Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

Legends of the Silk Road and its mountains (15 Pics)..

The Silk Road that had flourished, thousands of years ago, as a means of connecting the West to the East for trading, is a fascinating piece of human history. Just as Aviation is about moving from one place to another, it was also about travel.... over nearly 5,000 miles, say, from Rome (Italy) to Beijing (China). The path traversed the most inhospitable and rugged regions, existing on this Earth, through the highest mountains and the driest deserts. In the ancient times, the overland journey might take one full year...with Camels and Caravans. For comparison, I was checking now a bit...an Air China B787-9, having departed Rome, has just landed in Beijing, after a non-stop flight of only about 10 hours...🙂...

The Silk Road in a modern form, still exists today. However, there is also another (interesting) reference to Silk Road, for us Aviation enthusiasts, in modern times. The first Boeing Jet B707 flew in 1957, and the (new entrant) Airbus's first Jet A300 flew 15 years later, in 1972. So, to counter the likes of (entrenched) Boeing and Douglas, Airbus took a page out of the Silk Road. In addition to the normal markets, it also heavily focused on Central Asian and Far Eastern customers, along the Silk Road, so to speak. The so-called "Silk Road" strategy paid off for Airbus with (critical) additional orders for its a/c. 

One of the primary routes on the Silk Road, in Central Asia, passed thorough regions bound on the north and the south by great mountain ranges. For my post here, I've focused on the Pamir Mountain Range, known as the "Roof of the World", located to the north of the Westernmost Himalayas. It appears that the famous Marco Polo had travelled on an expedition route through these Pamir Mountains, to China, what would be eventually called the Silk Road. It's to be noted that these regions are so formidable that even the most modern (commercial) jetliners tend to (respectfully) stay clear of their highest peaks, and if they do venture near them, they must often adhere to "ETOPS" guidance, even though over ground. I can only imagine the (humble) thoughts going through the minds of these (long-haul) Pilots, overflying these mountains that might be reaching near 30,000 ft. And, of course, yours truly, here, in the TBM 930, is undaunted for this adventure, while comfortably seated on an easy chair...🙂...

I would not have imagined this flight in my past SIMs, but, I thought, it might be worthwhile with MSFS scenery. So, I hope, you enjoy this set of pictures of my flight from Jammu (VIJU), directly up north, to Tashkent (UTTT), over the ranges like Hindu Kush, Karakoram, and Pamir (see MFD Map) ...while feeling, maybe, a glimpse of what Marco Polo must have felt when he passed through these (same) regions with his father, when he was 17...

Thanks for viewing...!

UIJ8Ls.png

wSk2GQ.png

1x2hxM.png

pDMSxV.png

PzDgOR.png

ztxdid.png

KCUypU.png

I6vffr.png

t1tbJB.png

KugpPY.png

TnbMfl.png

hWFWwX.png

XAqz82.png

byRZCq.png

2gC80y.png

• Like 6

Nice mix of history and geography included in that prelude to great screenshots.

• Like 1

Beautiful set, again with some nice scenery around 👍

cheers 😉

• Like 2

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Another fine sequence, P_7878 !!

• Like 1

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Not the easiest region to fly, just imagine clouds, rain or snow...

• Like 1

Cheers, Gerold

Spoiler

Hardware: Intel i9-13900K @ 4.2 Ghz, BENQ EW3270U (3840*2160), 32 GB RAM DDR5-6000, Gigabyte Gaming OC Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB, Samsung 980 Pro M.2: 1 TB (Win 11-System), Samsung 870 QVO SSD: 2 TB (MSFS), 2 * Samsung 850 EVO SSD: 1 TB (P3D 4.5 HF3) & 500 GB (spare). Scenery / Add-Ons: Lots of commercial & freeware sceneries. Plus REX Weather Force (MSFS), FS Global Mesh 2010, ActiveSky_P3Dv4, ASCA, EzDok v3, Pro-ATC/X and REX 4 Texture Direct (all for P3D).

On 11/11/2023 at 8:13 AM, bernd1151 said:

Another fine sequence, P_7878 !!

On 11/16/2023 at 12:12 AM, Stiller Water said:

Not the easiest region to fly, just imagine clouds, rain or snow...

Bernd, Gerold: Thanks for the additional comments...!

[Gerold, surely, yes, even for modern flying, weather elements must pose a significant challenge in this region... BTW, I now recall, during my one visit to Kathmandu, years ago, when I was waiting to board the Tara Air (Dornier/Twin-Otter?) for a (much-anticipated) trip to Lukla, the flight was cancelled in the last minute due to adverse weather conditions and visibility, at the destination.... I was a bit disappointed, but it was certainly for the better...]

• Like 1