Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

2 hours ago, Reset XPDR said:

because such a cap and a tool like this that needs a tolerance band around a target FPS make their operation mutually exclusive

I was planning on using this tool, or the first variant, with capped FPS. My intention was for your tool to jump in and lower the settings as soon as the sim can't generate the FPS I want, and the FPS return to the desired value.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

A great tool you created for us. I've been there from the beginning and read everything.
I've had a lot of good experiences with it. Even bad ones like the one with DX 12.
Unfortunately I cannot use the last demo version.
It  always ends herself when she wants to build up the session.

Greetings from EDDM
and thank you for your tireless work.

EDIT:

I ran the installation with administrator.
It works now .
I think I read that you shouldn't install  Dynamic Lod + Auto FPS as  administrator.

You should only start the program with admin rights if the msfs is also set with admin rights.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

WIN 11 64 Pro, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, I7 13700K, be-quiet Loop Silent 2 WK, RTX 3090 OC, 32 GB DDR5 Kingston Fury Beast EXPO, 4x Nvme Samsung PRO, MS2020, be quiet SP11 850 Watt

Need some help. What I'm thinking/doing wrong?

Just ran a test.

At KLAX with traffic, sitting at gate (A300)

With automated version 4.0, on the ground TLOD is running at 200.  This gives me a pretty choppy experience.

With manual version 3.7, I have TLOD set to AGL / 50.  Increases to 200 as I hit 1000 AGL.  Much smoother views as I pan and steadier FPS overall.

Why would the automated version have a high (200) TLOD on the ground?  Isn't that the opposite of the desired effect?   

(Running PC store version)

8 minutes ago, caneman said:

Just ran a test.

With automated version 4.0, on the ground TLOD is running at 200.  This gives me a pretty choppy experience.

With manual version 3.7, I have TLOD set to AGL / 50.  Increases to 200 as I hit 1000 AGL.  Much smoother views as I pan and steadier FPS overall.

Why would the automated version have a high (200) TLOD on the ground?  Isn't that the opposite of the desired effect?   

The AutoLod is only increasing and maintaining TLOD if your set target fps is achieved.

If this is the case, tlod could be high BUT if the sim is not well optimized then you still will suffer from stutters 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

47 minutes ago, caneman said:

Just ran a test.

If you are running D12, the most recent (16Feb242100Z) AutoFPS version disables TLOD updates on the ground for because a few people were experiencing tearing of ground textures at 3rd party airports. For now, if you want to always start with a lower TLOD like 50, just manually set your TLOD to 50 in MSFS settings before you start a flight. The app currently reads your initial TLOD and sticks with that until in the air.

I am about to release a new concept demo version that allows you to choose whether ground TLOD updates are allowed and will be on by default.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Ahh…got it. Sorry, posted the above before seeing your reply.

Currently running DX11, so not seeing tears.

one more quick question.

With your new version, will you also need to set the initial TLOD in MSFS, or will that also be an option in the mod?

1 hour ago, Reset XPDR said:

If you are running D12, the most recent (16Feb242100Z) AutoFPS version disables TLOD updates on the ground for because a few people were experiencing tearing of ground textures at 3rd party airports. For now, if you want to always start with a lower TLOD like 50, just manually set your TLOD to 50 in MSFS settings before you start a flight. The app currently reads your initial TLOD and sticks with that until in the air.

I am about to release a new concept demo version that allows you to choose whether ground TLOD updates are allowed and will be on by default.

Just tried the Auto FPS version with the latest MSFS SU Beta and it works well, but seems to over do the downgrading. What would you recommend setting wise to favor better visuals over "great" or "perfect" performance? seems a bit aggressive if that makes sense?

Edited by Flyfaster_MTN002

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

1 hour ago, caneman said:

one more quick question.

With your new version, will you also need to set the initial TLOD in MSFS, or will that also be an option in the mod?

At the moment you don't need to set initial TLOD in MSFS if ground TLOD changes are enabled, as the app will tune to the desired TLOD while you are stopped on the ground.

