

one can only hope that the new colour engine in MSFS 2024, that Seb mentioned in their last Q&A, will improve on that considerably. it is not magic nor wizardry. MSFS is oversaturated and colours too intense, even after the recent ARPC update in SU14, sunset clouds still often too pink/orange. on the border of artificial, unrealistic. one, if not the main reason I still fire up x-plane for early evening, dusk MVFR flights in light rain. coincidently an environment where its scenery and other graphic problems are non-issues. Go, MSFS2024!

MSFS

unknown-s-runway-lights-iwSNP.jpg?width=

x-plane 11 -  5 years ago!

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

47 minutes ago, turbomax said:

I think most users who fly both sims would agree that x-plane has clearly the better night- and runway lights, and has had already for many years. the difference is day & night 😀.

one can only hope that the new colour engine in MSFS 2024, that Seb mentioned in their last Q&A, will improve on that considerably. it is not magic nor wizardry. MSFS is oversaturated and colours too intense, even after the recent ARPC update in SU14, sunset clouds still often too pink/orange. on the border of artificial, unrealistic. one, if not the main reason I still fire up x-plane for early evening, dusk MVFR flights in light rain. coincidently an environment where its scenery and other graphic problems are non-issues. Go, MSFS2024!

MSFS

unknown-s-runway-lights-iwSNP.jpg?width=

x-plane 11 -  5 years ago!

The video looks quite oversaturared and colorintense too?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

Can anyone else confirm the effect is working for the PAPI lights? For me it works with all other runway lights, but not the PAPI lights.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

4 hours ago, El Diablito said:

Yeah it's the free version from Flightsim and the pic is from Tokyo Narita. That effect is created at all airports, not just with the PAPIs, in my experience. If addon airports did that there would be no need for the mod!

What I mean is this works for default airports and 3rd party airports that use the default light system (as stated on the download description). The screenshot you posted is not the default Narita, which has the PAPI lights on the left side on all runways. Yours seem to be Inibuilds Narita, which is a 3rd party airport that probably doesn't use the default light system, so they may have added the effect themselves.

It would be good if you could try on a default airport, not on an addon scenery.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

1 hour ago, ThomseN_inc said:

The video looks quite oversaturared and colorintense too?

just like reality looks oversaturated and colorintense sometimes too.

nightapproachkord-2zdiq8.jpg

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

54 minutes ago, Alvega said:

It would be good if you could try on a default airport, not on an addon scenery.

Default Leeds/Bradford

https://imgur.com/a/6nwBfi3

32 minutes ago, El Diablito said:

Default Leeds/Bradford

https://imgur.com/a/6nwBfi3

Hmm, dunno why I don't see the effect on the PAPI lights. Thanks for posting. Hope someone else can confirm they see this too.

Alvega

13 minutes ago, Alvega said:

Hmm, dunno why I don't see the effect on the PAPI lights. Thanks for posting. Hope someone else can confirm they see this too.

One thing I noticed is that the glow is always red despite the colour of the PAPI, which is an interesting quirk

Thinking how PAPIS work , the red glow on the ground would be correct.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

10 minutes ago, jon b said:

Thinking how PAPIS work , the red glow on the ground would be correct.

The thing is for me there is no red glow. Can you confirm you see the red glow on the PAPI lights?

Alvega

2 hours ago, turbomax said:

just like reality looks oversaturated and colorintense sometimes too.

nightapproachkord-2zdiq8.jpg

But only through the lens of a camera 😉

• Like 3

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

26 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

But only through the lens of a camera 😉

Well, to be honest every aspect of MSFS graphics is tailored in order to look like through camera lens in theory: overexposed exterior when you look inside the cockpit, bloom, lens flare, depth of field... except night flying.

Personally I like the X-Plane video posted very much, even though it uses a streetlights addon and Reshade FX.

• Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png