Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

VR is almost ready for primetime…

3 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I mean I can read the GNS or GTN but it's blurry it's not sharp.  I like to zoom in too.  I wonder if all of this is subjective.  It would be fun to look through everyone's headsets and make an opinion hehe.

A friend's G2 seems like a different kind of HMD compared to mine.  Noticeably better contrast and clarity, though maybe his 4080 is the real difference.

3 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I want like 1440p sharp VR all over the FOV- I think we're quite a long ways from that haha

Don't we all.  Every time I happen run in 2D I almost fall out of my chair, shocked (yet again) by the all clarity I'm missing everywhere.  Dang VR can be soooo cruel.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

. Mit dem "richtigen" Setup der Umgebung der HP Reverb G2 bekommst du (ich) diesen Bildinhalt über das gesamte Sichtfeld.

e58poqoe.jpg

Unfortunately its always going to look better when you take a screenshot like that vs someone looking directly into the headset.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Heinz Dieter's screenshot is pretty meaningless to determine the quality of a VR headset's clarity and overall visual quality, as Ryan has already pointed out. that's why proper tests are done through the lens instead of simply taking screenshots of the 2D monitor image, but unfortunately those through the lens videos introduce additional artefacts that you wouldn't have when looking through the VR headset with your own eyes, in other words the HP G2 looks much better in real life than in these difficult to set up, but admittedly very good tests. just search for "through the lens" on youtube.

DCS through the lens, from 3 years ago therefore without MSFS

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

On 2/2/2024 at 1:55 AM, TheFamilyMan said:

A friend's G2 seems like a different kind of HMD compared to mine.  Noticeably better contrast and clarity

check if you are both using the exact same settings under GENERAL OPTIONS/VR. the 3080 vs. 4090 doesn't cause the visual difference per se, but naturally you can use higher resolution and lower compression settings using a 4080/4090 and still get twice the fps (on my AMD 7800x3D that is).

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

My friend uses DLSS Quality and the default resolution settings in the OpenXR tools (MS and OXRTK), along with generous mix of mostly Ultra settings.  I use DLSS Balanced, occasionally Quality (if the weather permits), and about a 10/50/40 percent mix of Ultra/High/Medium setting with the same OpenXR environment.  One other difference is that my G2 is about a year older than his (this is his second G2, first one malfunctioned).  Both of us have older computers: 9900k and 10700k.  With my G2 I find that the visual difference between DLSS Balanced and Quality is slight, and IMHO doesn't really explain why my G2 experience seems lacking clarity-wise in comparison.  Perhaps it could be a burn-in type effect from over two years of use, but that is 100% guess (and maybe not worth mentioning).  If anything I'm not wrapped up by this but it is nudging me towards an upgrade to a Bigscreen Beyond in a year or so, which I'm sure will overwhelm 3080 ti a lot more than it is now.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

On 1/15/2024 at 8:53 AM, DD_Arthur said:

I don't do MSFS in VR. For some reason it just doesn't float my boat. Combat flight sims like IL2 or DCS are a completely different kettle of fish though!

One of the best VR flight experiences for me is online formation flying with friends. Just fantastic. Personally,  I don't think the net code for MSFS is up to that yet but we'll see what 2024 has in store for us.

One of the freakiest,  weirdly disturbing things I've experienced in VR is making a hash of a carrier landing in DCS and being run over by the carrier. You're trapped in the cockpit as this massive hull with rudder and screws passes over you! Urghhh....

It likely doesn't float your boat as a result of hardware.   I felt just like you until I upgraded my PC and now it's great.   The only drawback now is not being able to see RL control devices without lifting the headset.