Sign in to follow this  
Bill A

Nvidia Game Recorder with MSFS

Hi all, those that use the Nvidia recorder to record their flights, how are you getting a smooth play back when playing back your flight as an MP4? I sim runs very smooth with frames unlocked. But in the playback when the takeoff roll starts things start to get a bit choppy and jumpy even though during the recording it was nice an smooth. I have tried 30 frames and its horrible, 60 frames is not too bad during flight and taxi but landing and takeoff its a different story.  I even cranked the bitrate to max but that made no difference.

How are other Youtubers getting such smooth playback when recording their flights? I have tried locking frames, unlocking frames, G-Sync on/ off...and more

My monitor is running at 240mz, I do have a side monitor and that is running at 60mz but I just use that monitor for Navigraph, Vpilot, PacX

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

22 minutes ago, Bill A said:

My monitor is running at 240mz

no way, you mean 240 Hz, Mhz would be 1.000 Hz 😊

make sure to either temporarily disable any anti virus or at least exclude the recording directory. make sure the recording drive has plenty free space, otherwise write speeds go down considerably. might want to test/benchmark raw write speed. might help to have MSFS and recording directory on separate NVME's

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

LOL, yes 240Hz

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

4 hours ago, turbomax said:

no way, you mean 240 Hz, Mhz would be 1.000 Hz 😊

MHz would actually be 1.000.000 Hz...

• Like 1

I use the game bar and it's smooth. I haven't even installed GeForce Experience since a long time. Maybe give it a try...

Edited by MrFuzzy

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

42 minutes ago, Mgard78 said:

MHz would actually be 1.000.000 Hz

correct, I meant: 1 MHz = 1.000 KHz

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

You will find your head hurts running with all those Hz

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

tried the game bar recorder and still not very smooth as the actual sim was ran

Game bar only does 1080P recording and creates big files, (don't know what the bitrate is).

GeForce recording is far superior. I did a recording at 4K60 and it was pretty smooth. I recorded on to a different drive and the bitrate was set to 50Mbps.

22 hours ago, Bill A said:

tried the game bar recorder and still not very smooth as the actual sim was ran

I've had the best luck running GFE video record at max bitrate and at 8K after reading someone's argument that somehow that works best.  But it's not perfect, not as perfect as MSFS is and no wonder since MSFS pretty much maxing out many resources at least here.  The best method is to use a video capture card in a second machine I'm told and then you can get best possible video.

Here's one I did that is quite smooth, and to do it had to load a plane easy to process, AS CRJ:

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I've been using Nvidia Shadowplay to record flights for a long time, and here's my (layman's) takes:

I guess the foundation for a smooth recording is basically an exact match between the framerate in the sim and the rate at which it is recorded. Nvidia Shadowplay allows to record with 60 fps or 30 fps. As long as MSFS puts out exactly 30 or 60 fps, your recording will be smooth. So my settings within MSFS are VSync On with 1/2 refresh rate on my 60 Hz monitor in order to get a smooth and stable 30 Hz framerate within the sim, and recording with 30 fps. But regardless of a smooth ingame performance, Shadowplay recordings will be stuttery, especially in complex situations like takeoffs and landings.

Looking at different framerate counters I think what happens is that despite a smooth look and feel, the framerate in the sim isn't exactly 30 fps, it is somewhere between 25 and 35 fps. And that shows in the recordings. And I also noticed that while flying I tend to concentrate on the centre of the screen, while stutters are more noticeable in the corners - and that's where you have time to look in recordings.

I get better results with OBS Studio, but sometimes the recordings are stuttery as well. I'm not yet finished with the more enhanced settings there, but I think as long as the hardware isn't capable of producing a rock solid framreate to match the recording rate in every situation, compromises have to be made.

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

52 minutes ago, Tom_L said:

I've been using Nvidia Shadowplay to record flights for a long time, and here's my (layman's) takes:

I guess the foundation for a smooth recording is basically an exact match between the framerate in the sim and the rate at which it is recorded. Nvidia Shadowplay allows to record with 60 fps or 30 fps. As long as MSFS puts out exactly 30 or 60 fps, your recording will be smooth. So my settings within MSFS are VSync On with 1/2 refresh rate on my 60 Hz monitor in order to get a smooth and stable 30 Hz framerate within the sim, and recording with 30 fps. But regardless of a smooth ingame performance, Shadowplay recordings will be stuttery, especially in complex situations like takeoffs and landings.

Looking at different framerate counters I think what happens is that despite a smooth look and feel, the framerate in the sim isn't exactly 30 fps, it is somewhere between 25 and 35 fps. And that shows in the recordings. And I also noticed that while flying I tend to concentrate on the centre of the screen, while stutters are more noticeable in the corners - and that's where you have time to look in recordings.

I get better results with OBS Studio, but sometimes the recordings are stuttery as well. I'm not yet finished with the more enhanced settings there, but I think as long as the hardware isn't capable of producing a rock solid framreate to match the recording rate in every situation, compromises have to be made.

Thank you. I think you gave nailed it on what's going on. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom_L said:

But regardless of a smooth ingame performance, Shadowplay recordings will be stuttery, especially in complex situations like takeoffs and landings.

It's dark so you may not see it as well but not stuttery here--look at the taxiway lines and lights as the plane is turning on to the runway threshold--very smooth and in DX12 mode in MSFS, no stuttering.  I'm pretty sure this was done at a frame rate of 33 as well so the capture rate and frame rate were not the same.  I think the reason this came out so good was a function of using a plane much easier to process as the Aerosoft CRJs are relative to PMDG/FBW/WT

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

7 minutes ago, Noel said:

I'm pretty sure this was done at a frame rate of 33

I think what is most important is stabilty within the range of the capturing framerate. Maybe your real framerate was more in the range of 31 to 33 due to the less demanding CRJ while in a more complex aircraft it might fluctuate from 27 to 35 fps. There is certainly some threshold where stutters become noticeable. I have smooth footage with the Kodiak as well as stuttery results, and the capturing software for sure isnˋt aware of the airplane we are using.

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

@Bill A If you plan on a lot of screen recording I would suggest a dedicated program that will give you zero issues with numerous features beyond screen capture. ACTION screen recorder on sale now for $20 - lifetime license! Never had a problem and extremely user friendly.

https://mirillis.com/store-action

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Beautiful Sunset Flight Over Burlington, Ontario + Cool Instrumental + GoPro Aerial Cameras | 4K