Sign in to follow this  
Guest jcmckeown

Blurries and contention (round 2)

Just to add regarding blurries, on my fs9 system I was getting them a lot. Irrespective of fs9.cfg, aa, af, refresh rate etc they wouldnt really go away. I changed my drivers for x1950 ATI to 7.10 and blurries have gone 99% of the time. There is just the odd tile here and there which comes into focus over a few seconds.Maybe try that with your system? It took a driver update for my problem to be resolved

And this is why I'm not too concerned with testing a different PSU! lol Plus my parts are already on the way.

Guest The Wizard of Oz

This is a serious suggestion to MS:Offer Mr Buchner a position in the ACES team for assisting in the development of FS11 and 12.I believe he has a lot to offer.Re WOZ

Guest h9000

Well, then there is something wrong with my configuration...But what does it exactly mean? I reinstalled windows, nothing changed, and I have no problem with any other game...I am giving up. Emough time lost on that. I'll try X-Plane until some hypothetical patch is released.Just for fun, some screenshots. Settings are the same (the ones Phil described), position is the same, flight was the same. One is RTM, the other SP2. Enjoy.

Guest cbuchner1

Totally off-topic, but this year's round of H1B visas already filled up on the first day applications were accepted - the quota of 65000 visas is currently *way* exceeded by demand. With the exchange rates vs the Euro I'd rather not earn US dollars right now. ;) This was different in 2001 when I last worked in the US.I am about to shift my Tileproxy engagement towards FlightGear (open source). Expect some high res texturing to be seen in Flight Gear in a few months. I intend to release the final Beta 6 for FSX sometime soon but I cannot solve the performance problems (blurries) and the Win-Vista quirks (I am lacking detail knowledge of the Windows filesystem and caching model).Christian

Guest DC-9

I honestly don't think it's a configuration issue from my own experience. It seems like the terrain/scenery engine is not prioritizing texture loading the way it should. I've tweaked and tweaked, but yet I still get blurry textures. The FPS is fine, just that the texture loading is way too slow. I'm not even running the sliders all the way to the right. In fact, I still get them even with most completely to the left. I too surely hope someone can find a solution; I too am ready to uninstall and make the switch to X-Plane. It's a real shame. :(

Hi Graham,"I changed my drivers for x1950 ATI to 7.10 and blurries have gone 99% of the time."Yes, I've been with ATI cards for some time now and am currently also using the great X1950 Pro 512MB (PCI-E) card with the 7.10 WHQL drivers. I hesitate to say it again, but blurries are not really much of an issue here either. The only times I see them to any significant extent are when my CPU - AMD Athlon 64X2 4800+ (2400MHz)(Toledo) - is struggling in denser scenery situations.The Catalyst 7.10 WHQL drivers + Ray Adams' Ati Tray Tools are a terrific combo IMHO and make it so easy to tweak the drivers, which now include AA Supersampling. I've never seen such a sharp image both in FS9 and now in FSX.Edit: Here is a cropped and uncompressed image taken at 1000ft over KSEA and 15fps (FRAPS) full screen:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/180274.jpgCheers,Mike

Guest ceedee

Hi everyone I too suffer the blurries with sp1 and accelerationI have tried everything i can see recommended in this threadand others to no avail :( I detailed what I get in another thread before discovering this onehope it is OK to link to it rather than re typing everything out again.http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?...=65914&start=15 I have no advice to offer and like other sufferers of this issueam just waiting to see if anything emerges sometime to fix this really annoying issue. Regards Ceedee

Guest tmholopa

hi, I AM USING DX 9 IN XP HOME:my system also induces blurries after SP1 and SP2.when i fly over seattle at 800 knots with no fiber frame time tweak i get NO blurries. but when i change fiber tweak to 0.10 i get blurries when flying just 400 knots over seattle.i wanted to lower the fiber frame time cuz it brings FPS up. i only have 15-25 fps over seattle, no bloom and low 2.x water, weather ultra high and some ai traffic all other settings maxed.if i have 30 fps and enable max 2.x water from low 2.x i go down to 16 fps and if i add bloom to the mix i go down to 10 fpsmy system is :core 2 duo @3.3GHZ2 GB of memory at 800Mhz 4-4-4-12asus striker extreme1000 Watt enermax galaxygeforce 8800GTX gainward bliss, driver: 163.7519" monitorwatercoolingAntec p180 casesoundblaster X-fi elite prop.s.i have completely lost all airport buildings in detailed scenery like seattle after SP2. after SP1 airport buildings were black.greetings tero

