Sign in to follow this  
Guest jcmckeown

Blurries and contention (round 2)

Guest S77th-GOYA

You can stop wondering. As I posted above, I have XP Home and very bad blurries.

Guest Beetle

>Phil, >With all the issues that the blurries is throwing up is there>going to be a new service pack to maybe address the problems>so many of us are experiencing.>>Best Regards,>>Samsadly, no. phil stated in an earlier thread, almost gleefully, that there will be no further SPs for FSX- in his words "nothing. nada. zilch."i dont think it is too much to ask, with almost all my sliders to the left and zero autogen, for clear ground textures.i am sincerely hoping that the debacle that was FSX (and its resulting SPs) teaches MS that better quality control is needed for this franchise. i enjoy flight simming too much to watch MS wreck its loyal customer base.

620 Kts and no blurries (DX10, post SP2)f18mo2.jpg

It was't gleefully. It was to send a clear message since my blog post didn't seem to register. Logically, if the application works on configs A,B,C and not on configuration D then the most likely issue is the local configuration and not the application. That doesnt mean the issue cannot be with the application, just that it seems unlikely. Otherwise the application would be broken everywhere.

Guest The Wizard of Oz

I guess the next questions have got to be:1. Hands up all those with blurries and what is your Op system (XP Home or Pro)2. Hands Up all those without blurries and what is your system (XP Home or Pro)Then do a statistical count.I'll start I have no permanent blurries with FSX (unless I switch views rapidly and I get them momentarily - but this has always been the case with FS). I got blurries in isolated areas using Tileproxy (that uses the FS9 texture loading). I have XP Home.WOZ

>i dont think it is too much to ask, with almost all my sliders>to the left and zero autogen, for clear ground textures.>Me either! That should be in the "Flight Simmers Bill of Rights.", hehe.>i am sincerely hoping that the debacle that was FSX :) Nice opinion. :)No blurries here.Really, if you're going all sliders left with any computer built in the last 3 years, and you still have blurries, there IS something wrong in your config.I don't exactly have a supercomputer and yet I can run it mid-high sliders with no blurries.You can achieve the same!RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

If you say that you have all sliders to the left, do you mean also "Global Texture Resolution" and "Level of Detail Radius" at minimum and for Filtering : "None" ?Because if you have those minimized, you WILL have blurry textures. The program is designed like that.You can turn everything else (I think) to the left, but should keep those maximized and Filtering at "Trilinear" or "Anisitropic".If you still have blurries with the settings as I described above, I would really start to worry about my hardware and/or check my box thoroughly for viruses.Just my 2 cents. Jan

Terrain textures are influenced by the Scenery tab slider for Texture Resolution. You can confirm that influences terrain texture by manipulating it and that will force a terrain reload. The Global Texture Resolution slider influences everything else ( aircraft, scenery, water, etc ). You can confirm this by fiddling with this slider and seeing that you never get a terrain rebuild.If you:1)set mesh resolution and texture resolution to 1m on the Scenery tab and turn Global Texture Resolution to Very High on the Graphics tab 2)turn all other sliders to the left3)and still have blurry textures with no add-ons thenThere is something wrong with your configuration; as there is an existence proof of all the other users that this works and results in non-blurry textures.

The settings for the FA-18 pic on the previous page were:Frame rate unlimitedGlobal texture resolution Very highPreview DX10No bloomAdvanced animationsAircraft casts shadows on groundAircraft casts shadows on itselfAircraft landing-lights illuminate groundLOD largeMesh complexity 100Mesh resolution 5mTexture resolution 1mWater effects Hig 2.xScenery complexity Extremely denseAutogen density Extremely denseNo ground scenery shadowsSpecial effects detail HighCloud draw distance 60miDetailed cloudsCloud coverage density MaximumAirline traffic 100%GA traffic 100%Airport vehicle density MediumRoad vehicles 100%Ships and ferries 10%Leisure boats 15%Using 1m photographic textures with custom autogen.Mobo: Asus Striker ExtremeCPU: Q6600 G0RAM: 2 pairs of 2GB Corsair Twin2X 800MHzXFX GeForce 8800GTX 570MHz 768MB 169.04 drivers3x 150GB Raptors750GB SATA 300Note. I have had a few driver crashes when running DX10 but these seem to be when flying in a particular area.

Here is a quick test that shows the effects of filtering with 1)Global Texture Resolution at Max, 2)Mesh Resolution at 1M, and 3)Texture Resolution at 1M 4)with all other sliders leftin the Trike in the default flight and then paused. That means all textures are keeping up. Here are 4 test images, showinghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/179920.txt = no filteringhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/179921.txt = bilinear filteringhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/179922.txt = trilinear filteringhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/179923.txt = anisotropic filteringNotice that bilinear and trilinear do show the natural effect of filtering, which is to blur the pixels in a square NxN region; and that anisotropic shows the benefits of a filter kernel that is not square ( eg not NxN ).This is an easy test to reproduce. If you rig doesnt show crisper textures for the no-filtering and less blurring for the anisotropic case then there clearly is a local issue.

Guest S77th-GOYA

>If you:>1)set mesh resolution and texture resolution to 1m on the>Scenery tab and turn Global Texture Resolution to Very High on>the Graphics tab >2)turn all other sliders to the left>3)and still have blurry textures with no add-ons then>>There is something wrong with your configuration; as there is>an existence proof of all the other users that this works and>results in non-blurry textures.So conversely, if blurries go away by using those settings then there is nothing wrong with your config? I just tried those settings and it is, at best, an ugly mess. But yes, the blurries were gone, meaning that sharper textures didn't load if I paused and waited for them.So, have I just proven that settings that don't look horrible but have blurries are not my config's fault?If my converse logic fails, please correct me. I'm simply trying to get meaning out of your post.

I do not understand your response.If you have blurries "all the time" and cannot repro what I showed, then yes I am contending that is a config issue.When you say "at best, an ugly mess", and then "the blurries were gone, meaning that sharper textures didn't load if I paused and waited for them"these statements seem to contradict each other or I cannot extract meaning from them. Do you get a similar result, in that no filtering and anisotropic filtering show clearer and bilinear and trilinear show blurred?In the test I posed, the sim was paused. Meaning all textures are "caught up". And simply by changing the type of filtering I can show that filtering creates some blurriness since that is what filtering does. And of course this is with the default scenery.If you cannot repro exactly that, then yes you have a config issue. That does not establish anything else yet, just an attempt to isolate the effect of filtering.

Guest S77th-GOYA

My previous post referred to only what I quoted, not anything involving filtering. I will try your filtering tests next. There is no contradiction in my post. The settings you posted produce a very unattractive landscape at all times. By saying that I had no blurries with those settings, I simply meant that in flying across the terrain, the texture loading was keeping up with me. At more attractive settings, it can take up to a minute before the sharper textures fully load after a pause of the sim. To me that is the definition of "blurries". Perhaps we have a different understanding of the term.

All my discussion was about that particular test and that particular post, I did not understand you were discussing something outside that context. One step at a time, if you will.If at some settings the engine keeps up, and at other settings it does not - that is a classic indication you are overdriving the engine for your hw config and need to reduce settings.

Guest S77th-GOYA

>All my discussion was about that particular test and that>particular post, I did not understand you were discussing>something outside that context. One step at a time, if you>will.The context of my post was within my post; Your quoted text.>If at some settings the engine keeps up, and at other settings>it does not - that is a classic indication you are overdriving>the engine for your hw config and need to reduce settings.That would seem to make sense, however, nearly every thread I have read concerning blurries disputes that claim. For example, Geofa never had blurries but got them by simply changing monitors. For the life of me, I don't see how that would change the efficiency of his PC to load FSX textures in any combination of settings. A better example would be the case of two identically built PCs running the same FSX settings with the same drivers and one has blurries and the other does not.