Sign in to follow this  
jon b

Reposition tool recommendation ?

My fun is over for a few days while I have to use my sim to practice some real world stuff in advance of a sim check.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a tool to reposition the aircraft to conduct various practice approaches and routines. A failure panel to run engine failure on take off drills would also be a bonus.

A quick search brings up FS-Flightcontrol   and FSipanel but I'm not familiar with either of them.

Cheers

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

I use and highly recommend FSIPanel. It also adds failures and scenarios to some planes.

• Like 2

+2 for FSiPanel.

Exactly like an instructor's panel.
Can reset approaches from any position, and in any configuration. Plus a suite of failures to choose from.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I never noticed FSiPanel before.

"Now compatible with Horizon B787-9".  So it might be suitable for you Jon.

https://www.fsipanel.com/

I have FStarter myself but I have never used it for that purpose.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Been using FSIPanel since a few months and really happy with it.

I would have like to be able to use it cross-platform, like FSHUD, because P3D v5.4 is my base flight simulator these days, and FSIPanel I bought is for MFS 2020 only, but I still can only recommend it, for it's quality, functionality and support !

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulators: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!), AND AeroflyFS4 - Great  FLIGHT SIMULATION !!!

Thanks for all the feedback, I’ll pick up a copy of FSIPanel shortly.

Are most people using the standard edition? It looks the the features of the advanced version only work on a few aircraft so I wouldn’t need them personally , but there is the option to upgrade from standard. Which I’d probably do once the PMDG 777 is released and becomes compatible.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

40 minutes ago, jon b said:

It looks the the features of the advanced version only work on a few aircraft

More failures available on the Advanced version. But two things to note:

1. They're mainly for the 'study level' airliners (PMDG 737, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD80).

2. There is an upgrade path from the Standard to the Advanced edition.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

49 minutes ago, jon b said:

Thanks for all the feedback, I’ll pick up a copy of FSIPanel shortly.

Are most people using the standard edition? It looks the the features of the advanced version only work on a few aircraft so I wouldn’t need them personally , but there is the option to upgrade from standard. Which I’d probably do once the PMDG 777 is released and becomes compatible.

I opted for the Advanced Edition, and I have additional scenarios for the PMDG 737, Fenix A320, even though I almost never used it...

Since I seldom use MFS and spend most of the time in Airlinetools FlightDeck A32x and P3dv5.4, I seriously consider buying the license for P3d as well...

Airlinetools comes with it's own built in Positioning system, so, I'm served with that one 🙂

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulators: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!), AND AeroflyFS4 - Great  FLIGHT SIMULATION !!!

20 hours ago, jcomm said:

Since I seldom use MFS and spend most of the time in Airlinetools FlightDeck A32x and P3dv5.4, I seriously consider buying the license for P3d as well...

I've bought FSIpanel and yes it's good for repositioning for repeated approaches which is what I was after...

However...

I've also just downloaded FS-Flightcontrol and WOW ! this app is extremely powerful.

It does all the repositioning things and so much more, pushbacks, flight planning, moving map with navaids,AI and VATSIM traffic, aircraft systems and engines interrogation and interaction,  TCAS with the ability to select a specific aircraft from your collection as the intruder ! although I can't seem to get this bit working yet.

There's also the ability to program failures by passing a certain time, speed or altitude, even program a fuel leak from a specific tank at a specific flow rate.

Individual training scenarios and fuel loads can be stored, so just like on a full flight sim instructor panel it's just a single button push to select and start your stored scenario. For example left base for JFK 22L on one button, next to it could be 3nm final 27R LHR, very useful, you can do similar with custom fuel loads.

And here are the 3 best bit's

1) There's an accompanying IOS and android app to control the whole thing from your touch screen tablet, a fantastic bonus for me as I fly in VR so can just pop the headset up and almost instantly reset my scenarios on my ipad pro sat on the desk.

2) There's a free 14 day trial 

3) the best bit specifically for you @jcomm  the one program works  across P3D, XP and MSFS ! 

• Like 1

787 captain.  

3 hours ago, jon b said:

I've bought FSIpanel and yes it's good for repositioning for repeated approaches which is what I was after...

However...

I've also just downloaded FS-Flightcontrol and WOW ! this app is extremely powerful.

It does all the repositioning things and so much more, pushbacks, flight planning, moving map with navaids,AI and VATSIM traffic, aircraft systems and engines interrogation and interaction,  TCAS with the ability to select a specific aircraft from your collection as the intruder ! although I can't seem to get this bit working yet.

There's also the ability to program failures by passing a certain time, speed or altitude, even program a fuel leak from a specific tank at a specific flow rate.

Individual training scenarios and fuel loads can be stored, so just like on a full flight sim instructor panel it's just a single button push to select and start your stored scenario. For example left base for JFK 22L on one button, next to it could be 3nm final 27R LHR, very useful, you can do similar with custom fuel loads.

And here are the 3 best bit's

1) There's an accompanying IOS and android app to control the whole thing from your touch screen tablet, a fantastic bonus for me as I fly in VR so can just pop the headset up and almost instantly reset my scenarios on my ipad pro sat on the desk.

2) There's a free 14 day trial 

3) the best bit specifically for you @jcomm  the one program works  across P3D, XP and MSFS ! 

Hi,

I tried as well FS-Flightcontrol months ago but did not purchase the license as it did not meet my needs on PMDG737 and Fenix A320.

Do you fly one of these? If yes, can you confirm that PMDG and Fenix A320 failures are all simulated correctly, maybe the new update allows this, wasn't the case when I tried it.

Is the FMC programmed as well or do you have to do it yourself?

I was able to position the aircraft nicely with FS-Flightcontrol but nothing was set on the autopilot, had to mitigate to maintain altitude and speed and then program the MCDU.

Interface looks nicer than FSiPanel, definitely, that is a plus but for me FSiPanel is the winner for the setup of Fenix and PMDG and since I upgraded to the Pro version, I really like the training flights with ATC.

Will see if I can try a demo of the latest FS-Flightcontrol to compare as last time I used it was months ago.

I’ve had a quick look as I own both of those aircraft, but don’t fly them much, there’s no extra failures listed on the panel when either aircraft is loaded into the sim, so no would be the answer.

The reposition moves you quickly to your selected spot, but then you are left on flight freeze allowing you time to program your FMC and set up for the approach. When that’s done just hit the freeze button and you’re off. FS-control doesn’t set up the FMC like FSIPanel does, but that feature doesn’t work for the default 787 in MSFS with FSIPanel anyway.

I short FSIPANEL does more with your autopilot and MCP for you but takes longer to reposition, FS-control you have to set the aircraft up, either on the ground before, or in the air while frozen, but it repositions almost instantly so the net result is about the same time.

787 captain.