Sorry, I am not surprised you get blurries in that particular case. You said you lowered fiber frame time : this will take time away from the texture rendering engine => less time to render means that you get blurries. If on the contrary you put a higher number in, you tell the system to use more time to render the texture : less blurring, but lower framerates. There is only so much a processor can do in a given period of time. Also Phil recommended not to employ this tweak if you have a dual core processor.Bloom in DX9 is known to give a penalty of 50% or more in DX9. Same for water at 2.X high or max. This is different in DX10 tough, the penalty for bloom and high 2.X water is only 1 frame (on my system anyway). It seems they (finally) transmitted a lot more to the video card in DX10. Now waiting for NVIDIA to fix the drivers (at best, I get the same FPS between DX9 and DX10, but most of the time, I loose a few FPS with DX10 enabled. Is there somebody who can recommend the best driver for FSX ? 169.04 is a bit faster then (WHQL)163.75, but I get the "driver stopped working" message).So maybe it is time to try out Vista for you?You say : "I only have 15-25 fps over Seattle, no bloom and low 2.x water"Personally, I would be very happy with that, but when I overclock my processor, I get CTD after five minutes, I am afraid I have an instable memory module, but I could not isolate it yet.Jan

Guest jase439

Pretty #### good deduction I think. With RTM (and as others have illustrated here with screenshots), I rarely encountered blurry textures, but the stuttering caused by the terrain system made the sim less than usable.With SP1, the stuttering is gone, and the simulation performance is much improved. But as you noted, the terrain draw operations appear to be batched and resolve from the edge of the terrain radius and move inwards towards the aircraft (which seems bass-ackwards to me). I found, that with SP1, reducing my terrain detail radius greatly improves the "refresh rate" of the terrain and textures near the aircraft. The tradeoff, of course, is that at altitude you witness alot of autogen popping into view, terrain LOD artifacts, and mip-map effects that you normally do not see. For low altitude flights (below 5K), you wouldn't know the difference, however.

Ok, well I'm on my new system now. I ended up having to get a new PSU since the TP-II 550 didn't have the 8 pin power plug for this MBD. As to the blurries, I have mixed results. SP1/SP2 Texture load has improved a great deal with this system, as I no longer fly over a blurry mess, for he most part, but SP2 texture load on this 3.4GHz dual core is still nowhere near as good as it was on my single core with RTM.While things have improved quite a bit, they are far from working corectly. If I switch views it instantly UNLOADS the textures, and I am left with a blurry mess. What I mean is I can be in spot view, then switch to cockpit, then to the fixed external view, at which point ALL ground texture insantly snap into EXTREME blur. This kind of behaviour never happened with RTM. There are also lots of other little things such as turning in another direction that cause the texture loader to seemingly "mess up", and all the texures fall behind, although on my new system they do recover, where on my Athlon64 they simply would not recover. So its better, but still not as good as RTM, as RTM texture load is absolutly flawless on this system, I just wish i could say the same for SP2. And like I said, even my single core 2.8Ghz loads textures much much better with RTM than this dual core 3.4Ghz does with SP2.If it were not for add ons requiring SP1/SP2, there is no way I would use SP1/SP2, as RTM is far superior in my mind, but I dont want to be left out of the addon market. So I am a torn as to whether I should stay with RTM, or put up with SP2. Frankly I dont feel I should have to put up with it, it should work like RTM.

Ok after some more testing and tweaking I am happy to say my blurries are now almost non existant. I still see the occasional glitch where where all the textures snap into extreme blurr, but outside of that my texture loading is now pretty much what it was in the RTM version. Going 250mph at tree tops the textures stay sharp, and even at 475mph they stay sharp or one step behind sharp, and keep up to that level just fine, which is quite impressive for that speed.As to the tweaks I did, I set a 10MB buffer pool, set texture bandwith mult to 45, fiber frame fraction up to .40, and a framerate lock of 25. I did lose some fps with these settings, but its running so fast on this system it doesn't matter, as it stays pegged at 25 nearly all the time, with an occasional dip to 23, and thats with all scenery sliders far right, and autogen at very dense. I must say I'm quite impressed with the way FSX-SP2 performs on this system. When I pan around the aircraft from spot view it is totally smooth, with not one stutter or hitch.Fast RAM is a big help. I run mine at 4-4-4-10 1T @ 875MHz 1:1.Here's one of me cruising along with SP2, and the textures look awesome. Maybe those tweaks will help somebody else too. http://sio.midco.net/FTP4/xpackp51.jpg

Guest stevehow

solar that looks fantastic..you lucky s^&^%..now i'm going to have to upgrade AGAIN!!ArgHH steve:-)

Guest heikob

Hi,i also had big big trouble with blurries. I use Windows Vista Home Premium, FSX + AccelerationI tried everything, but nothing really helped. The texture loading was so slow, there must have been something locking/blocking a proper load.Today, I disables two windows services, Windows Defender and Windows Search (Searchindexer) and wow, things are much better now!!!Not sure which one caused the trouble, I assume it is Searchindexer. So if you do not need file indexing, just try this once!I hope this will do it for you as well, just let me know if it helped...Regards,Heiko