Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

VR is almost ready for primetime…

On 1/15/2024 at 1:59 PM, threegreen said:

This isn't even accurate anymore with the newer headsets that have high resolution. With the G2, I have no trouble reading my OFP and charts or anything on an EFB or any cockpit instruments.

Only if I zoom in can I read them well - assuming you're talking about navigraph integration on the glass stuff.  The analog gauges I can read fine for the most part 

I keep feeling like I've got a different G2 than most haha.  To me only the tiny middle is sharp and clear.  The rest is like looking at a 720i resolution.

Oh I do run dlss though as TAA taxes my PC too much, especially once you add in all the payware.

Edited by ryanbatc
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

"to me only the tiny middle is sharp and clear"

that's fine with me, I move my head around or closer, just like in the real cockpit.

"I keep feeling like I've got a different G2 than most"

I get ca. 50 fps with TAA and G2, and all is crisp and clear in VR. even glass cockpits. seems you are wearing glasses, could that be a problem?

I use lens inserts from VR Optician - Prescription Lenses for VR/AR Headsets https://vroptician.com/

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

2 hours ago, turbomax said:

I get ca. 50 fps with TAA and G2, and all is crisp and clear in VR. even glass cockpits.

...with a rtx 4090 

4 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

To me only the tiny middle is sharp and clear.  The rest is like looking at a 720i resolution.

I find that the G2 is very picky about how it fits on your head.  The sweet spot shrinks noticably the further its lenses are away from your eyes, and the IPD setting has to be spot on along with perfect eye to lens alignment.  Took me a bit of time to get all that dialed in properly, though I'll admit its sweet spot still takes practice 'learning to live with'.  Got my eyes so close now that I have to trim my eyebrows every few weeks else a few hairs get in the way. 

Edited by TheFamilyMan
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

4 hours ago, turbomax said:

"to me only the tiny middle is sharp and clear"

that's fine with me, I move my head around or closer, just like in the real cockpit.

"I keep feeling like I've got a different G2 than most"

I get ca. 50 fps with TAA and G2, and all is crisp and clear in VR. even glass cockpits. seems you are wearing glasses, could that be a problem?

I use lens inserts from VR Optician - Prescription Lenses for VR/AR Headsets https://vroptician.com/

No I can't run TAA with a 4080 and 12700k...  It's too demanding with lots of payware and when in heavy clouds and with AI.

I wear glasses but not in the headset.  My vision isn't that bad so it wouldn't be a factor.

I think we just have different definitions of what sharp and clear is.  

And I don't have a 4090 lol.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 hours ago, TheFamilyMan said:

Got my eyes so close now that I have to trim my eyebrows

I bought a special VR cover facial interface and foam replacement that improves the experience on amazon. 

vrcover.com

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

7 hours ago, turbomax said:

I get ca. 50 fps with TAA and G2, and all is crisp and clear in VR

You must have a very special G2 with edge-to-edge clarity - very unique…

• Like 1

3070ti with TAA in the G2, but then I used OpenXR Toolkit to maximise performance and game settings to suit, rarely do I dip below 30fps, usually hover around 40ish unless in the middle of nowhere and it jumps to 50....or if turn FSLTL off!

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

10 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Only if I zoom in can I read them well - assuming you're talking about navigraph integration on the glass stuff.  The analog gauges I can read fine for the most part 

I keep feeling like I've got a different G2 than most haha.  To me only the tiny middle is sharp and clear.  The rest is like looking at a 720i resolution.

Oh I do run dlss though as TAA taxes my PC too much, especially once you add in all the payware.

The problem is DLSS. It applies to screens too like everything else and makes them very blurry, even more so in VR than on a 2D screen. I would like to run DLSS myself because of the performance benefit but am stuck with TAA because DLSS makes glass displays so blurry it's no fun to look at. Asobo have been talking about finding a solution but nothing happened since then. In TAA everything is very clear though and I have no trouble reading stuff, from small font on displays to charts and your OFP on a virtual EFB to the outside world.

The G2 has a small sweet spot, unfortunately. But it also has a pretty big gasket, so I've bought a replacement which is thinner to come closer to the lenses. The sweet spot is bigger this way and the FOV too. Anyone using a G2 should look into this; makes a noticeable difference for the better.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

25 minutes ago, threegreen said:

Asobo have been talking about finding a solution but nothing happened since then.

The solution is that NVidia makes it possible to mask areas of the image to be excluded from DLSS and render in full resolution, so the ball is currently in NVidia's court.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JacquesBrel said:

The solution is that NVidia makes it possible to mask areas of the image to be excluded from DLSS and render in full resolution, so the ball is currently in NVidia's court.

*Sigh* Can't imagine that's high on Nvidia's priority list if it's only an issue in MSFS.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

As per the thread in the main forum they were talking to Nvidia in 2022 about the issue.

Edited by MarcG

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

6 hours ago, threegreen said:

The problem is DLSS. It applies to screens too like everything else and makes them very blurry, even more so in VR than on a 2D screen. I would like to run DLSS myself because of the performance benefit but am stuck with TAA because DLSS makes glass displays so blurry it's no fun to look at. Asobo have been talking about finding a solution but nothing happened since then. In TAA everything is very clear though and I have no trouble reading stuff, from small font on displays to charts and your OFP on a virtual EFB to the outside world.

The G2 has a small sweet spot, unfortunately. But it also has a pretty big gasket, so I've bought a replacement which is thinner to come closer to the lenses. The sweet spot is bigger this way and the FOV too. Anyone using a G2 should look into this; makes a noticeable difference for the better.

I mean, if I fly rural areas and turn scenery way down then yeah I can run TAA with a decent performance.  But with all my addons it's not doable.  What scaling do you use and stuff?  Do you have a link to your new gasket?

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

For me on my G2, it's great but I just can't get the instruments readable without zooming in. I can see the airspeed/altitude, but if I need to program the GPS, there's no way I can see what I'm doing at default zoom. I don't think it's a sweet spot issue, because I can turn my head and look at other stuff and not have a blurriness problem. It's something I haven't figured out yet related specifically to gauges.

On the overall VR scene, I was very happy to see Pimax demonstrate their wireless module at CES. The cable isn't such a big deal to simmers (though it is a little annoying that I had to put a hook in the ceiling to loop the cable over so it didn't keep getting caught in armrests and throttle levers) but I also use VR for other gaming and, especially when I'm combining it with the VR treadmill that cable is just a pain in the butt. Having to pause and do a 360 degree pirouette in the middle of shooting monsters is obnoxious. 😉  I think the move toward less kludge will help VR become more mainstream, and as we've seen with MSFS, the more mainstream something gets the more products and options become available to us hardcore nerds.

34 minutes ago, eslader said:

if I need to program the GPS, there's no way I can see what I'm doing at default zoom

That doesn't sound right. With my Quest 3, which is almost the same resolution as the G2, I can operate the GNS 530/G1000 just fine, and enter a route and select procedures and everything without zooming or leaning in. What resolution/render scale are you running, and are you using DLSS?

46 minutes ago, JacquesBrel said:

That doesn't sound right. With my Quest 3, which is almost the same resolution as the G2, I can operate the GNS 530/G1000 just fine, and enter a route and select procedures and everything without zooming or leaning in. What resolution/render scale are you running, and are you using DLSS?

I've tried all of the antialiasing options, including off. Some are blurrier than others but they're all blurry. Currently running TAA because it's the least blurry other than off, which looks terrible outside of the cockpit. DLSS is blurry enough that it's hard to read speed/altitude in glass cockpits, and it also creates funky tearing effects if I turn my head too fast.

Res is... Whatever the sim wants? I don't have the option of setting resolution on the VR settings side -- is that messed up? I'd been assuming the sim just checks what the VR headset's native res is and goes with that. 

On the PC setting tab, it's 1920x1080 because I only run HD monitors, and higher resolutions are not offered.

Render scaling is currently 105, but I've tried a bunch of different settings above and below 100. Above 135 or so and the sim turns into a slideshow.

Hardware is 7800x3d and a 3070Ti.

Edited by eslader