Sign in to follow this  
Brocky120

MSFS Adaptive LOD

This AutoFPS is exactly what is needed in this sim so well done sir for tackling this.

I noticed that it wasn't automatically raising the TLOD and I think I know why!

I use Vsync at 50fps so in the app I've set my Target FPS to 50 

Therefor if I have the FPS tollerance set to say 10%, I think that means the app is looking for a sim FPS of 55fps before it start raising the TLOD but it will never reach that 55 fps because I have Vsync turned on to lock at 50fps

I proved this theory by setting my Target FPS at 45 and then the app  worked, raising the TLOD as my FPS reached the Vsync rate of 50 fps

THE SOLUTION

The FPS Tollerance should only be used to determine if the App should decrease the TLOD once the fps reaches the lower FPS tolerance level.  Once the App sees the Target FPS value it should then start raising the TLOD

Hope that makes sence!

Edit:
I wonder if there should also be a time millisecond threash hold before it starts dropping the TLOD to allow for the new TLOD fps to settle. My system can take a second for the fps to settle after a 5 step or if I pan left or right 

Edited by Stona
  • Like 1

So i think the changes in LOD's causing ground textures tearing (at least under DX12)

Roi Ben

12 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

So i think the changes in LOD's causing ground textures tearing (at least under DX12)

I don't understand what you mean by tearing. I don't see anything like this.

2 minutes ago, Farlis said:

I don't understand what you mean by tearing. I don't see anything like this.

Go to some 3rd party airport. Sit on the runway/apron. Use the new autoFPS app, let it do its thing (bring TLOD up and down), part of the runway/aprons textures disappear. DX12 

Roi Ben

19 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

Go to some 3rd party airport. Sit on the runway/apron. Use the new autoFPS app, let it do its thing (bring TLOD up and down), part of the runway/aprons textures disappear. DX12 

This has been a problem with DX12 for a long time....

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/mixed-textures-in-ground-at-default-airport-dx12-beta/534963

Edited by Bond
Added link
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bond said:

This is a problem with DX12 for a long time....

True. But its more on the rare side. With the software altering TLOD dynamic its worse and happens instantly 

Edited by roi1862

Roi Ben

2 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

True. But its more on the rare side. With the software altering TLOD dynamic its worse and happens instantly 

That´s indeed a interesting finding. I further am testing AutoFPS (and DynLod too) and just a view minutes ago, I saw those textures disappearing in DX12 with AutoFPS. I turned AutoFPS of, exited VR, zoomed out with the Drone Camera, so the textures reappear again, got in the cockpit view again then activated VR again and tested the in and outside view a view times to see if the issues stays "gone". All stayed fine! No issue with textures.

But, then I started AutoFPS again and immidiately (within a splitsecond, means  <1second) )the textures disappeared again. I did this whole process 3 times in a row to rules AutoFPS out, but indeed, I could reproduce it every single time.

Airports where this happend:

EDDF and EIDW

Planes used

FenixA320 and SimHorizon 789

I am aware of the DX12 Airport texture disappearing issue and Bing Maps textures bleeding trhough then. But in my case, since SU14 and also Beta Su15 this didn´t happen anymore so often, only in very very rare cases (with excessive low FPS for example, means <32FPS, but even then not always).

Now I am aware, that probably autoFPS has an influence on this, I will test it with DynLOD_Reset again. I also thought, at my end, that DynLOD Reset has less influence compared to AutoFPS

@Reset XPDR: Just to inform you. IF there is something you are keen or aware of, why this COULD happen (I don´t have any evidence, just an assumption) then please let us know. I know that the real cause of the texture issue is probably DX12 and caching issues within MSFS.

Regards

Marcus

• Like 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

2 hours ago, Stona said:

The FPS Tollerance should only be used to determine if the App should decrease the TLOD once the fps reaches the lower FPS tolerance level.  Once the App sees the Target FPS value it should then start raising the TLOD

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Can you please rephrase?

2 hours ago, Stona said:

I wonder if there should also be a time millisecond threash hold before it starts dropping the TLOD to allow for the new TLOD fps to settle. My system can take a second for the fps to settle after a 5 step or if I pan left or right 

The new app averages FPS over 5 seconds instead of 1 second, so there should be plenty enough time for TLOD settling. If not, reduce the LOD steps.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

21 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

No much I can do about that sorry.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 5200x5200 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

8 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

@Reset XPDR: Just to inform you. IF there is something you are keen or aware of, why this COULD happen (I don´t have any evidence, just an assumption) then please let us know. I know that the real cause of the texture issue is probably DX12 and caching issues within MSFS.

I put it down to a DX12 issue, which I have seen well before this app existed. I have no idea why it would happen as LOD changes in the distance should have nothing to do with what's right in front of your nose. Even OLOD stays exactly the same so it's not that with this new app.

• Like 1

Just now, Reset XPDR said:

I put it down to a DX12 issue, which I have seen well before this app existed. I have no idea why it would happen as LOD changes in the distance should have nothing to do with what's right in front of your nose. Even OLOD stays exactly the same so it's not that with this new app.

Could it be the way "you" access the memory?

Why I ask? Because when I turn Resizable BAR on (via NVInspector) this happens also every single time I use MSFS, If I deactivate ResizableBAR again, issue is in 90% of my usage gone. 

So I assume, this has to do with memory.

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

3 minutes ago, Reset XPDR said:

My guess is that the reason DX12 users didnt see it in the old app is for the reason the TLOD remained same on the ground. With the new app it changes it dynamically. I guess more feedbacks will come soon. 

Roi Ben

20 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

My guess is that the reason DX12 users didnt see it in the old app is for the reason the TLOD remained same on the ground. With the new app it changes it dynamically. I guess more feedbacks will come soon. 

Exactly. I use DX12 on both my pc’s and with the non-automated version I have no issues.

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Just tried DX12 at ORBX YSSY and initially everything was fine. With the app running there was a brief moment of tearing but it fully recovered.

image.png?ex=65e1c3b0&is=65cf4eb0&hm=d3e

With FG only turned on, still the same but with the app turned on however, pretty much instantly missing textures. 

image.png?ex=65e1c6ca&is=65cf51ca&hm=56a

I shall investigate further!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, mpo910 said:

Could it be the way "you" access the memory?

Why I ask? Because when I turn Resizable BAR on (via NVInspector) this happens also every single time I use MSFS, If I deactivate ResizableBAR again, issue is in 90% of my usage gone. 

So I assume, this has to do with memory.

It could very well be. At least I can reproduce it on my end so, as I recently stated, I will look more into it.

One thing I am thinking is that the old app was setting whole numbers for LODs, which do get divided by 100 so 2 decimal places max but still not multi decimal places. The current version uses a calculated floating point number of many decimal places, which could be causing the upset.  I hope it is as simple as rounding the calculation result.

• Like 2