Sign in to follow this  
Bozdog

Quest 3 ? Any owners of Quest 2 upgraded ? Impressions ?

23 minutes ago, clayton4115 said:

Believe me I've had plenty of Wow moments in VR lol, Interesting comment about the Crystal, yes I think Q3 maybe 80% of picture quality of Crystal - I say this as my cockpit instruments are not 100% sharp like I've seen in the youtube videos of Crystal / Aero. 

Yeah, the Youtube videos are what made me jump for the Crystal. Definitely experience it and decide for yourself.  

3 hours ago, FlyIce said:

I tried Oculus USB link again last night. I used Oculus debug tool to set h264 and 650mbps bitrate, and finally was able to disable the xxxxly annoying ASW by pressing ctrl-num 1 in MSFS (setting ASW off in ODT don't do the job, extremely frustrating). With ASW off, I finally got stable images in MSFS that is playable. This is with TAA = 100%, resolution 2704x2896 pixels (resolution was maxed to 1.3x/5408 in Oculus windows app),

I believe this is the highest or very close to the highest possible image quality I can expect from Q3 in PCVR? If so I have to say G2 is still a clear winner. Visual clarity wise, Q3 is just a notch below G2, like 90% of G2. For someone never experienced the best level of G2 clarity, Q3 would look very good or even great, but once I put back on G2, there is still no comparison. G2 is so obviously sharper and clearer, with much more details and nature shadow transitions. 

Performance wise Q3 is close but also lower than G2. Q3 image quality still suffer from video like looking due to compression, especially when you compare to G2  the shadows and textures in Q3 are definitely mushed to certain degree, although not intolerable. 

I ran G2 with OpenXR at 225% scale + DLSS/Quality in MSFS, which gives me outstanding clarity and good performance in G2 (around 35fps, TLOD=300-400). I also use a third party faceplate that, I feel, helps to make G2 sweet spot a bit bigger, but no question Q3 is miles better with its edge to edge clarity. 

All considered, G2 is better, although Q3 is not too far behind. If you can't push G2 to its limits by supersampling like I do, I would believe that Q3 could look as good as G2. I don't know, but I begin to consider keeping both G2 and Q3...

I wish I had a G2 to see for myself. I read a number of people who got the QPro when it launched saying it was a step up in clarity form the G2 and the Q3 is a bump up from the Qpro. I will say settings are everything in this case. Oculus Link is trash. Virtual Desktop is needed, since you have a 4090 you can run AV1 10-bit and god mode. I hope you are not using DLSS, but TAA and your resolution in-sim should be minimal 35XX x 36XX, I get 45+ fps in VR with these settings and once openxr for VD is released I'm back at  smooth 50 fps which is what I had with my Crystal.

• Like 1

I can tell that Q3 can benefit a lot from supersampling too. If I set TAA=150%, its clarity and sharpness improves another notch, even closer to G2, but fps is approaching slideshow. I tried TAA=200% and MSFS crashed (understandably). One thing I don't like TAA is that it always has that shimmering in distance. DLSS/Quality in G2 is crisp and shimmering free, but DLSS is a total mess in Q3. 

Right now I'm limited to the max resolution of 5408 in Oculus app. Hopefully VD + VD-XR will make higher supersampling possible without too much performance hit. I ordered a cheap Wifi 6 router from Amazon to solve the bandwidth issue in VD as I'm currently stuck at 61mbps with my current 5G router.

Hopefully with VD-OpenXR I can see the full potential of Q3. I still want its passthrough for VR, for that I'm willing to sacrifice a bit on image quality. Also, the huge sweat spot of Q3 is hard to pass, plus nicer color, contrast and brightness.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

1 hour ago, FlyIce said:

I can tell that Q3 can benefit a lot from supersampling too. If I set TAA=150%, its clarity and sharpness improves another notch, even closer to G2, but fps is approaching slideshow. I tried TAA=200% and MSFS crashed (understandably). One thing I don't like TAA is that it always has that shimmering in distance. DLSS/Quality in G2 is crisp and shimmering free, but DLSS is a total mess in Q3. 

Right now I'm limited to the max resolution of 5408 in Oculus app. Hopefully VD + VD-XR will make higher supersampling possible without too much performance hit. I ordered a cheap Wifi 6 router from Amazon to solve the bandwidth issue in VD as I'm currently stuck at 61mbps with my current 5G router.

Hopefully with VD-OpenXR I can see the full potential of Q3. I still want its passthrough for VR, for that I'm willing to sacrifice a bit on image quality. Also, the huge sweat spot of Q3 is hard to pass, plus nicer color, contrast and brightness.

Are you running your Q3 through Virtual Desktop and if so have you checked SteamVRs Video setting to make sure it is set for 100% I'm confused as most of my readings have the Quest Pro over the G2 and like I said the Q3 is a step up from the Pro. I have a awesome VR flight environment that to me rivals my Crystal with edge to edge clarity.

I'm running through Oculus qucklink (usb-c cable). Virtual Desktop works but is stuck with 60mbps bitrate likely due to my 5G router, so there is no point to try more until I get the new router. 

Great to know that you consider Q3 as good as Crystal. I think my initial impression was ruined mostly by that terrible ASW thing. Can't understand why Oculus doesn't make it easier to disable.  

By the way, I guess many people did not realize how upscaling in OpenXR can help G2. It's of course extremely demanding to graphic card, but the results are really impressive. Without at least 150% upscaling, I'm not surprised that people don't really think too high of G2's clarity (within the sweet spot).

Edited by FlyIce

not sure it's not possible to completely turn off the frame interpolation on the quest headsets. I think we're stuck with either ATW or variations of ASW, it just gets less noticeable as game frame rate output increases - please let me know if this is no longer the case.

maybe there's a console command that can override it?

sorry - that should have read that 'it may not be possible to completely disable it'

I think it runs atw all the time, so the image at least keeps up with head movements, even with very low frame rates/stutters. If it can't get an up-to-date frame fast enough, it duplicates the previous frame and shifts it around based on the headsets new position and why the black bars appear at the edges of the frame with rapid head movement. Somewhere I read that under certain conditions it tries to synthesise the edges 

Edited by dogmanbird

I have to say I'm not sold on Virtual Desktop compared to normal Oculus Link via cable. With cable I'm able to run with H.264@700mbps, and the image quality for me is better than VD with AV1-10bit@200mbps.

I got VD last year but only used it a few times, as you were forced to use SteamVR, and the performance overhead was a little too much for me. Now that I got my Quest 3 and mbucchia has made the VD OXR runtime available, I decided to test VD again.

I mainly use VR for sim racing, and it is fairly easy to see how much or how little the video compression affects the image when I'm on tracks with lots of detail in the asphalt. Especially iRacing has a really nice amount of surface detail with old skid marks and cracks and surface wear and such. With cable and H.264@700mbps I only notice the compression on the asphalt in the far distance, with a lot of detail preserved in the medium and close distance. With VD and AV1-10bit@200mbps I see more compression in the far distance, and the compression is also starting to lose some detail in the medium distance. There is however less banding in the sky compared to H.264.

Also, the battery drains a bit faster with VD compared to cable (you could of course plug in a charging cable while using VD, but then you lose the benefit of cable-free VR...) And with cable I can easily view my desktop when I'm in a VR game by pressing the controller home button and bringing up the PC Oculus Home Environment, but with VD it doesn't seem possible to bring up a desktop view while you are in a VR game, unless I'm missing something? Being able to bring up my PC desktop is something I need to do from time to time when racing or flying.

So for my part I can't see the benefits of Virtual Desktop, unfortunately.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Setting sharpening to Quality in ODT definitely helps. I tried 960 bitrate but audio became choppy, maybe I'll try 940 as shown in this youtube video. 

As to the supersampling, interesting idea to do it in sim. I don't use OpenXR Toolkit but I'll see whether it works in MSFS by scaling up TAA. 

OK, I think I finally got it, thanks @HiFlyer for that youtube video. The key is supersampling Q3, and the trick is to set Q3 graphics resolution in Oculus app as "Auto", then in Oculus Debug Tool, set "Pixels Per Display Pixel Overdrive" to 1.8. It seems that you have to set resolution Oculus app to "Auto", otherwise ODT pixel overdrive setting won't work.

With these settings, Q3 resolution in VR is sth like 3700x4100. It's too much for TAA but using DLSS/Quality, I got almost the same image quality as my G2, sharp, smooth and no shimmering. In terms of the absolute clarity, I believe it's still a bit behind G2. I can't see the fps in Q3, but it feels slightly worse than G2.

