Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

I think you set it the target you want inclusive of FG and the all sorts it all out in the background.

It’s been working that way for me anyway.

1 minute ago, abennett said:

I think you set it the target you want inclusive of FG and the all sorts it all out in the background.

It’s been working that way for me anyway.

I think that makes sense. However I get confused by the ØFPS value which is half of the FG-FPS. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

15 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Just to make sure I understand this correctly. I'm using RTSS overlay to display FPS. Let's say I want a target FPS of 80 (with FG). Do I then set it to 40 in the app?

No, you set it to 80 in the app. If you are at your target FPS and MSFS loses focus, FG gets disabled by the graphics driver, so your RTSS overlay will show 40 FPS. The app is still set for a target of 80 and previously it would have immediately started hunting down towards 40 while MSFS has lost the focus, then back up to 80 when MSFS regains the focus. Now, it will still show 80 as the target but it knows you have FG enabled and MSFS has lost the focus so internally the target becomes 40 and there should be no more hunting like before. The issue users will have is that while it is now behaving correctly, they may wonder why the target is 80, FPS is actually 40 and TLOD is not changing. I will come up with some way to notify the user that the target has been halfed internally.

14 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I set TLOD to 200 in the sim menu. On the climb-out, will the app progressively increase to a TLOD of 400 (which I've set as max in the app) as long as the target FPS is reached?

That's an easier one to answer. Yes. 😁

Edited by Reset XPDR
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

6 minutes ago, Reset XPDR said:

The issue users will have is that while it is now behaving correctly, they may wonder why the target is 80, FPS is actually 40 and TLOD is not changing. I will come up with some way to notify the user that the target has been halfed internally.

This is why I got confused. Thanks for explaining, it crystal-clear now!

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

You are doing just simply amazing work here, so many of us are so grateful. Once it is an option for this auto version to still change TLOD even when you are on the ground it will be just perfect for my use.

A little question, is it possible to set max TLOD above 400, as you can in the usercfg, or is it limited to 400 as in the in-sim graphics options?

28 minutes ago, Reset XPDR said:
42 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I set TLOD to 200 in the sim menu. On the climb-out, will the app progressively increase to a TLOD of 400 (which I've set as max in the app) as long as the target FPS is reached?

That's an easier one to answer. Yes. 😁

Worked like a charm! 🙂

Another question: on descent below 1000ft AGL the TLOD remained constant at 400 even I set it to 200 in the sim menu. After vacating the runway and coming to a full stop, TLOD still reads 400 in the app. I somehow thought it would return to 200 (it was 200 initially when I loaded into the flight). 

Yeah this is why I think it would be better if that app could always change the TLOD. I started the flight at 50 TLOD which is too low for my system but hey, I'd rather have it super smooth. It gradually increased to 400 on the way up with zero stutters and the sim looking great. I had set FPS target to 60. In descent and approach it just stayed at 400 the whole way as I was above 60 fps, but once I had landed, taxied over to the gate, etc., I was stuttering a fair bit, but because the TLOD can't change on the ground it was just stuck at 400, which was a bit too much for my system in the Fenix and a 3rd party airport to keep 60 fps at 400 TLOD.

52 minutes ago, abennett said:

You are doing just simply amazing work here, so many of us are so grateful. Once it is an option for this auto version to still change TLOD even when you are on the ground it will be just perfect for my use.

A little question, is it possible to set max TLOD above 400, as you can in the usercfg, or is it limited to 400 as in the in-sim graphics options?

At the moment you can set TLOD you want, as long as it is positive and greater than 1, as I haven't implemented full boundary checks. I was going to limit it to 400, like the sim does. How much higher are you proposing?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

30 minutes ago, abennett said:

Yeah this is why I think it would be better if that app could always change the TLOD. I started the flight at 50 TLOD which is too low for my system but hey, I'd rather have it super smooth. It gradually increased to 400 on the way up with zero stutters and the sim looking great. I had set FPS target to 60. In descent and approach it just stayed at 400 the whole way as I was above 60 fps, but once I had landed, taxied over to the gate, etc., I was stuttering a fair bit, but because the TLOD can't change on the ground it was just stuck at 400, which was a bit too much for my system in the Fenix and a 3rd party airport to keep 60 fps at 400 TLOD.

@Reset XPDR

For AutoFPS

It would be nice to have the possibility to set a ground TLOD value in the app (0=x, like  0=125). The value x can be set by the user and the "0" is fix.

