Hi all,

With Christmas looming up and my family never knowing what to buy me, I’ve decided that my aged Saitek Pro yoke is getting a bit long in the tooth (a bit like me). I intend to keep the Saitek rudder pedals which I am happy with.

I’d appreciate any suggestions/opinions from the community as to what would be a good replacement for it. Price is not entirely an issue as long as it’s not exorbitant, but I’d probably stretch a bit if the product seemed much better than other contenders.

I am an MSFS user these days and my aircraft of choice that I use regularly are the PMDG 737, FBW Airbus A320 and the Cessna 172 for my VFR flying. Obviously the Boeing and Airbus systems are completely different so I’m looking for a hybrid yoke that would suit all.

I’d be very interested to hear your views and experiences on what you consider a good choice would be.

Please save me from another 200 pairs of socks! 😕😕

Regards Mike

****MIKE****

Love the Honeycomb Alpha for me. I also "upgraded" from the Saitek. I did love that for a long time and even modded it with the springs to help with the center indent and it was better for a time.

The honeycomb does have an indent as well but it's fairly smooth. Trim is your friend, right? I do wish that it didn't have this but it is what it is. There are other brands as well but not sure about their pros/cons.

I can only vouch for the HC. It's awesome and I've had it for several hundred hours in flight sim.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

I'd look at the Honeycomb XPC or the Thrustmaster TCA Boeing yoke.  I have the Thrustmaster yoke, used in combination with a Thrustmaster TCA Airbus sidestick for Scarebus flyin' (and the twist axis is used as a steering tiller on Boeings). 

Both yokes use Hall Effect sensors rather than pots, which is something of a must-have for me.

I have a good friend that just acquired the XPC yoke, and gives it high praise (and he's not easy to please).

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

51 minutes ago, mikelockwood said:

Obviously the Boeing and Airbus systems are completely different so I’m looking for a hybrid yoke that would suit all.

You can fly any yoke w/ any plane so trying to find a "hybrid" (between a stick and a yoke?!) isn't very practical.  I absolutely love the TM Boeing pendulum yoke I have which mimics Boeing's 787 yoke--ultra smooth magnetic sensors, full range X&Y, and sufficient programmable buttons.  I use the matching TM TQ which is fine as well, and use all of this in everything from PMDG 738 thru WT 787 and FBW A320NX, AS CRJ and the odd Daher TBM 930 and Cessna Longitude flight, all work great with these components.  The Saitek TQ was replaced after this photo.  The keyboard props up nicely w/ the included backstop for it that comes with the yoke. It helps to have a concave edge to work with for this yoke since it dips quite low: 

spacer.png

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I love my Yoko+

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

i would consider the Boeing Thrustmaster yoke package

Try it out at a store where it may has a demo.  I did and i really like the feel and response to the input when flying the 787, it is very smooth with the motions, as well as the throttle too.

Amazon is currently on sale for black friday....take a look...

Thank you everybody for your input.

Has anyone used or know of anyone that’s used the Turtle Beach Velocity One yoke? It looks very suitable for Boeing aircraft and Cessnas, if I was to add a side stick it would be ok for an Airbus. I saw it on Amazon today but no one here has mentioned it. Not sure if that’s good or bad.

Many thanks, Mike

****MIKE****

I'm a little late to the party, but IMHO it very much depends on what your mix of GA to airliner flying is. For example if a greater percentage of your flying is GA then I would say the Turtle Beach Velocity One would be as finer choice as any since it is very much laid out like the Cessna with all those switches directly in front of you and a yoke with linear travel. On top of that you have a combined throttle with accessories that meets most GA requirements. (But see my other comments below). So if flying the Cessna (and other GA's) is your primary vice then the Turtle Beach would be quite immersive. It would work with airliners too but lacks the immersion of say the Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant which includes reverse levers and AP controls etc that gets you as near to a MCP that you can without actually having an MCP! If GA is more your thing then this wont matter too much. 

