Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Intel 14th Gen CPUs Out Oct 17

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-launches-14th-gen-raptor-lake-refresh-core-i9-14900k-i7-14700k-and-i5-14600k-on-october-17

The linked article has some gaming comparisons with the 7950X3D but hopefully before long we’ll get some benchmarks including MSFS and the 7800X3D to see if any of the gap between the 7800X3D and the i9 13900k has been closed.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Tom‘s hardware has some MSFS benchmarks:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i9-14900k-cpu-review

Looks like a negligible improvement over the 13900k in MSFS and the AMD chips still outperform.

Now that that’s settled I may have to finally bite the bullet on a 7800X3D upgrade…seems like the best call windows 10 reinstall aside.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

58 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Tom‘s hardware has some MSFS benchmarks:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i9-14900k-cpu-review

Looks like a negligible improvement over the 13900k in MSFS and the AMD chips still outperform.

Now that that’s settled I may have to finally bite the bullet on a 7800X3D upgrade…seems like the best call windows 10 reinstall aside.

Thanks Dave was waiting on toms hardware man I guess I have to move also lol here we go amd 7800X3D upgrade.

Edited by Silverbird
  • Like 1

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Are there 4K MSFS2020 Gen 14 benchmarks anywhere?  Anyway regardless of that for me the choice seems to be either the 14700K or the 13900K.  Not impressed by the increased power draw of the 14900K.  The AMD route would be a lot more expensive as I would need to get new DDR5 ram and a new cooler as well as the CPU and MB.

Bruce

Edited by brucewtb
New info

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Yeah, another set of dreadful chips from Intel. Run hot, use way too much power and are just an overall terrible value offer. Especially seeing the tiny performance uplift from 13th gen (let's be honest, this is a 13th gen refresh, not even worth calling it a new generation). 

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

The takeaway for me: If you want balanced gaming/productivity performance: 14700K. If you want best gaming performance, especially for MSFS: 7800x3d. Does this sound about right to the rest of you?

The difference in power draw between intel and amd (x3d) is dramatic, eh?

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

12 hours ago, somiller said:

The takeaway for me: If you want balanced gaming/productivity performance: 14700K.

That is my assessment as well. But what I would also like to know is how well this Gen 14 part would play when paired with a Gen 13 motherboard and bios upgrade.  You seem to get 13900K performance out of the 14700K and it is 200 AUD cheaper.  So appealing if for whatever reason you want to stay on the intel platform.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

On 10/18/2023 at 1:29 PM, Sethos said:

(let's be honest, this is a 13th gen refresh, not even worth calling it a new generation). 

Exactly, Intel are having a laugh calling it a new generation. All of the YT PC guy's like Jays2Cents and Gamers nexus are saying the same. 

• Upvote 1

Heres one of the few videos I found 

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Interesting vids.  So some benefit in MSFS2020 for the 14900K over the 13900K and for DDR5 over DDR4 at 1080P.  But I assume these differences could be rather less at 4K where the quality of the GPU has greater influence on FPS.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

On 10/22/2023 at 4:41 AM, brucewtb said:

Interesting vids.  So some benefit in MSFS2020 for the 14900K over the 13900K and for DDR5 over DDR4 at 1080P.  But I assume these differences could be rather less at 4K where the quality of the GPU has greater influence on FPS.

Bruce

That PCIE 5 faster throughput on the 790 MB, The GPU has a bigger effect on 4K which again will benefit from a faster throughput.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 10/23/2023 at 7:08 PM, G-RFRY said:

That PCIE 5 faster throughput on the 790 MB, The GPU has a bigger effect on 4K which again will benefit from a faster throughput.

The DDR4 MB I am considering - ASUS ROG Strix Z790-A Gaming Wi-Fi DDR4 -  has a PCIE 5 expansion slot.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

I still prefer the APEX almost bullet proof only two memory channels CPU more OC Headroo. 

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg