Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

VR is almost ready for primetime…

7 minutes ago, eslader said:

I've tried all of the antialiasing options, including off. Some are blurrier than others but they're all blurry. Currently running TAA because it's the least blurry other than off, which looks terrible outside of the cockpit. DLSS is blurry enough that it's hard to read speed/altitude in glass cockpits, and it also creates funky tearing effects if I turn my head too fast.

Res is... Whatever the sim wants? I don't have the option of setting resolution on the VR settings side -- is that messed up? I'd been assuming the sim just checks what the VR headset's native res is and goes with that. 

On the PC setting tab, it's 1920x1080 because I only run HD monitors, and higher resolutions are not offered.

Render scaling is currently 105, but I've tried a bunch of different settings above and below 100. Above 135 or so and the sim turns into a slideshow.

Hardware is 7800x3d and a 3070Ti.

Resolution may be playing a part. If you use Open XR Toolkit, you can override the resolution being used and bump it up, effectively supersampling the image to provide more clarity. This comes at the expense of performance though so you need a beefy GPU to make the most of it. You can in theory do this in sim by render scaling but I prefer to do this in OpenXR Toolkit and leave the sim render scaling at 100.

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

55 minutes ago, eslader said:

I'd been assuming the sim just checks what the VR headset's native res is and goes with that. 

No, unfortunately the resolution may not be ultimately decided by MSFS but may be controlled by any of the VR apps involved in running MSFS VR (the Steam/Oculus runtimes, the OpenXR Toolkit or Oculus Tray Tool or Steam OVR Advanced Settings etc).

This is unfortunately one of the annoyances with VR that it is not always straightforward to determine exactly what resolution you are running and what is causing you to run at too low/too high resolution than the resolution you want. 

With my Oculus I can launch the Oculus Debug Tool when I'm in a VR game and set the debug HUD to "Layer" which will show a overlay window displaying the resolution I'm currently running. I wish I could remember what similar tool you could use with a G2, but hopefully others can help? 

7 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I mean, if I fly rural areas and turn scenery way down then yeah I can run TAA with a decent performance.  But with all my addons it's not doable.  What scaling do you use and stuff?  Do you have a link to your new gasket?

I have never touched the scaling setting, so it's default. In OpenXR Toolkit, I've actually even increased the resolution for an even sharper picture. I also use the fixed foveated rendering preset quality, which renders the outer areas of the screen in low resolution. You won't see it unless you move your eyes to the side so much it hurts, and it yields 5 FPS, making up for a few lost due to the increase in resolution. I also turned hardware accelerated GPU scheduling off in Windows, yielding another 2 FPS. MSFS settings are quite high. Be sure to stay away from ultra volumetric clouds though.

I'm averaging 36 FPS in my test scenario at the gate in FSDT KORD, PMDG 737, FSLTL traffic (2k textures) with FSHud looking east across the airport towards downtown in the cockpit.

The gasket isn't available anymore as it was a private business on Ebay, but you should find alternatives. There are quite a few options.

Edited by threexgreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

To maximize the G2 sharpness, you have to oversample the hell out of it. In OpenXR (not OpenXR toolkit), I set scale = 225% which is 1.5x oversampling, and in game I use DLSS Quality. With 4090, the center of G2 looks nearly razor sharp. My fps is around 35-40.

If you only run G2 at 100% scale, it definitely leaves a lot of room in terms of being "sharp". 

Edited by FlyIce

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

39 minutes ago, FlyIce said:

To maximize the G2 sharpness, you have to oversample the hell out of it. In OpenXR (not OpenXR toolkit), I set scale = 225% which is 1.5x oversampling, and in game I use DLSS Quality. With 4090, the center of G2 looks nearly razor sharp. My fps is around 35-40.

If you only run G2 at 100% scale, it definitely leaves a lot of room in terms of being "sharp". 

I don't think I have that kinda headroom with my 4080.  I'll give it a shot for fun though.

1 hour ago, threexgreen said:

I have never touched the scaling setting, so it's default. In OpenXR Toolkit, I've actually even increased the resolution for an even sharper picture. I also use the fixed foveated rendering preset quality, which renders the outer areas of the screen in low resolution. You won't see it unless you move your eyes to the side so much it hurts, and it yields 5 FPS, making up for a few lost due to the increase in resolution. I also turned hardware accelerated GPU scheduling off in Windows, yielding another 2 FPS. MSFS settings are quite high. Be sure to stay away from ultra volumetric clouds though.

I'm averaging 36 FPS in my test scenario at the gate in FSDT KORD, PMDG 737, FSLTL traffic (2k textures) with FSHud looking east across the airport towards downtown in the cockpit.

The gasket isn't available anymore as it was a private business on Ebay, but you should find alternatives. There are quite a few options.

Yeah I've got FFR enabled too. And GPU sched disabled as well.  My problem is likely the clouds as you say.  I can't stand flying in anything less than high.  And sometimes I even put them at ultra.  They just look horrendous and pixelated without that setting.  Compromises I guess haha.

This problem goes away if I simply throw more money at it LOL.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I don't think I have that kinda headroom with my 4080.  I'll give it a shot for fun though.

Definitely give it a try, just to see how sharp G2 can be. I tried 400% scale / 2x oversampling when I was on 3090. I was astonished to see the true sharpness of G2 for the first time, while flying at a spectacular 8 fps 🤣.  Your 4080 should do much better with DLSS. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Given all the 'try this' advice, I decided to recheck all my settings to see if I was missing something beneficial.  Bottom line - I've had my 3080 ti push to the wall in terms of the performance/quality balance in VR, getting 45-48 fps in nearly all situations though I limit FPS to 48, and nothing new/better was to be had (well, almost...read on).  I tried pushing the resolution up to see if 2D clarity was waiting at the end of the rainbow and I made it up to 160 renderscale before running into the performance brick wall of 1-2 FPS.  I saw a slight improvement in instrument readout clarity at 120 but after that I really couldn't notice any improvement, using either TAA, DLAA or no AA.   Didn't bother with DLSS since it's a downscale res -> render -> upscale using cuda core AI AA filtering processing (no comments about this, please).  I'm glad for those that find joy in the magic it may yield when using it with grossly applied supersampling, perhaps someday we'll all have GPUs that can demonstrate this effect.  BTW, I use DLSS Balanced in VR, it gives me a near 10% FPS boost over Quality at the cost of just a very slight loss in image clarity (IMHO of course).

Now for the good stuff!  First off, DX12 is back with SU14 in that VRAM is not longer being over saturated, which yield a slight performance/quality boost for me (though this is now nothing new).  But even more impressive:  Reprojection Mode no longer causes the wiggling jello effect artifacts while flying!!!!  This is HUGE, at least for me.  Now us VR users effectively have frame generation!  YAY 🌟  🌟  🍻

Primetime?  ...hell yeah!!!!   Now back to sim flying!

Edit:  My absolute conclusion - my VR image quality still sucks compared to what is easily had in 2D.  But dang, when in my VC I'll always take my G2's full immersion over looking though a window at it.

Edited by TheFamilyMan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Yep, I'm in the same boat as Familyman, and considering I'm running a 3070Ti, I've concluded there's no way I'm gonna be able to supersample to sharpness without turning it into a still-life.

I messed around with OpenXR, but didn't see any quality difference regardless of setting. I think the G2 just has some fairly severe limitations, which on release it made up for by not having a screen door effect and being higher res than anything else out there.

The temptation to get a Crystal keeps getting bigger but I know I'll have to upgrade the vid card to take advantage of it, and I'm thinking I might wait to see what the 5xxx series looks like and is priced at before I pull that trigger.

• Like 1

Moin und Hallo.

Eine interessante Diskussion, die ihr hier führt und was mich auch veranlasst, nach so langer Zeit hier mal wieder aktiv zu werden.

Möchte meine Erfahrungen mit der HP Reverb G2 (jetzt neueste Version) euch gerne vorstellen, denn  ich kann mit meiner Ausstattung und Einstellungen in VR ohne Probleme die Werbeschilder von den Taxis auf der Times Square lesen.

New York ist eine anspruchsvolle Szenerie, die ich ausschließlich als Heliflieger für mich abgestimmt habe. So kann ich die Architekturen der Häuser, sowie das komplette Areal von New York in allen Details mit höchster Auflösung richtig genießen rund das auch ruckelfrei. 

Meine Hardware:
Ein hochwertiger Rechner mit einer NVidia RTX 4090
⦁ Steamfähige VR-Brille HP Reverb G2

Softwareanpassungen MS:
⦁ Hardwarebeschleunigte GPU-Planung auf "EIN" (System, Einstellungen, Grafik)
⦁ Hier habe ich alle Exe-Dateien, die in irgendeinem Zusammenhang mit MS und SteamVR stehen, eingetragen und auf "Hohe Leistung" eingestellt.
⦁ Unter Energieoptionen "Ultimative Leistung" einstellen.

Softwareanpassungen Steam/SteamVR:
⦁ In Steam, Bibliothek alle Exe-Dateien, die auch unter hardwarebeschleunigt eingetragen sind, hier nochmals eintragen und gleichzeitig, wichtig, auch den Schieber "in der VR-Bibliothek anzeigen lassen" setzen.
⦁ In "Steam VR-Einstellungen" unter "Video" stehen jetzt alle Exe-Dateien, die unter Steam und Steam VR aktiviert worden sind. Hier können jetzt die einzelnen Exe per Schieber und insgesamt über "Video" die "Auflösung pro Auge" eingestellt werden. Vorerst aber erst bei <100 % belassen. Bei mir stehen unter Exe sowie Video die Schieber auf Rechtsanschlag.

Habe hier bewusst keine weiteren Angaben zum WIE der Dateneintragung gemacht, denn wer keine Vorkenntnisse mit Steam hat, sollte diese Leistungssteigerung mit Steam VR lieber lassen

Bis hierher hat es an der "alten" Einstellung - außer einer Leistungssteigerung - noch keine Veränderung gegeben, was sich mit den nächsten Schritten aber ändern wird.

Softwareanpassungen MSFS:
⦁ Voraussetzung zur besseren VR-Auflösung ist die Einstellung DX 12 (Beta) zu aktivieren, um auch die jetzt einzustellende Auflösung von 8K nutzen zu können, was nun zu viel mehr Details in der VR Wiedergabe führt.
Bis auf Gras, Büsche und Wasser steht bei mir auch unter VR alles auf Maximum
⦁ Um die Aufteilung des Renderings auf MS und Steam VR zu bekommen, muss nun die App OpenXR deinstalliert werden - kann aber jederzeit über die XBOX neu geladen werden.

Für eine bessere Darstellung der Bodentextur sollte auch die App MSFS2020 Map Enhancement installiert sein.

Rendering neu
⦁ Einmal über die Einstellungen im Flugsimulator
⦁ Dann über die Nvidia-Systemsteuerung
⦁ VR-Brille
⦁ Über "Steam VR-Einstellungen", "Videoeinstellung pro Anwendung" und "Video".
⦁ Windows Mixed Reality für SteamVR-Einstellungen

Wenn denn alles funktioniert und ihr auch "Steam.exe" in die Steam-Auflistung mit aufgenommen habt dann aktiviert diese noch einmal, während ihr das VR-Fliegen schon geniest, ein Wow-Effekt in der Darstellung ist euch dann sicher. 

Gruß Dieter

Edited by Heinz Dieter

I too have found reprojection to be working now, I could not use it before.

Anybody thinking of buying a headset, if you see all the glowing words in messages about the Varjo Aero, be advised Varjo announced the Aero is a deadend and not being made any more. It's pretty much last call to buy. And they are dropping support for the Aero soon.

reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYYoTZFbkOo

The death of midrange headsets in general (like the Aero)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NshsN13EL68

The best inexpensive headset might be the Quest 3 these days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVctsEt-wS4

(I'm floating along with a G2 for now).

EDIT: I mean I'm using the G2 because I need a low cost option. But if I was about to buy a low cost set, then it would be the Quest 3.

Edited by Fielder
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Well this thread went off the rails. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

23 hours ago, Fielder said:

Anybody thinking of buying a headset, if you see all the glowing words in messages about the Varjo Aero, be advised Varjo announced the Aero is a deadend and not being made any more. It's pretty much last call to buy. And they are dropping support for the Aero soon.

Yeah about that, I tried the Varjo Aero to see if it might replace my G2, and - buckle up - I consider it worse than my G2. It has some serious flaws that simply shouldn't exist in a headset that expensive, like this weird wave effect in the corners that makes everything around the edge of the screen kind of bend as you move.

Can't wait to try reprojection mode with these reports coming in. I couldn't use it before either because of all the distortion and the artifacts. If it works fine now, that's indeed a game changer.

Edited by threexgreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

On 1/19/2024 at 9:56 AM, JacquesBrel said:

That doesn't sound right. With my Quest 3, which is almost the same resolution as the G2, I can operate the GNS 530/G1000 just fine, and enter a route and select procedures and everything without zooming or leaning in. What resolution/render scale are you running, and are you using DLSS?

I mean I can read the GNS or GTN but it's blurry it's not sharp.  I like to zoom in too.  I wonder if all of this is subjective.  It would be fun to look through everyone's headsets and make an opinion hehe.

I want like 1440p sharp VR all over the FOV- I think we're quite a long ways from that haha

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |