Sign in to follow this  
Bozdog

Quest 3 ? Any owners of Quest 2 upgraded ? Impressions ?

Well mine just bricked itself after 4 days moderate usage 😞

Display went black without warning, wont restart or recharge...I was undecided whether to keep it anyway, it's better than the Q2 but not £500 better, at least not on a 3080...try again when I have a 4090!

Edit: there is apparently a secret hard reset that might fix it but too late, return is booked

Edited by keithb77

I've had that on the pro too. Yes, think was a full reset that got it going.

edit - works for q3. hold volume and power button on for 40 seconds.  Menu will appear, select boot and then press power button

Edited by dogmanbird

Another observation:

I'm beginning to suspect some issues people are having with MSFS have less to do with the resolution/clarity etc of the headset, and more to do with MSFS simply not being all that well optimized comparatively for VR.

Other games and even Sims (DCS Aerofly etc) show that the headset is more than capable of bright, colorful and clear optics, when the software supports it.....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

i also think there's some confusion between asw and atw, where some are seeing ghosting/doubling from having only atw enabled, but thinking it's asw causing it

After hours of flying Q3, I flew G2 again and I was still thrilled by the sharpness of G2. Even with wired connection, Q3 simply is just not of G2 sharpness, plus all the drawbacks of video compression. I enjoy everything else on Q3, but for flight sim, I'll probably stick mostly with G2 more. Good thing that I can use both.

An expensive experiment, especially time wise, but now I'm pretty much done.

Edited by FlyIce

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

6 hours ago, FlyIce said:

After hours of flying Q3, I flew G2 again and I was still thrilled by the sharpness of G2. Even with wired connection, Q3 simply is just not of G2 sharpness, plus all the drawbacks of video compression. I enjoy everything else on Q3, but for flight sim, I'll probably stick mostly with G2 more. Good thing that I can use both.

So the consensus seems to be firming up that the G2 is at least slightly better.  I've never had one or tried 1, so I'll never know, probably.

I did use the Samsung Odyssey for quite a while after it came out though, and WMR was a nightmare interface, for me, along with those huge WMR controllers and the awful battery life on them.

The colors on the Odyssey were great, but hunting for the extremely tiny sweet spot was not so nice,  and the headset itself was probably one of the most uncomfortable things ever made. (My nose and face still hurts thinking about it!) 🙂

For myself  I'll be keeping the quest 3, and already have a good offer for the quest 2 That will help offset making the jump. I haven't tried any of the AR capabilities yet, because I need to scan and set up an uncluttered room, But I find the possibilities intriguing on that as well.

Good luck to all, whatever we choose!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I think it boils down to personal preference. When all things considered, the two are close. G2's small sweepspot could be enough reason for some people to switch to Q3. To me, I just can't give up the true sharpness of G2. But I can easily understand why people like Q3. It's a very nice headset for $500 if you're fine with its slightly lower clarity and the video compression limits.

My next headset must be direct input. I'm now 100% convinced that video compression is noway to match native display port. Especially for MSFS, the enormous details and billions of color shades at 4k must be a nightmare for video compression/decompression in real time.

BTW, it's fun to watch some casual YouTube video in Q3 through Virtual Desktop. The quality is very good and enjoyable.

From what I can see, i reckon there's room for a resolution improvement via cabled link (even compressed) if meta updates the software.

At the moment it looks like it caps at about 80% of what it could deliver regardless of how high the settings are in ODT etc.  The headsets message overlays that appear during cabled link, are notably sharper than the highest possible res I can achieve via link. 

Edited by dogmanbird

1 hour ago, dogmanbird said:

From what I can see, i reckon there's room for a resolution improvement via cabled link (even compressed) if meta updates the software.

I sure hope so. Based on the physical screen resolution Q3 is nearly identical to G2, so hopefully there's room for Q3 to improve. But many people say Meta just doesn't care PCVR - they didn't even bother to update Oculus app for Q3. Pretty sad. If G2 gets Q3 pancake lens we'd be in heaven ...

