Sign in to follow this  
Recognition

Windows Defender driving me mad..

I got so fed up with windows defender running all its ape apps in the background ( even when I turned it off ) that I finally decided to remove it for good using a "DefenderRemover" tool. I`m sure it was the reason for stutters and delays on my (New)Win 11 system, actually I wish I had stuck with win 10.....Anyway I guess I`ll have to find a AV if only to run it now and again, like I do with Advanced System Care....but one things for sure I`ll turn any AV off when in Flight with P2Dv5.4 and X Plane 11

I've heard about AV with gaming modes, but should they be trusted?

• Like 1

Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF - 24 Cores... Watercooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB Black...MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK...Kingston Fury Beast RGB 128GB DDR5-5600...NVIDIA RTX 4090 24GB.

Never noticed any quirks with WD in win11. Have you added your sim folders and / or executables to exclusion?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Preferred addons: TOLISS A32N, TOGA MU-2, VSkylabs DC-3 and R66, LES DC-3, AWX DC-3

2 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Never noticed any quirks with WD in win11. Have you added your sim folders and / or executables to exclusion?

Yes I did all that but still much of it was running in the background , a AntiMalware part of it for example. 

Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF - 24 Cores... Watercooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB Black...MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK...Kingston Fury Beast RGB 128GB DDR5-5600...NVIDIA RTX 4090 24GB.

Guest Kalnon

I'm not updating to Windows 11 until MS forces me whenever they drop support for Windows 10.  Took me years just to learn all the ins and outs of Windows 10.

I am not ready spend all my time to learn a whole new OS and all the headaches that go along with it until I have too.

2 hours ago, Recognition said:

I got so fed up with windows defender running all its ape apps in the background ( even when I turned it off ) that I finally decided to remove it for good using a "DefenderRemover" tool. I`m sure it was the reason for stutters and delays on my (New)Win 11 system, actually I wish I had stuck with win 10.....Anyway I guess I`ll have to find a AV if only to run it now and again, like I do with Advanced System Care....but one things for sure I`ll turn any AV off when in Flight with P2Dv5.4 and X Plane 11

Also, you can try this. Under "Conditions," set it to start when the computer is idle after a certain amount of time.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

3 hours ago, Kalnon said:

I'm not updating to Windows 11 until MS forces me whenever they drop support for Windows 10.  Took me years just to learn all the ins and outs of Windows 10.

I am not ready spend all my time to learn a whole new OS and all the headaches that go along with it until I have too.

My Win 10 clicked effortless, but Win 11 seems somewhat strained, if that makes sense. I'm getting used to it but with Defender running all the time in the background with its Antimalware thingy, drove me mad....Now its deleted I feel I`m back on Win 10 for a user experience ...Lol

3 hours ago, LRBS said:

Also, you can try this. Under "Conditions," set it to start when the computer is idle after a certain amount of time.

Yes I did try that but the problem is Defender is running ALL the time in the background. You can see it on Task manager...And I`m sure I could hear it as well.

50 minutes ago, Recognition said:

Yes I did try that but the problem is Defender is running ALL the time in the background. You can see it on Task manager...And I`m sure I could hear it as well.

Something is going on here. As I have it set you can see it in this picture, is off. Try these settings, please.

defender.jpg

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

It was the Antimalware Service Executable, I believe the name was, that was running all the time with high memory usage. Anyway I've deleted Defender now and will never have it on the PC again.

25 minutes ago, Recognition said:

It was the Antimalware Service Executable, I believe the name was, that was running all the time with high memory usage. Anyway I've deleted Defender now and will never have it on the PC again.

Too bad. AV is necessary these days and Defender is the best there is. 

Pay me now or pay me later but one day..You’ll pay.

Best,

-B

Nice! I've done the same AND some. I've tweaked my Win 10 so I have 38 processes on boot and everything running perfectly fine.

I do manual virus scans using Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner and MS Safety Scanner. Haven't got hit with anything yet.

The less word not allowed you have running in the background, the better.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, neumanix said:

Nice! I've done the same AND some. I've tweaked my Win 10 so I have 38 processes on boot and everything running perfectly fine.

I do manual virus scans using Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner and MS Safety Scanner. Haven't got hit with anything yet.

Yes way to go. I've done a few test flights like this and all stutters have vanished into thin air......so to speak😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, neumanix said:

The fact that a process exists doesn't mean it's running. I've made my peace with the number of processes - it's what's consuming CPU time that matters. And to be honest, with 16 CPUs and PCIe 4 NVMe, short of a runaway process I don't care so much anymore about that either.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

12 hours ago, Recognition said:

I have a different experience.  When I  temporarily turn off Defender before I fly, I definitely notice the total lack of stutters and pauses.  It works well for me and I'm using Windows 11.  I got this tip about a week ago on this forum, and I'm extremely happy with the results.  Sorry it's not working for you.

Stan

Edited by spilok

I did try that spilok but the defender "Antimalware Service Executable" was still running away happily in the background, you can see it in Task Manager. 

I must say since I removed defender totally everything seems to run much better.