Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

ATC Quality

Until recently, I couldn't get any audio from the ATC, so I never bothered with it.  Then all of a sudden stating a few days ago, I can hear them.   So I have begun to use the ATC here and there.  It's really awful, much worse than what was available in FSX or FS-2004.  It sounds so robotic!  That would be less of a deal if it was accurate, but holy smokes!  Just now I tried making a flight out of Meigs Field.  I was cleared for takeoff, and then got screamed at for when I took off that I didn't have clearance.

I'm assuming everyone has the same issues with the ATC?

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

You need to use one of the available third party addons for ATC. All of them come with their own issues but are a lot better than the default ATC.

I use FSHud at the moment. It not only provides ATC but controls the AI traffic as well. So you don't have to deal with all the quirks of the default AI engine as well if you use FSHud. FSHud is not a finished product yet but still in (public) beta status. It is actively developed with a new version every few days/weeks. It has made significant progress over the recent weeks and in its current state for me it is the best option for ATC and AI traffic available for MSFS right now.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Upvote 1

What have you got the voice setting set to? I can't remember what they are but there is an option to use Azure ai voces or something.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

For a sim that claims to be "study level", default ATC is a joke. As you say, it was better in FSX/FS2004. MSFS eye-candy is great, but I think they should now concentrate their efforts on more accurate *procedures*.

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

9 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

For a sim that claims to be "study level"

No it doesn't.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Just now, Adamski_NZ said:

I stand corrected!

You're right about ATC not being very good though. Altough it's getting better. However, I don't use it because I still don't think it's good enough. That and bringing up the ATC window causes a stutter than shouldn't be there.

2 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Until recently, I couldn't get any audio from the ATC, so I never bothered with it.  Then all of a sudden stating a few days ago, I can hear them.   So I have begun to use the ATC here and there.  It's really awful, much worse than what was available in FSX or FS-2004.  It sounds so robotic!  That would be less of a deal if it was accurate, but holy smokes!  Just now I tried making a flight out of Meigs Field.  I was cleared for takeoff, and then got screamed at for when I took off that I didn't have clearance.

I'm assuming everyone has the same issues with the ATC?

You are probably offline windows voices. You need to switch to Azure. Check your settings.

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

2 hours ago, Adamski_NZ said:

For a sim that claims to be "study level", default ATC is a joke. As you say, it was better in FSX/FS2004. MSFS eye-candy is great, but I think they should now concentrate their efforts on more accurate *procedures*.

There is no program 3rd party or otherwise that could replicate complexity actual real life ATC. If there was one it would be widely use in aviation training industry. So stop kidding yourself and fly with live controller if you want experience "accurate procedures" 

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

3 hours ago, Adamski_NZ said:

For a sim that claims to be "study level", default ATC is a joke.

That’s an understatement of the century. 🙂

BATC to the rescue! 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

When you hear the number "three" being pronounced as "tree" here, there and everywhere.....you know that the voices are not real.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 minute ago, Christopher Low said:

When you hear the number "three" being pronounced as "tree" here, there and everywhere.....you know that the voices are not real.

You've clearly never been to Ireland. 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christopher Low said:

That's why I said "here, there and everywhere" :wink:

There was a weird pronunciation I heard the last time I tried it and it made me laugh out loud but I can't for the life of remember what it was.

It also has an interesting habbit of stiching two words together as though they are one which can confuse for a second. When this happens it seems to be in tandem with a tone drop on the second word which makes it sound as though the AI has put one leg into 3 foot hole it didn't see coming. All quite funny, really.

17 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

However, the ICAO pronunciation chart on the following FAA link shows the number 3 pronounced as TREE.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/fs_html/chap11_section_1.html

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Lloyd Noel (Ontario, Canada)

Intel i9 10900KF@5.2GHz / NZXT Kraken X73 AIO / MSI MPG Z590 Gaming+ / 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance LPX / Gigabyte RTX4080 Super Gaming OC / Corsair RM1000e 1KW PS / 1TB WD Black M.2 (Win 11 Pro) / 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 .(MSFS2020) / 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 (XP12) / 1TB TimeTec SATA (Misc. & FS Support)