Edited by FlyIce

2 minutes ago, FlyIce said:

they didn't even bother to update Oculus app for Q3

Is that true though? Many code snoopers have seen incremental additions/updates in the Oculus code for quite awhile in preparation for Q3...

Devons rig

I'm not expert on Oculus stuff, but in Oculus debug tool there is no VC1 codec selection, encoding width is also outdated, etc.

By the way, it's definitely true that G2 gives me the best feeling of being in the air, very close to my real life flying the same small airplanes like 172. With Q3 I just don't get that. A bit hard to describe, but with Q3 I feel like flying in front of a gigantic screen with video image protected on it, while with G2 I'm just actually in the air. I think the higher sharpness and the absence of video compression artifacts are the key.

24 minutes ago, FlyIce said:

with Q3 I feel like flying in front of a gigantic screen with video image protected on it, while with G2 I'm just actually in the air. I think the higher sharpness and the absence of video compression artifacts are the key.

Well, it seems I'm an alien critter. (With an interpupillary distance of 72)

Which means the previous Oculus max eye distance (possibly) didn't create quite the same sense of 3D depth as the Q3 does. (for me)

The upshot is that for me, VR is again a bit of an eye-opener, with me being very interested in exploring all of this newfound 3D "deepness" in the Q3

Seems like quite different experiences for different folks.

EDIT: I haven't messed with Oculus Debug in literally years, and I have a feeling relatively few people do. I suspect people prone to that type of internal fiddling are probably messing with OpenXR Toolkit at this point, or Visual desktop, or even the Oculus tray tool.

Edited by HiFlyer

Devons rig

15 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Seems like quite different experiences for different folks.

Yeah, I agree. Using software rendering allows a wider range of visuals when compared to DP and then HMD experiences. I put my Quest 3's visuals above the Quest Pro and near enough to the Pimax Crystal to not justify the price difference. Since I wear my HMD sloppily around my head, Pancake lenses are all I look for now.

On 10/20/2023 at 12:01 PM, HiFlyer said:

Another observation:

I'm beginning to suspect some issues people are having with MSFS have less to do with the resolution/clarity etc of the headset, and more to do with MSFS simply not being all that well optimized comparatively for VR.

Other games and even Sims (DCS Aerofly etc) show that the headset is more than capable of bright, colorful and clear optics, when the software supports it.....

So the consensus seems to be firming up that the G2 is at least slightly better.  I've never had one or tried 1, so I'll never know, probably.

I did use the Samsung Odyssey for quite a while after it came out though, and WMR was a nightmare interface, for me, along with those huge WMR controllers and the awful battery life on them.

The colors on the Odyssey were great, but hunting for the extremely tiny sweet spot was not so nice,  and the headset itself was probably one of the most uncomfortable things ever made. (My nose and face still hurts thinking about it!) 🙂

For myself  I'll be keeping the quest 3, and already have a good offer for the quest 2 That will help offset making the jump. I haven't tried any of the AR capabilities yet, because I need to scan and set up an uncluttered room, But I find the possibilities intriguing on that as well.

Good luck to all, whatever we choose!

my gosh, I could never go back to my G2, tried it after 7 days of using the Q3 and the G2 was horrible, couldn't enjoy that postage stamp sweet spot any longer, in comparison I love the Q3 and the clarity is amazing (not Pimax Crystal amazing) and I am using an oldish computer RTX 3070 and 10700F.

Edited by clayton4115

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

On 10/20/2023 at 3:32 PM, FlyIce said:

my gosh, I could never go back to my G2, tried it after 7 days of using the Q3 and the G2 was horrible, couldn't enjoy that postage stamp sweet spot any longer, in comparison I love the Q3 and the clarity is amazing (not Pimax Crystal amazing) and I am using an oldish computer RTX 3070 and 10700F.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram