Sign in to follow this  
JethroTull

How can I buy a PMDG for FSX?

Hi, I still fly with FSX (Steam Edition) and I would like to be able to buy a PMDG 737, but it does not appear on the producers' site.
How could I buy it?
Thank you

I'm pretty sure it has been discontinued.

David Porrett

No, it's been discontinued for quite a while now. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I think PMDG is missing the boat by not continuing to sell their FSX products.  They are stable, requiring little support and run well under FSX. 

• Like 2

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

5 hours ago, jmdriskell said:

I think PMDG is missing the boat by not continuing to sell their FSX products.  They are stable, requiring little support and run well under FSX. 

That maybe so, but it doesn't really make any sense for PMDG to continue selling a product for a 17 year old simulator.  I would imagine the market for new sales of PMDG products for FSX would be very very small and the support necessary would not be worth the investment.  Considering that most serious simmers of FSX, that would be interested in PMDG products, would already own it. I would think that most new simmers would go with a more modern simulator like MSFS then invest their money on an old simulator like FSX. So I would assume that there really is no business case for PMDG.  Life moves forward whether we like it or not. 

• Like 2

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

36 minutes ago, Nurmblitz said:

Sure you can find a CD-box somewhere.

You could probably find the boxes/CD's on eBay or similar somewhere... But can you even install it and activate it anymore?

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I search the web but I can't find anything. I really don't understand. PMDG can discontinue the sales, but why nobody sell it anymore?

I haven't the money to upgrade my PC and I bought FSX from Steam. If FSX is still on the market, why not the PMDG products?

8 hours ago, JethroTull said:

I search the web but I can't find anything. I really don't understand. PMDG can discontinue the sales, but why nobody sell it anymore?

I haven't the money to upgrade my PC and I bought FSX from Steam. If FSX is still on the market, why not the PMDG products?

There's probably serveral reasons for this. Some I can come up with:

• Activation infrastructure has (most likely) been taken down. This means, that you're most likely unable to activate the products; hence use them.
  • Non of the PMDG-members (not to mention the Support-team) has FSX or FSX: Steam installed anymore, which most likely means, that they're unable to support any customers who should purchase the software. Taking money for a products, means that you've comitted yourself to provide technical and general support for the software and making sure that such paying customers, are able to use set software. Not being able to support the software, means not selling the software. And I kinda understand that position.
  • The PMDG FSX products were probably also designed for a different Operating System, than what is used today. Most likely Windows XP or Windows 7. Neither of which is supported and is obsolete. It's not clear that the PMDG addons, designed for those legacy OS'es, would work well with modern a OS like Windows 10 or 11. 
  • They could (probably) release the FSX products as freeware and make it clear, that NO support is given! But that would probably present their own problems... 

I don't know what to tell you... Time moved on. I don't know what computer you have, but is it completely impossible for you to run P3Dv5 or MSFS in the lowest settings?

• Like 2

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

At least I could install my MD-11 and J41 from Aerosoft CD-ROMs to a completely new PC so I guess those do not require even web.

On 11/5/2023 at 4:55 AM, anden145 said:

There's probably serveral reasons for this. Some I can come up with:

• Activation infrastructure has (most likely) been taken down. This means, that you're most likely unable to activate the products; hence use them.
  • Non of the PMDG-members (not to mention the Support-team) has FSX or FSX: Steam installed anymore, which most likely means, that they're unable to support any customers who should purchase the software. Taking money for a products, means that you've comitted yourself to provide technical and general support for the software and making sure that such paying customers, are able to use set software. Not being able to support the software, means not selling the software. And I kinda understand that position.
  • The PMDG FSX products were probably also designed for a different Operating System, than what is used today. Most likely Windows XP or Windows 7. Neither of which is supported and is obsolete. It's not clear that the PMDG addons, designed for those legacy OS'es, would work well with modern a OS like Windows 10 or 11. 
  • They could (probably) release the FSX products as freeware and make it clear, that NO support is given! But that would probably present their own problems... 

I don't know what to tell you... Time moved on. I don't know what computer you have, but is it completely impossible for you to run P3Dv5 or MSFS in the lowest settings?

I have an i5 3330 with 16 Gb RAM a 480 Gb SSD, a 1 Tb HD and a nvidia geforce GT 1030. I tried the MSFS and it neves starts. Here (Argentina) there is an attack against the peso and the dolar have ridiculous values, for me it's impossible to buy something better now.

I don't know if the P3Dv5 can run in my PC. I have bought the first version of P3D and never loved it.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 12:55 AM, anden145 said:

Non of the PMDG-members (not to mention the Support-team) has FSX or FSX: Steam installed anymore, which most likely means, that they're unable to support any customers who should purchase the software. Taking money for a products, means that you've comitted yourself to provide technical and general support for the software and

...not just support for the software but also having to deal with compatibility issues with legacy hardware eg. versions of Windows 7 and hardware that are not compatible with new versions of DirectX.

• Like 1