In contrast, if flying the liners is your major activity, which might be the case considering you have two study level liners to remain current on, then I would definitely go for the TCA Thrustmaster yoke. It provides the smoothest pivot action that gives a real feel to airliner flying but will also do a handsome job of GA flying too. Of course if you select the TCA Thrustmaster you would also need to purchase separate throttles, (and a stick for the Bus). The Thrustmaster quadrant is a natural fit (sometimes bundled with the yoke) but is frankly half baked and only allows you to have either a speed brake or a flap lever but not both at the same time, no reverse levers as far as I am aware and, it simply doesn't have the utility of the programable switches, a near MCP panel capability and some fancy system annunciator lights that the Honeycomb Bravo has. The Honeycomb Bravo also has an array of GA levers and six slots to enjoy them from giving maximum opportunity for GA engine mixture and throttle controls for single and multi-engine GA.   

I went down this path about 10 months ago and it became very confusing trying to understand the good and the bad from of the multitude of offerings at varying levels of pricing and quality. I look interestingly at the Velocity One yoke and was able to demo one but frankly found it to be very light and plasticky and not really airliner immersive. I'm not the only one who has said this and generally agree with the comments in this link:

The Honeycomb Alpha (yoke) and Bravo throttle quadrant would frankly be the best of both worlds if you have GA centric or even 50/50 view of GA/airliner flying. If you are more airliner centric (like me ) then the TCA Thrustmaster yoke and Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant is the ultimate while still meeting all GA requirements should you feel the need for some seat of the pants flying. And, yes you'll have to get that Airbus stick too if you want to fly the Airbus too, although a cheap stick might suffice in this case! 

By now you will see the dollars ticking up and that will be frightening especially if you are asking someone else to buy this for Christmas! From my own study and purchases I feel very confident that many on this forum will agree with me when I say that you wont regret the cost of the Honeycomb A/B and/or TCA Thrustmaster yoke and throttle products. I'm not sure I could say that about the Velocity One yoke/throttle combo but of course it a less expensive option. But I have flown the V1 yoke and I was immediately unimpressed with it so my experience wasn't great. V1 do make solid peddles though and I haven't regretted purchasing them.   There are lots of other choices out there of course and YMMV depending on your aircraft type flying preferences, the immersion level you require and the amount you (or others) are prepared to spend. 

I hope this helps, but if it doesn't then I'm sorry but you might want to start looking at this for that Christmas hint 😏

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/shoes-and-boots/best-socks-mens

Cheers

Terry

Edited by Lord Farringdon
  • Upvote 1

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

Thank you everybody for your input.

Has anyone used or know of anyone that’s used the Turtle Beach Velocity One yoke? It looks very suitable for Boeing aircraft and Cessnas, if I was to add a side stick it would be ok for an Airbus. I saw it on Amazon today but no one here has mentioned it. Not sure if that’s good or bad.

Many thanks, Mike

****MIKE****

Hi All, thank you for all your suggestions and comments, i really appreciate it.

Terry, thank you so much for your detailed reply, I’m still laughing at the socks link 😂😂😂😂. I think I’m leaning towards Thrustmaster at the moment but still not 100%. It’s definitely an expensive minefield but on the other hand it’s false economy to buy cheap and then upgrade again later.

I’ll let you know when I’ve finally decided. I think that the family may be buying my Christmas, birthday and next Christmas present all in one go. Got to be better than socks though, right?

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

****MIKE****

Hi everyone,

I am now the proud owner of a Thrustmaster TCA Boeing flight yoke plus the Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant. Christmas has come earlier and my family has racked up a debt equivalent to a small third world country! I intend in the near future to add the Airbus throttle lever set and maybe a joystick, but I think that more than likely I’ll just use the yoke for the Airbus anyway just like I’ve always done.

So yesterday, after much head damage and stretching under the desk in dark corners, l set it all up - phase 1 done. Then after much assigning/configuring and expletives, phase 2 was completed and the PMDG 737 is ready to fly. Today I move onto the GA lever set for my Cessna. 

Thank you all for your opinions and input, I’m glad that I’ve gone the extra mile and bought a great set up, I’m really impressed with the quality of both products. Have great Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year!

Best regards,

Mike.

P.S. sock drawer now has room for flight lever sets not in use 😜😜

****MIKE****