Overall, this is like 95% of G2's best clarity with everything else being so much better. I think I can finally retire G2 as a backup, using Q3 as my main headset.  

I'm using Oculus Quicklink through USB cable and made sure ASW is off in ODT. I set bitrate to 700/h264, the ground near and right under look just about as crips as G2. but I can definitely tell scenery in far distance is kind of mushed most likely due to video compression. It's not satisfying, but so far I consider it tolerable. 

Edited by FlyIce
  • Like 2

On 10/11/2023 at 5:02 PM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Returned mine today after 1 day. Ordered a Pimax crystal to try instead. 

Awful shimmering, brightness, poor quality distance looking. If you only stare in the cockpit, it's great quality within the cockpit. Look out the window and it's mush. I even forced the resolution to its maximum, which helped a bit, but shattered the performance.

I have 7950X and 4090, performance was poor. Tried with and without cable. 

Reminds me of the old HP G2 I had 2 years ago, just without the sweet spot issue.

Here's hoping the Crystal is better. 

Pretty much my experience as well, my Crystal arrives today (amazon).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FlyIce said:

OK, I think I finally got it, thanks @HiFlyer for that youtube video. The key is supersampling Q3, and the trick is to set Q3 graphics resolution in Oculus app as "Auto", then in Oculus Debug Tool, set "Pixels Per Display Pixel Overdrive" to 1.8. It seems that you have to set resolution Oculus app to "Auto", otherwise ODT pixel overdrive setting won't work.

With these settings, Q3 resolution in VR is sth like 3700x4100. It's too much for TAA but using DLSS/Quality, I got almost the same image quality as my G2, sharp, smooth and no shimmering. In terms of the absolute clarity, I believe it's still a bit behind G2. I can't see the fps in Q3, but it feels slightly worse than G2.

Overall, this is like 95% of G2's best clarity with everything else being so much better. I think I can finally retire G2 as a backup, using Q3 as my main headset.  

I'm using Oculus Quicklink through USB cable and made sure ASW is off in ODT. I set bitrate to 700/h264, the ground near and right under look just about as crips as G2. but I can definitely tell scenery in far distance is kind of mushed most likely due to video compression. It's not satisfying, but so far I consider it tolerable. 

Weird, as most people have said that it looks better than the Reverb G2, VR Flight Sim Guy mentioned it in his video. With your 4090 you should not be using DLSS and with TAA you should be pushing 45+ FPS. I set mine to 1.5 and 90 HZ, no ASW, and Textures to Ultra. Even when I ran it cabled it had a awesome/clear picture, but VD raises it to near native IMO. 

With 225% oversampling, the clarity of G2 within its sweetspot is clearly better than the best I can get from Quest 3. But if you average that out over the whole FOV, the clarity provided by the pancake lenses in Q3 easily beats G2. So it depends on how you judge and prefer. Everything else Q3 wins pretty much, minus video compression artifacts.

The exact fps also depends heavily on the scenery. The helicopter ride over Manhattan NYC easily halves the fps over rural areas. I run Terrain LOD = 300-400, which is pretty heavy to CPU/GPU too, but I'm not willing to turn it down. 

I don't like TAA since it always shimmer in the distance. DLSS/Quality when works gives me much better visual AND performance. 

At the moment, I'm happy enough with wired connection. But will definitely try VD again when the Wifi 6 router comes tomorrow. Hopefully VD-XR will be published tonight.. 

Edited by FlyIce

9 hours ago, magdrop said:

Pretty much my experience as well, my Crystal arrives today (amazon).

I’m thinking of returning mine. Although VR is way immersive, actually being in the cockpit, I just miss the visuals of 4K large screen. It’s just not there yet. I was expecting way more from this new headset, first one I’ve had since the G2 back 2 years ago. It’s just not there. It’s like going back to 1080p. And it’s uncomfortable. As much as I ‘feel’ like I’m in the cockpit, I don’t ’feel’ Like I’m in the world. Does that make sense? Hard to describe.
Another few years I’ll test again I think. For now, back to Tobii with large screen and enjoy everything ultra 🙂 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

5 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I’m thinking of returning mine.

what did you think about its physical size and weight? It's huge to look at in the flesh though Ive never worn one.