When loading into the flight that x value is chosen, when climbing the fps target is leading, when decending also, when touching down after  decending (=ground) the set ground value is set once by the app. Ground value works the same as in dynamic lod reset app. 

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

45 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Worked like a charm! 🙂

Another question: on descent below 1000ft AGL the TLOD remained constant at 400 even I set it to 200 in the sim menu. After vacating the runway and coming to a full stop, TLOD still reads 400 in the app. I somehow thought it would return to 200 (it was 200 initially when I loaded into the flight). 

If you are referring to the very latest version, in DX12 there are no TLOD updates on the ground. I will be introducing a checkbox to allow you to enable them but there is the recently much side effect of ground textures tearing with 3rd party airports in DX12, so you will have to choose your poison.

If your FPS target wasn't being met, your TLOD does continue to adjust on decent below 1000ft, just on a sliding scale. ie. if it was 5 step max above 1000ft, it will be 4 step max at 800 ft, 2 step max at 400 ft and 1 step max at 100 ft etc to gradually taper off TLOD changes on final approach. The only reason it wouldn't reduce is if your FPS was not lower than your target FPS by at least the tolerance setting.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, abennett said:

As recently mentioned, a checkbox is coming soon that will allow TLOD changes on the ground like they were originally but it will come with the unavoidable side effect for those that use DX12 of greater instances of tearing terrain textures with 3rd party airports.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

@Reset XPDR

For AutoFPS

It would be nice to have the possibility to set a ground TLOD value in the app (0=x, like  0=125). The value x can be set by the user and the "0" is fix.

When loading into the flight that x value is chosen, when climbing the fps target is leading, when decending also, when touching down after  decending (=ground) the set ground value is set once by the app. Ground value works the same as in dynamic lod reset app. 

Maybe, but this will add another value to enter on my supposedly simple GUI. Next thing is people will want to select a different ground TLOD for different flight types, so we need profiles by adding a drop down list. Before you know it, this simple app is optioned up as much as DynamicLOD_Reset edition! 😄

I am trying to avoid this, so at the moment if you don't want TLOD updates when on the ground then just set your ground TLOD in MSFS settings like you used to, and the app will take it from there.

As a reminder, this is how many options I envisioned for the original app and its intended click and go audience - one!

image.png?ex=65deb11f&is=65cc3c1f&hm=1be

Already it looks like this:

image.png?ex=65e15dd7&is=65cee8d7&hm=4fa

6 minutes ago, Reset XPDR said:

MSFS settings like you used to, and the app will take it from there

I do understand this very good.

This will lead to the case, that when you start a flight, all is fine because the app will choose your "in MSFS" TLOD to start with.

The downside is, that when decending, you get very high TLOD (when your Target FPS is not set to high and your machine is capable of), then when hitting the ground, the app will "fix" the last TLOD value, which was present "at" the moment you hit the ground, this is a high value, in the most cases, to high for smooth taxiing. Yesterday I got, till landing TLOD values >200,  and after I touched down it reduced quick to 105. So 105 would be the right value to maintain my "target FPS, which was 45 set by me in the app). 

With the newsest version this "105" will be around "200". That will cause stuttering.

That´s why I asked about the "fix TLOD GRound Value" set by the user.

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

18 minutes ago, Reset XPDR said:

If your FPS target wasn't being met, your TLOD does continue to adjust on decent below 1000ft, just on a sliding scale. ie. if it was 5 step max above 1000ft, it will be 4 step max at 800 ft, 2 step max at 400 ft and 1 step max at 100 ft etc to gradually taper off TLOD changes on final approach. The only reason it wouldn't reduce is if your FPS was not lower than your target FPS by at least the tolerance setting.

Ah, got it. In fact my target fps was met, hence the TLOD didn’t decrease on descent. I’m very happy that TLOD doesn’t change on the ground; in fact I haven’t seen any texture breaking with the newest version. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

The downside is, that when decending, you get very high TLOD (when your Target FPS is not set to high and your machine is capable of), then when hitting the ground, the app will "fix" the last TLOD value, which was present "at" the moment you hit the ground, this is a high value, in the most cases, to high for smooth taxiing.

That’s what I was thinking. In order to avoid changing TLOD on the ground, perhaps a better solution could be to gradually reduce it on descent to the in-sim value. Preferably above 1000ft AGL so that no changes will occur on final approach. 

On smaller airports I can get away with a ground TLOD of 200. On the biggest hubs however (yes I’m looking at you, inibuilds KLAX!), 100-150 is more reasonable on my system. 

It’s not an easy task to cater to so many different needs, and still manage to KISS! 💋