Re initial TLOD, I am getting quite a few requests to allow an initial and landing TLOD, so I am considering it as an option. The new version I am about to drop won't have it but I will be taking a look at it today.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

10 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

Just tried the Auto FPS version with the latest MSFS SU Beta and it works well, but seems to over do the downgrading. What would you recommend setting wise to favor better visuals over "great" or "perfect" performance? seems a bit aggressive if that makes sense?

If it is overdoing the downgrading, it is likely your FPS target is too high so it is having to aggressively lower TLOD to achieve it. Whether you want better visuals or performance is entirely up to you, but you do have to choose one or the other. If the TLOD level is below what you want, lower your FPS target until you find a compromise that suits your current system's performance capability.

New MSFS2020_AutoFPS concept demo version 17Feb242100Z is now available here

Changes since the last version are:

• Added Use Expert Settings option. When disabled, the UI is greatly simplified and default parameters that should suit most users will be used, namely FPS tolerance is 5%, TLOD changes on ground is enabled, TLOD Minimum is 50% of your MSFS set TLOD, TLOD Maximum is 200% of your MSFS set TLOD, Decrease Cloud Quality is enabled and Cloud Recovery TLOD is 100% of your MSFS set TLOD. When enabled, the UI expands to show user changeable options for the aforementioned parameters.
  • Trial of new FG status indication. When FG is detected, the Target FPS label changes to Target FG FPS to clearly indicate that FG FPS is what should be set. Also, the sim status line will show either FG active, when MSFS has the focus, or FG inactive, when MSFS loses focus and your graphics driver automatically disables FG until you bring MSFS back to the focus again.
  • Removed TLOD step up and down settings and made them internally directly proportional to FPS tolerance as that covers the majority of use cases and allows the UI to be simplified.
  • Added TLOD changes on ground option. Generally best to leave enabled but disable it if you are getting texture corruption with DX12 and 3rd party airports. If you do disable it, make sure you set your MSFS TLOD to be what you want it to be on the ground before starting your flight. The automated TLOD will take over once you are in the air.
  • Added detected DX version to status line.
  • Cleaned out a lot unused code inherited from DynamicLOD_ResetEdition.

Screenshots of some of the latest changes:

image.png?ex=65e39e24&is=65d12924&hm=a5c

image.png?ex=65e39e40&is=65d12940&hm=1c7

image.png?ex=65e39e4b&is=65d1294b&hm=ae4

• Like 5

14 hours ago, RALF9636 said:

Ideally there would be a way to somehow identify what frame rate the system would be able to achieve without the cap and take that "potential" FPS as a reference for your tool.

For example: There is a frame rate cap at 60 FPS (by VSync or an external limiter tool). The system would be able to achieve around 70 FPS (depending on TLOD settings) if there wasn't the cap. So 70 would be the "potential" FPS. Your tool should now keep that "potential" FPS just above 60 all the time by adjusting TLOD accordingly.

I haven't given up on this capability, but at the moment I am unable to get a reliable measure of MSFS CPU and GPU load externally, let alone what headroom MSFS has for each of these parameters internally to MSFS's code, so it is currently dead in the water (or the air in our case 😄).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

That’s what I was thinking. In order to avoid changing TLOD on the ground, perhaps a better solution could be to gradually reduce it on descent to the in-sim value. Preferably above 1000ft AGL so that no changes will occur on final approach.

As recently mentioned, I have changed my stance on this and will look at trialing an option to set a ground and/or landing TLOD target to achieve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reset XPDR said:

If it is overdoing the downgrading, it is likely your FPS target is too high so it is having to aggressively lower TLOD to achieve it. Whether you want better visuals or performance is entirely up to you, but you do have to choose one or the other. If the TLOD level is below what you want, lower your FPS target until you find a compromise that suits your current system's performance capability.

Will do thanks! Is there a way to use 'reduce cloud quality' but only to a hard limit? i.e. setting Ultra clouds, but allowing for High clouds and no less?

Edited by Flyfaster_MTN002

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.