Sign in to follow this  

Hi,

After getting some advice from Zendesk asking to locate the Context.xml file in 

C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

there no sign of this file and I've looked in all the sub-directories and still haven't found it, any help please appreciated as currently my sim is unflyable.

Thank you

JM

Do you mean "content.xml"?

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

The content.xml is not used anymore AFAIK. It might be created when you manually start ordering scenery. 

What do you mean with "unflyable"? 

If it is slow/stuttering you might have to think about any changes you made recently and undo them. 

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

1 minute ago, jurgenmitch1947 said:

Yes

I don't think the fact that not having a content.xml file present in your installation is causing your sim to be unflyable.

Time ago, the content.xml file changed its concept and now it is only used to set priorities (or layers) in the way the sim loads your scenery and add-ons.

On a custom Steam installation, its correct location should be:

C:\Users\<Your name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Here's the entire contents of mine. Paste it into notepad and then save it to the localcache folder as content.xml as a test to see if it helps.

If you do not have a Navigraph subscription, delete those 2 lines before you save it.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<Priorities>
  <Package name="navigraph-navdata-base" priority="1"/>
  <Package name="navigraph-navdata" priority="2"/>
</Priorities>

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Yes, you need to tell us what you mean by unflyable.  It the sim isn't starting at all, you could try a repair installation.  Both the marketplace and steam have the capability to do this.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, jurgenmitch1947 said:

After getting some advice from Zendesk asking to locate the Context.xml

The odd thing about that is that the "Zendesk" is even asking the question.
I wonder if it is just a potted response that has never been deleted from their potted response database.

The answer to them is that there isn't one any more.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 3

also would help if  you running  steam  version  or  ms   version

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Reader said:

The odd thing about that is that the "Zendesk" is even asking the question.
I wonder if it is just a potted response that has never been deleted from their potted response database.

The answer to them is that there isn't one any more.

From my experience, regarding MSFS, Zendesk is a waste of time.  I always look here on Avsim, and / or the official MSFS forum to try to find an answer.  

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I thought that content.xml is not used anymore, I know I could clean it with AddOnLinker before, but I think that option was removed when ASOBO stop using the file.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

@jurgenmitch1947

It is clear that you do not have a content.xml file.

It is therefore also clear that you have not been manipulating
their scenery order, or there would have been one where you
were asked to look.

What you do need to do, is to go back to the Zendesk ticket and
see if the adviser actually has any useful advice to give.

If not, then surely the experts here at the Avsim forum, if given enough
Information to work with, will be able to help, where Microsoft apparently
cannot.

Thank you for all your suggestions I have finally sorted the problem it was a file in thecommunity folder (addon) which caused all the problem, so thanks once again.

JM

Edited by jurgenmitch1947