Sign in to follow this  
Tuskin38

New Installation Tool (Simstaller)

Because people don't know how to install add-ons? 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

1 hour ago, St Mawgan said:

Because people don't know how to install add-ons? 

One thing I've come to realise since becoming addicted to fight Sims in recent years, is how there's a section of enthusiasts who can fly complex aircraft blind, but they cannot do the fundamental basics of PC usage. They struggle with windows explorer, they can't use discord, they've never gone into windows settings etc etc.

I see this tool as something perfect for them, they don't need to worry about managing zip files, extracting, copying and pasting etc, it's all done for them nice and easily.

So this tool is catered to some but certainly not all.

• Like 6

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

13 hours ago, Keven Menard said:

You can also download 20 liveries and have it install them automatically as they finish downloading or manually install them all at once.

Keven, can you use this app with add-on linker?

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Posted (edited)

So what this does is automate the extract to location process or am I misunderstanding the installation part of the program? Essentially, it saves you from a couple of clicks only, doesn't it? Like when you buy an addon within the Contrail or Orbx apps for example and they auto install.

Edited by threegreen
  • Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

15 minutes ago, threegreen said:

So what this does is automate the extract to location process or am I misunderstanding the installation part of the program? Essentially, it saves you from a couple of clicks only, doesn't it? Like when you buy an addon within the Contrail or Orbx apps for example and they auto install.

As I understand it, it gives you an auto install for something that is delivered as a compressed file, such as anything freeware from flightsim.to

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, threegreen said:

It is made to give you a similar experience to Contrail or Orbx in the sense that it makes your installs faster (on-click).

You can leave it open/monitoring and simply download things from flightsim.to or other sources in your browser. You then don't have to worry about installing things as it is done automatically in the background once the files are done downloading.

Edited by Keven Menard
  • Like 2

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

2 hours ago, Amon1973 said:

Keven, can you use this app with add-on linker?

Yes, you can have it install wherever you want so it gets captured by AL after.

• Like 2

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MarcG said:

I see this tool as something perfect for them, they don't need to worry about managing zip files, extracting, copying and pasting etc, it's all done for them nice and easily.

Since we make mods that people install in their Community folder, it is surprisingly common for users to nest folders into each other (e.g. Community/p42-util-flow-pro-2023-221/p42-util-flow-pro) and reach us for support.

Edited by Keven Menard

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

8 minutes ago, Keven Menard said:

You then don't have to worry about installing things as it is done automatically in the background.

When I got my first computer in 1981 I honestly thought we would be a little more advanced than this by 2024. If people really do 'worry about installing things' like this then the world is doomed, and deserves to be. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

2 minutes ago, St Mawgan said:

When I got my first computer in 1981 I honestly thought we would be a little more advanced than this by 2024. If people really do 'worry about installing things' like this then the world is doomed, and deserves to be. 

When this is the default community path ...

C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Community

... it is definitely something a new user would worry about.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

39 minutes ago, Keven Menard said:

Since we make mods that people install in their Community folder, it is surprisingly common for users to nest folders into each other (e.g. Community/p42-util-flow-pro-2023-221/p42-util-flow-pro) and reach us for support.

I'm an advanced PC user so your tool, as good as it looks, is of no use to me 🙂

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Just now, MarcG said:

I'm an advanced PC user so your tool, as good as it looks, is of no use to me 🙂

Thank you for the compliment 🙂 

• Like 4

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

While I’m perfectly capable of installing my own mods and updates, I currently have 11 mods I’ve downloaded from .to that are sitting in my download directory waiting for me to get my act together and install them…overcoming my laziness is where I see great potential with this program 😀

• Like 3

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

@Keven Menard

Could you explain a little more about the possible ramifications of the list of overrides that this tool provides please?